Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo tapes: Criminal Inquiry EU v Ireland

Options
  • 30-06-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

I would like insight into who the Irish people should be petitioning so that a criminal investigation into the Anglo tapes gets under way.

Should we clean up our own **** with the aid of our guardians or try an Independent European body of inquiry headed up be Eva Joly? Thoughts very welcome.

Thanks

Anglo tapes criminal investigation poll: EU v Ireland 3 votes

Do it ourselves
    0%
    Ask Europe
    100%
    Think_then_talkcol.in.CrCody Pomeray 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Seanergy wrote: »
    I would like insight into who the Irish people should be petitioning so that a criminal investigation into the Anglo tapes gets under way.

Should we clean up our own **** with the aid of our guardians or try an Independent European body of inquiry headed up be Eva Joly? Thoughts very welcome.

Thanks

There's no mechanism for eu criminal investigations, and an inquiry isn't going to make much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

There's no mechanism for eu criminal investigations, and an inquiry isn't going to make much of a difference.
    What's that supposed to mean? Isn't going to make much of a difference? I personally would like to see those bankers locked up and i'm sure i'm not alone. It's mindsets like yours that has this country the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Insight? Hmmm. Not much shown by the Anglo Bankers was there? :rolleyes:

A criminal investigation is the only way forward. But I doubt that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Personally, I don't want any kind of political input into any investigation/inquiry. If you give the Dáil the power to intervene, you're also giving them the power to obstruct. And let's face it, the Troika were only too willing to insist that the tens of billions in unsecured bondholders debt be foisted onto the Irish taxpayer, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any salvation from outside our borders either.

I'd just like to see a criminal investigation. I think most of us agree it was morally reprehensible, but of course what's key is was it illegal at the time. I find it very hard to believe it doesn't constitute fraud, and on a massive scale. So to me the question is - is there any police / judicial agency in this country with the financial competence to investigate something of this magnitude? And if so, why hasn't it?

If the answer is: "the gardaí didn't act because they were under pressure not to" then who's left to trust to pursue this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

There's no mechanism for eu criminal investigations

Would 50,000 signatures not secure an EU criminal investigation?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What's that supposed to mean? Isn't going to make much of a difference? I personally would like to see those bankers locked up and i'm sure i'm not alone. It's mindsets like yours that has this country the way it is.

In sorry you feel that way but locking people up without due process because of public anger is not democratic, and nothing that was done in the bank guarantee/bailout is worth overthrowing democracy for.

Would 50,000 signatures not secure an EU criminal investigation?

No. Why would it? As hullabaloo says, perhaps there is some area of eu law that the rest of us aren't familiar with?

Insight? A criminal investigation is the only way forward. But I doubt that will happen.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a criminal investigation to happen, but I would sign a petition calling for a C.I. So the question is who would you like to lead the investigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I don't think you understand what JS was saying. It wont make much of a difference because Dail inquiries are only fact-finding exercises. They dont have the power to impose sanctions. So, in that regard, it won't make much difference.

• Advertisement

No this is not mine and has nothing to do with me. Sean Farrelly has posted on boards and on my fb page. I would like insight into who the Irish people should be petitioning so that a criminal investigation into the Anglo tapes gets under way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Ask Europe
    Seanergy you keep returning to this point and ignoring what you're being told.

A petition has no relationship to a prosecution. People might strongly dislike an action, but it doesn't make that action illegal, or criminal.

I think there is scope for a prosecution arising out of the tapes, but this has, and will have, nothing to do with a petition.

Seanergy you keep returning to this point and ignoring what you're being told.

A petition has no relationship to a prosecution. People might strongly dislike an action, but it doesn't make that action illegal, or criminal.

I think there is scope for a prosecution arising out of the tapes, but this has, and will have, nothing to do with a petition.

Okay so your saying a petition is useless? Is there anyway for the people to take action to ensure a criminal investigation?

Okay so your saying a petition is useless? Is there anyway for the people to take action to ensure a criminal investigation?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Ask Europe
    Okay so your saying a petition is useless?
    Precisely.
    Is there anyway for the people to take action to ensure a criminal investigation?
    No. People could make a complaint to the Gardaí, but the only sticky complaints I can think of must be made by the Central Bank itself.

Precisely.

No. People could make a complaint to the Gardaí, but the only sticky complaints I can think of must be made by the Central Bank itself.

Would singing this petition constitute making a complaint to the Gardaí?

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/sticky complaints I can think of must be made by the Central Bank itself[/IMG]Screen-shot-2013-07-01-at-6.26.17-PM.png

And before someone asks I have no affiliation with this petition either. I would love to hear more about sticky complaints regarding Anglo tapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's a great idea, but I think you're being naive...

Whatever the Gards do, it won't make a blind bit of difference. The inquiry will be subject to political interference.

BTW - I just heard Michael Noonan on the news saying there will be sanctions imposed on anyone not co-operating with the inquiry. I had to laugh. There's no way David Drumm and the other guy in Luxembourg are coming back for ANYTHING!! Why should they? And the Irish won't extradite...

No this is not mine and has nothing to do with me. Sean Farrelly has posted on boards and on my fb page. I would like insight into who the Irish people should be petitioning so that a criminal investigation into the Anglo tapes gets under way.

If you have evidence of a crime that has been committed, you should report it to the gardai. They can then investigate it.

Advertisement