Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home dying Ikea Ektorp couch covers

• 30-06-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

In short, has anyone done this?

I have the red ones, 2 two seaters and the are faded and tired. I want to restore their red cover with out forking out for new covers in ikea.

Thinking of trying Dylon in Tulpin red for washing machine

Any advise would be helpful!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

If the Ektorp covers are 100% cotton they'll take the Dylon dye perfectly.
    Anything less than 100% cotton will result in a lighter shade of the dye clour.

Follow the instructions on the pack, don't forget you need salt.
    Weigh the (dry) covers, you may need two packs of dye depending on the weight.

I've used the Dylon dyes many times, never had a problem with them. Wash the dyed articles separately for the first few washes after dying, just to be on the safe side. I found that after 2 washes there was no colour run.

Clean the washing machine as suggested after, the only place that I had to *really* clean was in the rubber sealer part right inside the door, the grooves held some of the dye colour but an old towel managed to remove it all.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 acermondeo

Thanks a million, I have a the moment a seat cover and back cover in the wash before I dye them. They weigh (dry) 1.2kgs so need two packs of Tulpit red machine dye and 500gms of salt.

Fingers crossed. I mean my covers are red and 100% cotton and I am dying them a similar red so it should work out. I just want a more vibrant colour and the sun faded bit restored.

Hopefullly x

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

It should be grand. It'll definitely bring up the colour to a good strong red.
    Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 acermondeo

Hi Folks
    I managed to dye a seat and a back cushion cover.I have to admit I am so delighted with the results. They look great! Colour totally refreshed. I now have to get the remaining 10-12 odd boxes of dye to finish the job.But totally happy. I read also because the covers come out creased and they are next to impossible to iron, read to put them on the couches when a little damp and hey presto no creases. It will only work with the cushion covers, the overall cover may be a different story
    Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi all,
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I want to dye some Ikea (nikkala) sofa covers as they are looking very tired.
    The main cover is are 2.6KG dry weight and it's blue- I intend to dye it blue again so I'm not trying to change colour, just revive it.

I had been looking at the iDye colour here : http://www.thedyeshop.ie/acatalog/BRILLIANT_BLUE_FABRIC_DYE.html
    It claims to be able to do 1-1.3 KG of fabric.

I have some question :
    (1) Anybody used iDye colour/dye before ?
    (2) I'm dyeing 2.6 KG so should I do 2 sets of dying (i.e. one packet and do it twice) or should I do it all in go (i.e. the 2 packs in the machine in one go) ?

Any advice would be much appreciated !

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I want to dye some Ikea (nikkala) sofa covers as they are looking very tired.
    The main cover is are 2.6KG dry weight and it's blue- I intend to dye it blue again so I'm not trying to change colour, just revive it.

I had been looking at the iDye colour here : http://www.thedyeshop.ie/acatalog/BRILLIANT_BLUE_FABRIC_DYE.html
    It claims to be able to do 1-1.3 KG of fabric.

I have some question :
    (1) Anybody used iDye colour/dye before ?
    (2) I'm dyeing 2.6 KG so should I do 2 sets of dying (i.e. one packet and do it twice) or should I do it all in go (i.e. the 2 packs in the machine in one go) ?

Any advice would be much appreciated !

I've no experience using iDye, had never even heard of it, tbh.

I've used Dylon fabric dyes many times and have often needed to use 2 boxes of dye for larger items. On those occasions I used the two boxes together in the one wash and had no problems.
    I would assume your iDye is pretty similar to Dylon, so I think the 2 dye packs in the machine in one go is your best bet.
    Just make sure the sofa covers aren't folded when you put them in the machine, the dye can sometimes become concentrated on creases, so just bundle them when you're putting them in.

Good luck!

Advertisement