Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PS3 Owner - Is my machine faulty

Options
  • 30-06-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bought a PS3 500GB super slim yesterday (Xbox 360 gamer who bought PS3 for PS plus, I enjoy my Vita so much I wanted to check out the console itself). And had a few questions/problems.
    • Game installs take a long time. Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception has been installing for almost 2 hours now. I'm not downloading anything in the background either. Same goes for any other game I installed, but this is the longest.
    • Also, the machine is emitting a really high pitched electronic sound (not a fan or hard drive sound). It sounds something like those ringtones that people had a few years ago that old people couldn't hear.
    • When games try to change the resolution to 720p (e.g. Fifa 13) the screen changes to this little rectangle - doesn't fill up the full screen and flickers like crazy, gave me a headache yesterday. I had to untick the '720p' option in display settings which seemed to fix it.
    • Is anyone elses PS Store slow / jerky when navigating through games?
    • PS store updates/ game downloads take really long to download. I'm on a 150Mb fibre connection and they crawl along. Is this normal?

I know this probably sounds like trolling, but it isn't. These are genuine issues that I'm having, and coming from Xbox, I hadn't really encountered these kinds of problems before (not that the 360 is flawless by any means, i'm on my third soon to be fourth console because of RROD and disc drive issues).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

i dont have a ps3 anymore
    but yes alot of them are quite normal
    installing can take ages, i use to just leave it installing and go do something else
    not sure about the resolution, what size tv are you watching it on? cause my tv is quite small only 21inch or something so im on 720p and no issues
    but ive heard with bigger tvs ( for xbox as well ) that little rectangles show up
    ps store was always slow and jerky
    but it is still a much better service then xbl :) so i wouldnt really mind if i still had my ps3 haha
    downloading takes long, although different people have different experiences
    i use to think it was peer to peer dling

cant comment on the sound thing as it never happened with me
    maybe its just with them newer models?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i dont have a ps3 anymore
    but yes alot of them are quite normal
    installing can take ages, i use to just leave it installing and go do something else
    not sure about the resolution, what size tv are you watching it on? cause my tv is quite small only 21inch or something so im on 720p and no issues
    but ive heard with bigger tvs ( for xbox as well ) that little rectangles show up
    ps store was always slow and jerky
    but it is still a much better service then xbl :) so i wouldnt really mind if i still had my ps3 haha
    downloading takes long, although different people have different experiences
    i use to think it was peer to peer dling

cant comment on the sound thing as it never happened with me
    maybe its just with them newer models?

Hi 2Mad,

Then that is really disapointing, I think I've spent more time installing and downloading games than actually playing them.

Watching it on a 42" philips full HD set. The PS+ service is great and a better offering than Xbox live Gold, but not sure if the overall experience is better.

Is there any way of sorting your games on the XMB? I've just got this huge list of games (some are in bubbles and some not, can I delete the ones in bubbles does anyone know?) and it's cumbersome flicking through it to find what I want. Doesn't seem to be any kind of logical order on it.

Well the sound thing sort of comes and goes, today I haven't really noticed the high pitched sound but it was really noticeable yesterday.

Thanks for your input though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,374 ✭✭✭✭noodler

funkyflea wrote: »
    Hi all,

• Game installs take a long time. Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception has been installing for almost 2 hours now. I'm not downloading anything in the background either. Same goes for any other game I installed, but this is the longest.

Are these all downloads? I had UC 3 on disc.

But the game itself is like what, 25 gbs? I wouldn't be surprised its a lengthy install.
    • Also, the machine is emitting a really high pitched electronic sound (not a fan or hard drive sound). It sounds something like those ringtones that people had a few years ago that old people couldn't hear.

It beeps when you turn it on. Also if you force reset it (like if it crashes) when you hold the power button.

Any other beeps are a mystery to me though.

When games try to change the resolution to 720p (e.g. Fifa 13) the screen changes to this little rectangle - doesn't fill up the full screen and flickers like crazy, gave me a headache yesterday. I had to untick the '720p' option in display settings which seemed to fix it.

Weird, I meaif you click on all the resolutions in the settings then it should pick the most appropriate one. You have a FULL HD TV but 1080p isn't available on games generally so 720p is the default.

Is anyone elses PS Store slow / jerky when navigating through games?

Preferred the old one alright.

PS store updates/ game downloads take really long to download. I'm on a 150Mb fibre connection and they crawl along. Is this normal?

I just did a bordlands 2 required update of 500mb. It downloaded in 8 minutes an installed in two.

It seems to depend on how many people are downloading something at a given time.

I know this probably sounds like trolling, but it isn't.

A little.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hi all,

Bought a PS3 500GB super slim yesterday (Xbox 360 gamer who bought PS3 for PS plus, I enjoy my Vita so much I wanted to check out the console itself). And had a few questions/problems.
    • When games try to change the resolution to 720p (e.g. Fifa 13) the screen changes to this little rectangle - doesn't fill up the full screen and flickers like crazy, gave me a headache yesterday. I had to untick the '720p' option in display settings which seemed to fix it.
    • Is anyone elses PS Store slow / jerky when navigating through games?
    • PS store updates/ game downloads take really long to download. I'm on a 150Mb fibre connection and they crawl along. Is this normal?

I know this probably sounds like trolling, but it isn't. These are genuine issues that I'm having, and coming from Xbox, I hadn't really encountered these kinds of problems before (not that the 360 is flawless by any means, i'm on my third soon to be fourth console because of RROD and disc drive issues).

I have 150MB too and d/l and installs are slow enough.

You can buy your games here, https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/home/games much easier to navigate and then go to your purchased games to d/l them.

I know nothing about the sound/tv issue but it doesn't seem right to me - it's possible you got a dud console.
    Hi 2Mad,

Then that is really disapointing, I think I've spent more time installing and downloading games than actually playing them.

Watching it on a 42" philips full HD set. The PS+ service is great and a better offering than Xbox live Gold, but not sure if the overall experience is better.

Is there any way of sorting your games on the XMB? I've just got this huge list of games (some are in bubbles and some not, can I delete the ones in bubbles does anyone know?) and it's cumbersome flicking through it to find what I want. Doesn't seem to be any kind of logical order on it.

Well the sound thing sort of comes and goes, today I haven't really noticed the high pitched sound but it was really noticeable yesterday.

Thanks for your input though.

You can delete anything you have d/l'ed - press triangle and scroll to delete.

You can group your games how you want - with a game highlighted press triangle and scroll down to "information" and put in what you want to categorise it to - ie "FPS" for fpss' and it will group all your fpss' together once you update the "information".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

On the sorting issue if you put yourself over one of the games you downloaded press triangle and then square will allow you to group by content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thanks for the info guys. I've been googling it and found a lot of people with the super slim can hear the high pitched sound so it might just be something to do with the console.

Had a weird issue with Fallout 3 last night, where the console kept defaulting the game to 576p and squishing it into a little box on the screen. Had to restart and switch HDMI ports a few times and it seemed to correct itself, thought that was weird.

But to add some balance, PS+ is really good value and Motorstorm/Uncharted are brill. Can't believe I missed out on these for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

To be honest,it sounds like your PS3 is fine.You may need to configure your display settings on the PS3 setting menu,to match that of what your TV can handle.
    Regarding your downloading and online experience.You should check and see what NAT type you are on,in the network connection status section of your PS3.
    Anything between Nat type 1 and 2 should yield a good online experience.But if you are Nat type 3,you could google around or look here on setting your PS3 in a DMZ.This should help a fair bit.

Advertisement