Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions needed!

Options
  • 30-06-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi, I have around 15k to invest and I would like to do either of the following around my home which is on 1 acre:

1). build an insulated 2 span workshop / shed connect to 3 phase power and rent it for around 350 - 400 euros per month. I have gotten quotes on the shed build and I should be within budget.

or

2). convert my detached garage to a living space and rent it out for around the same money. I am only about an hour from Dublin and 10 mins from shops etc.

If anybody has any experience in this type of thing or if you just wanna give me your tuppence worth that would be great (please no prize bond, stock market or savings account investment advice - not interested....)
    also I know about planning application complications etc but that is not what im after here just opinions on which you think would be a better investment and why.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How much would you get for renting out your garage? Also would €15K be enough to bring it up to current rental standards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Bluegrass1

hi, I have around 15k to invest and I would like to do either of the following around my home which is on 1 acre:

1). build an insulated 2 span workshop / shed connect to 3 phase power and rent it for around 350 - 400 euros per month. I have gotten quotes on the shed build and I should be within budget.

or

2). convert my detached garage to a living space and rent it out for around the same money. I am only about an hour from Dublin and 10 mins from shops etc.

If anybody has any experience in this type of thing or if you just wanna give me your tuppence worth that would be great (please no prize bond, stock market or savings account investment advice - not interested....)
    also I know about planning application complications etc but that is not what im after here just opinions on which you think would be a better investment and why.
    thanks

Be careful of planning permission. I got planning to build a detached garage but it was strictly on the basis that it would be ancillary to the main house. No separate letting involved. A neighbour did the same and was hounded by another neighbour during the build and after to make sure he didn't breach the planning conditions.
    The same applies to commercial usage on a residential site. I know someone facing court over a situation of an unauthorised unit on the site of a dwelling house.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Almost €5k p.a. is roughly a 30% yield. That's very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Almost €5k p.a. is roughly a 30% yield. That's very strong.

except that ignores any initial outlay on the building itself so its not really a 30% yield.

Nor is it likely that the OP will get planning permission for either change of use so its moot.

Advertisement