Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angler Licence Fee Poll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 patgmail

Neutral
    Count me out for one. I struggle to afford my fishing as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

No
    i have no issue with it so long as I don't have to pay again for mysalmon/trout licence..

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

breghall wrote: »
    i have no issue with it so long as I don't have to pay again for mysalmon/trout licence..

Same as breghall don't want to have to pay for two

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

No
    realrebel wrote: »

I disagree with that statement 100%, the reason being that salmon fishing is somewhat controlled and maintained by the fact that you need to get a specific licence do do it, wrapping it up in one overall licence will see the end of salmon in Ireland as you'll have every angler in the country fishing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

No
    realrebel wrote: »

Same as

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

Will not pay

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Two sides to the argument.

As a salmon angler, I often wonder why I have to pay the State for my fishing, and all the trout/pike/coarse/sea anglers don't have to pay a penny to the State.

As a regular sea angler also, I see fish stocks falling all the time, and the State facilitating overfishing by commercial fishermen, and I wonder why the hell would I pay for that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Neutral
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Two sides to the argument.

As a salmon angler, I often wonder why I have to pay the State for my fishing, and all the trout/pike/coarse/sea anglers don't have to pay a penny to the State.

As a regular sea angler also, I see fish stocks falling all the time, and the State facilitating overfishing by commercial fishermen, and I wonder why the hell would I pay for that....
    Pike and coarse fished are not taken care of Like salmon are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Neutral
    Its hard to give a solid answer. We dont know enough about it yet.
    I voted 'No' anyway because with everything else in this country, we'll be the ones screwed at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have to go neutral for now. I have no problem in principal with a licence, once money from the different sections is ring fenced and so coarse fishing is properly protected and developed. I would 100% oppose it if it all went in a central pot, and then be spent almost entirely on Game fishing.

• Advertisement

Pike and coarse fished are not taken care of Like salmon are...

In what way are salmon "taken care of" better than pike or coarse fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

In what way are salmon "taken care of" better than pike or coarse fish?

well they are not culled my IFI for a start.

Im not too sure what to make of the angler contribution. In theory, its a good idea, as it will give more money to IFI who are pretty much broke. I just hope the money is used correctly

well they are not culled my IFI for a start.

Fair enough, although that only happens in a handful of game fisheries, and pike are not culled in hundreds of other fisheries. Pike are also culled in those few fisheries in order to boost numbers of wild trout - so its nothing to do with salmon. Trout anglers don't pay a licence either.

In what other way are salmon given preferential treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

No
    Before you vote you should be aware of what iis proposed. Below is what IFPAC have submitted which is more or less in line with what several other federations have proposed. This is the submission re new legislation and the proposed angler registration is part of that
    IFPACSubmission1_zpscb2b19b5.jpg
    IFPACSubmission2_zps2075b4ab.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Neutral
    €40? Good God! That's an awful lot on top of club membership and just the ongoing costs of the hobby. I might just take up golf ;)

John, I wanted to ask this at the meeting in Lucan, do you know what the future is for the Suck/Inny permit? Im assuming it will be scrapped if the angler contribution is introduced?

No
    John, I wanted to ask this at the meeting in Lucan, do you know what the future is for the Suck/Inny permit? Im assuming it will be scrapped if the angler contribution is introduced?
    Thats what we want

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Neutral
    I won't pay it

bayliner wrote: »
    I won't pay it

As a matter of interest, for those who say they won't pay it: Did you pay the household charge? Or the property tax? Government is going to be making us pay for everything in the future, water charges, etc., so if this is introduced there will probably be no way to avoid it if we want to fish. I held out on the HHC until it was inevitable I'd have to pay whether I wanted to or not, paid the property tax (grudgingly) and have no doubt I'll pay a charge to fish if that's the only way I'll get to pursue my hobby...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Neutral
    Government is going to be making us pay for everything in the future, water charges, etc., ...

you probably don't remember the 70% income tax rate FG imposed in the 80s. Bend over a little more.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Neutral
    there will be another rod license dispute if this is brought in!! we will fight it with or without ye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

No
    I am all for it if it done right, which I fear it won't be....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Neutral
    danbrosnan wrote: »
    I am all for it if it done right, which I fear it won't be....

Why are ya all for it then when ya know damn rightly they,ll make a mess of it like everything else if it ain,t broke ...........

No
    madchild wrote: »
    Why are ya all for it then when ya know damn rightly they,ll make a mess of it like everything else if it ain,t broke ...........

if it aint broke
    Well its heading that way.
    The number of IFI protection and development staff is down around 30% on what it was a few years ago and staff numbers will drop more. None are being replaced. Who is going to protect and develop our waters
    Due to anti social behaviour access to more and more rivers and lakes (coarse) is being closed off by landowners
    We have lots of cowboys out there netting and fishing illegally
    We , the anglers , need to come on board more to protect and develop our fisheries.
    If the angler registration contribution system does come in the funds collected will be 100% ringfenced and will be spent on protection, development, youth angling etc. All things that most of us would like to see done.

Neutral
    There is no such thing as ringfencing.

All it takes is a new government and everything is up for grabs.

When gun licences were introduced in the early '70s, the money was ringfenced for gun club projects.

It was cut over and over until they stopped all funds from the licence in 1985.

Of course, the prospect of funds to administer was very attractive to the shooting organisations.

Yuba.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as ringfencing.

All it takes is a new government and everything is up for grabs.

When gun licences were introduced in the early '70s, the money was ringfenced for gun club projects.

It was cut over and over until they stopped all funds from the licence in 1985.

Of course, the prospect of funds to administer was very attractive to the shooting organisations.

Yuba.

Currently, 50% of the salmon licence is ringfenced, and has paid for a lot of habitat improvement work on salmon rivers in the last few years, as well as installation of fish counters to monitor runs. Not saying you're wrong, but ringfencing can work, and currently does.

Currently, 50% of the salmon licence is ringfenced, and has paid for a lot of habitat improvement work on salmon rivers in the last few years, as well as installation of fish counters to monitor runs. Not saying you're wrong, but ringfencing can work, and currently does.

this is the only reason I'm in favor of the contribution. There are many coarse lakes within 30 mins from me, with stands that are too dangerous to fish. One lake had 30 stands build around 10-12 years ago, only 9 or 10 are safe to fish off at the moment. There are lots of lakes like this around the country, it wont take much money to fix them, but currently IFI has no money to do it.

These development projects get done for salmon angling, because the salmon anglers are putting money towards it.

I just hope that the money for coarse/pike will be ringfenced, and spent on coarse/pike projects.

No
    madchild wrote: »

Something has to change... there too much bull****ting going on with regards to course and sea fishing, its a free for all because it isn't licensed, the thing about goverment and sites like this, is that its all just opinions, actions speak louder then words...

People need to take our fisheries departments and really do a shake up, change the whole mentality... More ambition is needed and i fear it be a long long time before that happens...

WE JUST MIGHT DESTROY EVERYTHING BEFORE WE MAKE IT BETTER

No
    jkchambers wrote: »
    if it aint broke
    Well its heading that way.
    The number of IFI protection and development staff is down around 30% on what it was a few years ago and staff numbers will drop more. None are being replaced. Who is going to protect and develop our waters
    Due to anti social behaviour access to more and more rivers and lakes (coarse) is being closed off by landowners
    We have lots of cowboys out there netting and fishing illegally
    We , the anglers , need to come on board more to protect and develop our fisheries.
    If the angler registration contribution system does come in the funds collected will be 100% ringfenced and will be spent on protection, development, youth angling etc. All things that most of us would like to see done.

Thank god, abit of reality being spoken... We all are not blindfolded

• Advertisement

Neutral

I see a lot of nudging and spinning going on here.

Just one other point, for anyone who can be bothered to separate the wheat from the chaff:

Water has become a valuable and scarce commodity.

Forget about a government reaching down the back of the sofa for spare change for a minute and think -

They are going to charge for water, surely they need to control who has access to a something they are making money from.

I mean, a potato farmer is not going to let you camp in his fields with a fork or shovel.

Once access is controlled, other stipulations, conditions etc. can follow in due course.

Thin end of the wedge, people?

Advertisement