Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angler Licence Fee Poll

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

No
    yubabill1 wrote: »
    I see a lot of nudging and spinning going on here.

Just one other point, for anyone who can be bothered to separate the wheat from the chaff:

Water has become a valuable and scarce commodity.

Forget about a government reaching down the back of the sofa for spare change for a minute and think -

They are going to charge for water, surely they need to control who has access to a something they are making money from.

I mean, a potato farmer is not going to let you camp in his fields with a fork or shovel.

Once access is controlled, other stipulations, conditions etc. can follow in due course.

Thin end of the wedge, people?

If people think the goverment a are actually controling our water at the moment, then they are in cuckoo land...

The fishery board will have the gather more revenue anyway as they are at a loss at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just one other point, for anyone who can be bothered to separate the wheat from the chaff:

Forget about a government reaching down the back of the sofa for spare change for a minute and think -

They are going to charge for water, surely they need to control who has access to a something they are making money from.

I mean, a potato farmer is not going to let you camp in his fields with a fork or shovel.

Once access is controlled, other stipulations, conditions etc. can follow in due course.

Nudging and spinning? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Neutral
    I love all this talk about IFI and manageing waters. You must all live in areas with great fishing. Some of us only have access to a few small streams or totally unmanaged lakes. Many around here are not in clubs or federations and struggle to find any decent fishing within miles. Will all this ringfenced money allow for providing fishing facilities to the less well endowed areas of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

You raise an interesting point around the ownership of the water. As I understand it and taking Lough Corrib as my example the lake is owned by the people of Ireland and was given to us by Queen Anne (whether it was hers or not to give is a whole different discussion :-) ). I heard this in a pub discussion so may have picked up the finer points incorrectly but do think the lake isn't owned by the state per se, rather by the people.

The IFI presentation talked to seeking to establish title over the waters - who owns what. It was before my time but from talking to locals this is part of the rod licence row again in that if a government body establishes title over a stretch of water they can then impose whatever conditions they want over it. As it currently stands, rightly or wrongly anyone can fish Corrib and I think this isn't a bad thing.

The IFI do some great work but their funding has been drastically reduced and monies such as the Friends of Lough Corrib fund (Cairde Loch Corribe) can only do so much. My current club fees already go towards a number of bodies so in principle I'm not against a fee of some sort - just not happy about having to pay it on top of what I'm already paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

No
    I love all this talk about IFI and manageing waters. You must all live in areas with great fishing. Some of us only have access to a few small streams or totally unmanaged lakes. Many around here are not in clubs or federations and struggle to find any decent fishing within miles. Will all this ringfenced money allow for providing fishing facilities to the less well endowed areas of the country?

I completely agree with you, in fact there is unmanaged waters all around us, they everywhere, i would go far as saying possibly 80 % of our waters are not managed, i from kerry which is full of streams, rivers and lake and the vast majority are not managed... Every water course should be managed even if it only holds a few small brown trout, i know people in france who can only fish for small brown trout and they manage them waters... The government have completely mistreated the potential of irelands waters... Not just this government but every government since the start of the irish republic..

• Advertisement
Advertisement