Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Subject Choice Help

• 30-06-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi, I have my mind set on veterinary medicine but I need help with my subject choices. My core subjects are

Maths
    English
    Irish
    French
    Chemistry (required for vet med)

I also really want to do biology as it is meant to be very relevant to vet med. Id like to do 7 subjects as I may drop down to ordinary in Irish/maths depending on what teacher I get so I need one more.

Music was my best subject for JC but I'm unsure if my practical standard would be suitable for LC (I play guitar).

My next option would be Ag Science but I thought that maybe 3 sciences (Chem bio ag science) would be handful.

Basically my question is should I take music or ag science? Any advice from anyone taking these subjects for LC would be a great help thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Hi! I was just like you at the start of 5th year wanting to do veterinary but I have since changed my mind (I think haha second thoughts creeping in about the CAO at this stage!).
    So anyway I did chemistry, biology, music and French. It does say that biology is a huge advantage for vet med and from some of the threads on here I've seen vet students say that too, so I'd say you're better off doing biology- I wasn't too fond of it but love chemistry, but loads love biology and it's handy enough!
    I'm so glad I picked music because it's so different from every other subject and if you are good at it and really into it it's grand especially with the 50% practical!
    Loads of people I know that did ag science say that it's grand too and I suppose it would be more related to veterinary than anything else but I suppose I'm saying that from my experience it was nice to have music as a change from all the science! You could always do ag science as an eighth outside of school maybe?
    Anyway I've forgotten your original question but I think I said everything! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

If music was your best for the JC you should be grand with the practical- you can do technology for some of it so you wouldn't have to perform as many songs that way. As long as your not chronic like you'll be fine; they mark you on how well you play what you're playing whether its grade 5 level or grade 8 so you won't be compared to other students!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Ag science would overlap quite a bit with biology. I think something like 3 of the long questions that come up on the ag science paper, you cover on the biology course. And no way, chem, bio, and ag would not be a handful. I know people who do 4 of the sciences (w/ physics), and they love it. If you like biology and you think you have an interest for ag science, I'd go with it.

Vet Med was #2 on my CAO but I recently bumped it down to 5 (I'm still unsure whether or not to put it back up).
    Anyway, I just thought I'd say that I did work experience in a Vet's and I had an interview with the head Vet Surgeon there. She said that the most useful subjects for the course are Biology, Chemistry and Higher Level Maths.
    There might be more subjects that are useful but since I did these she said I would be well prepared for the course by doing well in these subjects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Have you properly looked into vet med and what it entails (what's covered and so on)? My parents took it and say it had huge drop-out rates because people would take it up just because they like animals, without realising what it's actually about.

If you're concerned about points, keep in mind that Ag Science has a lower average and higher point spread than Music. Music also has low fail rates, but Ag Science is much more relevant to you.

If you'd like to mess around with a few subjects and see what's good for you, my site (lcpoints.eu) might be helpful. Keep in mind to adjust for how well you perform in individual subjects. (see the Tailoring Your Results section on the Interpreting the Results page)

• Advertisement
Advertisement