Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Shells - in Polised Concrete

Options
  • 30-06-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I seen this in a hotel we stayed in on honeymoon and are considering it for a renovation job we are planning. Apparently it is pretty popular around the Indian Ocean, Thailand, etc. - probably as it is on of the only reliable sources of aggregate. I was chatting to one of the guys recommended on this forum who does polished concrete and he said he could do it if we supplied the shells.

Therein lies the problem - I think I would need around a tonne of shells or more to cover the area, and I don't know if I'm allowed collect them from breaches or if my back would hold out when doing it.

Has anyone seen this in Ireland or even the UK, or does anyone know where I could buy sea shells in bulk?

I can find 1 kilo bags online for ~€18 - but reckon that would be close to €20k and don't think the postman would appreciate it.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

tedimc wrote: »
    I seen this in a hotel we stayed in on honeymoon and are considering it for a renovation job we are planning. Apparently it is pretty popular around the Indian Ocean, Thailand, etc. - probably as it is on of the only reliable sources of aggregate. I was chatting to one of the guys recommended on this forum who does polished concrete and he said he could do it if we supplied the shells.

Therein lies the problem - I think I would need around a tonne of shells or more to cover the area, and I don't know if I'm allowed collect them from breaches or if my back would hold out when doing it.

Has anyone seen this in Ireland or even the UK, or does anyone know where I could buy sea shells in bulk?

I can find 1 kilo bags online for ~€18 - but reckon that would be close to €20k and don't think the postman would appreciate it.:D

There are plenty of young people off school for the summer looking for a bit of pocket money, I'm sure you'd manage it in a few days for a few hundred euros.

Also,
    tedimc wrote: »
    one of the guys recommended on this forum
    Just to point out that we don't actually recommend anyone, the forum may provide a platform for individuals to meet, but the Construction & Planning Forum doesn't actually recommend anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Good call on the summer workers, never thought of that approach and will definitely consider it.

Agreed on the recommendation also - sorry, poor choice of wording on my part.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

My two daughters spent a very enjoyable two hours on the beach yesterday collecting shells and the rest of the day with buckets of water cleaning them

2 big buckets of them,now if they taught they could make money doing it it would be heaven,imagine turning sea shells into Barbies

Went looking for images of sea shells in polished concrete and found this

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/116223227/Glow-In-The-Dark-Concrete---What-is-it

Now that is cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Yes - I agree, very cool indeed!!

I would be just wary if the glow would lessen over time? Would definitely be handy at night though.

It's very hard to get decent pictures online, but the ones below may give a better idea. Don't do it justice, but it definitely looked the part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

The wall between some properties and the cliff footpath in Howth has shells in concrete on it. Looks very well, not polished though its rough.

Advertisement