Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Spain or Portugal

Options
  • 30-06-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So finally I have the ability to move to the sun. Yes already know all the common sense stuff about renting for a while and the whole purchase process ! What I am missing is some good pointers from some of you of those small coastal communities you have lived, or are living.
    Im single and 50-60, photographer and ideally looking for non tourist areas, accessible all year and some great people there. Love to hear from you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

This may also be of help. Seems to be more aimed at British expats, but they could help too - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marmac66

hi,,only just signed up here,,so have no idea what im doing,,im a 47 year old irish that would dearly love to work and live in the sun,,but because of my age and i only speak english,,its very difficult to no where to start,,hope i am not intruding,,just thought may be you could help with some advice, thank you,,, Maria,

Depends what you do. Just because you speak English wouldn't rule you out going to a non English speaking country. I mean, you could work as a bar tender in an Irish bar and Spain, and probably get by without Spanish at first...

What do you do? What type of place would you like to live in? Big, small, by the sea, inland?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

There are a lot of expats in my area of Spain that have lived here for over 10 years and still don't speak a word of Spanish and yet are still managing to make a living here! I don't agree with it, but in a lot of the coastal areas Spanish is not a necessity particularly to begin with, but it does depend on the type of work you are willing to do. It does make life a lot easier if you do eventually learn the language.

Can't imagine Spain or Portugal good for work at the moment though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

seachto7 wrote: »
    Can't imagine Spain or Portugal good for work at the moment though...

It is a bit of a disaster here at the moment. A lot of people are out of work and heading back to the UK or Ireland as their dream of a life in the sun is over.

Advertisement