Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Austria

Options
  • 30-06-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

Niall Somers 9 hours 4 seconds, some debut although I am sure he will have some sleepless nights about where he could have made 4 seconds.

Eimear Mullan could be the new IM record holder Female or Male soon the way she is going - 9 hours and 5 minutes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Some storming Irish performances. Somers a 3:03 marathon :eek: enough for 1st in his AG. Noelie Kavanagh 9:20, 3:08 marathon. E Mullan building a serious rep now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Very impressive by some of the Irish today, it has really whet the appetite for FF next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

9.05 I think it was well done by Eamer Mullen !!
    To compare the quality of that performace she was 5 min behind the currernt Irish half Ironman male champ who did quite well with a 9 .00.04 in his first ironmam ( and he would likley have beaten the irish Ironman record in austria if it had been the same course as 2011)

Will be great to see her going sub 9 soon and becomng a tier 1 pro.

Looks like ironman austria got their act togheter and had an accurate course.Well done to the organicers.
    I am 100% sure the bike was not short looking at male times
    Run looks very legit looking at male pro times.
    Swim maybe 90 sec shortbut swim times always fast in austria

ups sorry did not see that post !

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

How does the time by Somers compare to the best Irish IMs? The record is 8:49?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ritchi wrote: »

Full length IM this year I gather.

Ritchi wrote: »

hard to say its withinin the margin of error toleranze to say whats faster but the tendency is that Nials time is a bit faster given the shortness of the course in 2011.but it very tight i would say somer s time is about 8.46 in 2011 currency.

Anyway the real deal time is Eamer Mullen which if you give about a 45 min gender bonus equalls 8.20h for a male.

Or in other words her bike and run was gav quality in kilkee ( her swim about 23.30 min kilkee quality)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

It looks like the move to Lanza and team TBB was definitely a good one for Eimear. Great to see her performing so well. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

First IM and loved it. It went a lot better than I thought it would in the en for me.
    It really is some event.

Anyone know where is the best place to buy IM clothing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

peter kern wrote: »

Looks like ironman austria got their act togheter and had an accurate course.Well done to the organicers.
    I am 100% sure the bike was not short looking at male times
    Run looks very legit looking at male pro times.
    Swim maybe 90 sec shortbut swim times always fast in austria

100% sure without being there?

Brave words typed there Peter...
    And ones I'm gonna have to shoot down with a Garmin file I saw in twitter land.

Bike just a little short at 176.4km.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/335943827

Still certainly close enough and much better than prev short course.

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »

http://connect.garmiun.com/activity/335943827

178 the year I did it 2010.

Believe it closer to 170 in 2011 though

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My bike odo, which is always pretty spot on, said the distance was right last year. I don't trust garmins seeing as mine told me I covered a couple of hundred metres when i left the gps on while on the turbo.

on sunday on the downhills mine was telling me my HR was 250....fairly sure that wasnt right :p

Fazz wrote: »

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/335943827

look I am not really interested in distance I look at the top guys and they would tyrpcally do around 46 4.23 2.40 on a accurately meassured course. so swim times are a bit fast bike times are a bit slow and you know mike twelsik is a guy of chris lieto quality ralert with a 4.14 split in roth etc etc . It waas extremly windy for austria. all the people i know rode slower than they would usuallly do
    the thing is ironm man recods etc is the biggest bull...t so i try to normalise results and from that i am seriously sure that when raelert twelsik et all dodn go sub 4.25 the course is accurate in a normaliced way. but again in a way ironman records are totally meaning less ( yet people want them despite the fact that they mean nothing if not normaliced - which is not easy

for example my 8.52h in my head is more like 8.58 -9
    am I always correct with this surely not but arrogantly enough i trust my own judgement based on condtions at race, peoples splits and accounts from race venue more than a garmin file.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

miller82 wrote: »
    First IM and loved it. It went a lot better than I thought it would in the en for me.
    It really is some event.

Did you get your Ironman tattoo yet?

Did you get your Ironman tattoo yet?

Ha, nope. Still flirting with the idea

It really is some event.

Congrats! :cool: Will you be posting a race report?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

tunney wrote: »
    178 the year I did it 2010.

Believe it closer to 170 in 2011 though

176.87 according to my file from last year. My Garmin Connect history doesnt go back far enough to see 2011 file. I assume picking a pro that has done the race for the last 3 years would be a good measure of the distances.

Tom Lowe did 4:29:04 in 2011 for a 4th place finish and 4:30:01 last year for 6th.

Erika Csomer 5:00:11 last year and 4:58:03 this year.

Cant bloody find anyone in the top end that has raced 3 years in a row

gilleek2 wrote: »
    176.87 according to my file from last year. My Garmin Connect history doesnt go back far enough to see 2011 file. I assume picking a pro that has done the race for the last 3 years would be a good measure of the distances.

Tom Lowe did 4:29:04 in 2011 for a 4th place finish and 4:30:01 last year for 6th.

Erika Csomer 5:00:11 last year and 4:58:03 this year.

Cant bloody find anyone in the top end that has raced 3 years in a row

Temperature differences too.

2011 was perfect - dull and cool
    2013 was swelteringly hot

I assume u mean 2012 was hot. I doubt it made as much of a difference on the bike as it did in the swim and run but anyway.

Dull, cool and short in 2011 should equate to considerably quicker time than 2012 which apparetly was longer & was c.35 degrees. Shouldn't it??

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you mean 2012 was hot. This year was low to mid 20s

pgibbo wrote: »
    Congrats! :cool: Will you be posting a race report?

i was going to do one for the club website. I could chop and change a bit and throw it up here i suppose

i was going to do one for the club website. I could chop and change a bit and throw it up here i suppose

Cheers. Alternatively link to the club website report. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you mean 2012 was hot. This year was low to mid 20s

Was closer to 28/29 on the run this year, there was a good breeze on the bike that helped keep things cool, the out and back towards krumpendorf felt pretty warm as its so exposed, the rest of the course wasn't so bad.

I have bike clocked at just over 177.5 btw.

trinewbie wrote: »
    Was closer to 28/29 on the run this year, there was a good breeze on the bike that helped keep things cool, the out and back towards krumpendorf felt pretty warm as its so exposed, the rest of the course wasn't so bad.

I have bike clocked at just over 177.5 btw.

It was feckin rasping last year along the train line from Krumpendorf back towards the finish area before you got to the shade.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Cheers. Alternatively link to the club website report. :cool:

Here it is
    http://www.pulsetri.com/race-reports/ironman-austria-2013-alex-obrien/

I'm not going for any literary awards, so need to point out the various typos, spelling mistakes etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Here it is
    http://www.pulsetri.com/race-reports/ironman-austria-2013-alex-obrien/

I'm not going for any literary awards, so need to point out the various typos, spelling mistakes etc :)

Enjoyed that.

Great result, congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Alex that is an epic report and result, well bloody done as you clearly pushed to the limit. I am really pumped reading all these reports from Austria from the Irish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Brilliant read Alex, thanks for that. Every time I read an IM report I think....maybe, just maybe. But I'll have forgotten about it again tomorrow :)

Well done on a savage debut time. What is the plan for 2014 then?

• Advertisement

Brilliant read Alex, thanks for that. Every time I read an IM report I think....maybe, just maybe. But I'll have forgotten about it again tomorrow :)

Well done on a savage debut time. What is the plan for 2014 then?

still have Beast of the east and DCT this year then i want to focus on Olympic and middle distance for 2014.

Advertisement