Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma-Birthday party for 5 year old girl

Options
  • 30-06-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

My girl will be 5 in september. The thing is we came ireland couple of years back and dont have many friends here (with kids). My daughter will be starting school this year, just wondering how to arrange party for her. She will be knowing no one in the class and her birthday falls in first trimester of the month. I think I have no option but to invite entire class ( i think it would be 30 something). I cant accommodate them at my house so would hire a hall, ANY IDEAS? I live in Santry.
    Things I have considered (any suggestions?)
    * not very expensive ( as there would be 30-35)
    * hiring a hall or something
    * bringing an entertainer or magician
    * event organizers
    * Hiring Character costumes for special appearance ( any place you could recommend)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That will be expensive and a lot of work.
    Does she have friends from pre school?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That will be expensive and a lot of work.
    Does she have friends from pre school?

Ya 5-6 Montessorie friends but not sure how many of them might come. A couple of them are shifting to new place. and none of them are with her in her new school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I really wouldn't bother with a big party, she's not going to miss out. Bring her off for the day and spoil her just you, your partner and the birthday girl. Day out in a nice place such as zoo/farm/swimming pool/cinema and a nice bit of food afterwards.

Next year you can do the big party when she knows some kids better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just think of the consequences...how many doubtful parents will allow their child to a large party like that when they don't know you...how many parties will she then have to be invited to in return...how unpopular you are going to be with other parents for starting something they don't want to continue 'but (insert child's name here) invited everyone, why can't I have everyone (read: I'm missing out on a lot of presents)'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

looksee wrote: »
    Just think of the consequences...how many doubtful parents will allow their child to a large party like that when they don't know you...how many parties will she then have to be invited to in return...how unpopular you are going to be with other parents for starting something they don't want to continue 'but (insert child's name here) invited everyone, why can't I have everyone (read: I'm missing out on a lot of presents)'

That post is just too negative. Don't do anything because you might upset somebody. Bah humbug!!! :(

OP. Welcome to the wonderful world of Children's parties!

Regardless of what you do, for 30 kids it's not going to be cheap. Ask her teacher if any other kids have birthdays in September or October. If they do, try and seek out their parents and see if they want to split the cost of a joint party.

Sportslink in Santry do room hire and/or party hosting. Try the local community/parish centres to hire a room. If you are going to get an entertainer then you don't want a big hall, just a classroom sized room. Kids just go mad in big rooms, you'll be wasting your money!
    Food. Order in pizza. Bring cartons of juice. Most important - birthday cake!!!! Don't forget candles and a lighter/matches to light them.
    Let parents stay if they want but you are under no obligation to feed/water them.
    There's also the play centres - leisureplex in Coolock is good. You're talking about €15 per kid though so sharing the cost brings the cost down.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »

I think it would be really insane if parents think what you have mentioned, everyone will be in same delimma like me even after 6 months of first year of school I guess. No one knows no one. I think I would ask parents to stay if they want to then it might be a good chance for them to see who and how other kids are that are studying with their kid...

I agree it would be very expensive. But I was seraching online for entertainers. They range from 150 to some where around 250. Some dont mind large crowd, specially magics, clowns stuff. But it would be expensive if I go for sp character appearance or face painting. Meal- may be pizzas, nuggets, popcorns(not sure as kids might choke if eating quickly or while talking) cake, cocktail sausages or sandwiches so I count 150-175 for food. So a party for 400 for 35 kids is not expensive, But 400 is expensive for my pocket :rolleyes:
    sportslink is a good idea (still 13 euros per kid) will call them regarding this.
    Leisure plex is very expensive. if there were less numbers definitely a good idea but in my case GOD I will be on the road after her bday party :D

how do you arrange for (kids) chairs and tables if you hire some hall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I think most play centres are 10-15 euro a head....I looked into them earlier this year and couldn't find any cheaper than that.

You could ring your local community centre. .they'd be able to tell you about hiring a hall amd chairs etc.

Inviting the whole class is a bit extreme...I would invite a few from creche and a few from school. ..the people at her desk maybe?

But if you do decide on the whole class you could hire a hall (scout hall or community centre) the face painting yourself...all you need are the paints. Im not artistic in the slightest but some of thr face painting ive seen recently I could easily manage.

You could do t shirt colouring. ..get cheap t shirts in penneys and colouring markers they can draw whatever they like. 5 year olds are very artistic ;)

I was at a party recently where they had cake decorating. ...they had shop bought buns and a selection of sprinkles. ..chocolates and cream to put on top.

I know it all sounds like extra expense. ..but it would save you hiring professionals which would add to the expense of hall hire any how?

Parties are generally 2 hours long so after that maybe musical statues and pass the parcel? The old faves still really work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Maybe do something nice on the actual day and arrange the party for later in the month when she would have more friends from her class?

After a month she will probably have a few names of little friends that she sits with and plays with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

No party, just a family outing, problem solved.

By the way, what does this mean?
    and her birthday falls in first trimester of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

In my son's class the boys only invited the other boys and likewise for the girls, so doing it that way cuts the cost. I know some parents will frown at splitting the class this way.

We went the play centre route, which is expensive, I think it was around €13 per head (mid week).

Some kids just had the party in their house with a bouncy castle others rented the local GAA club and had a bouncy castle.

If your good at entertaining kids, have it in your home and have plenty of games and activities for them. It is difficult being one of the first and not knowing too many parents and kids. You could have a small family party and then have a kids party the month after when you know kids and parents.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

I've moved to a new area so don't know many people with kids, my daughter will be 2 in September so it's a little different but I still agree with a previous post about taking her away for the day and spoiling her. I had the same worries about parties etc but the way I look it is that when I was younger I had a party every year and I can't remember all of them. Same goes for my daughter I will give her a few big parties in years to come and then some years it will be just a few friends, and then maybe sometimes just her. Would your daughter enjoy there being that many people she doesnt know.. I mean it's her day. I personally think for the cost and stress involved with the many children I'd rather spend all the money on a trip away fro the weekend, something like that.

mitosis wrote: »
    No party, just a family outing, problem solved.

By the way, what does this mean?

it means bday fall in first 10 days of september. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

it means bday fall in first 10 days of september. :D

Thank you. Never heard it before. I thought it was a period of three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mitosis wrote: »
    Thank you. Never heard it before. I thought it was a period of three months.

It IS a period of three months, From French trimestre < from Latin trimestris (“of three months”), from trēs (“three”) + mensis (“month”).

Other meaning above is makey uppy.

Advertisement