Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jury duty issue?

• 30-06-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

I got called up for jury duty for the last week of July, I am willing to do it, however, I know that If I am selected the lenght of trials varies. from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

I am due to return to college in early september and do my theory test in early august . If I get assigned to a jury and the trial runs more than 4 weeks it'd be a problem for me with missing lectures and the likes. If I phoned the Dublin Registrar would she be able to excuse me?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

echo.lima wrote: »
    Hi,

I got called up for jury duty for the last week of July, I am willing to do it, however, I know that If I am selected the lenght of trials varies. from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

I am due to return to college in early september and do my theory test in early august . If I get assigned to a jury and the trial runs more than 4 weeks it'd be a problem for me with missing lectures and the likes. If I phoned the Dublin Registrar would she be able to excuse me?

Thanks

You will be called for jury service for a week or two depending. The way it works you turn up each morning as told for your time. You will be told before the jury is picked a few facts about the case, the general location of where the crime took place, the general address of the accused etc. in case you live in the exact area. You will be told how long trial will go on for most are a day or two. If there are any issues and you are called thn before you take oath or affirmation tell the tip staff of your issue he will tell the judge and you should be asked to go back to the jury pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

infosys wrote: »
    You will be called for jury service for a week or two depending. The way it works you turn up each morning as told for your time. You will be told before the jury is picked a few facts about the case, the general location of where the crime took place, the general address of the accused etc. in case you live in the exact area. You will be told how long trial will go on for most are a day or two. If there are any issues and you are called thn before you take oath or affirmation tell the tip staff of your issue he will tell the judge and you should be asked to go back to the jury pool.

I thought full-time students had an automatic exemption to jury duty? Granted its the holidays and the OP may not want to avoid doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I thought full-time students had an automatic exemption to jury duty? Granted its the holidays and the OP may not want to avoid doing it.

Whole time students are excusable as of right, in other words they can appear in the jury if they wish. Also in this case the person is called for jury service for the last week in July, it is very very rare that any case will go into August as no Courts sit in August.

Advertisement