Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving dogs injections at home without a vet??

• 30-06-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've recently visited a friend whos housemate does not look after her dogs. I've been on to the animal welfare so we are waiting to see if things improve before I make an official complaint. I called to the house today to talk to the owner but she wasn't home and didn't return before I had to leave. I found out that she injected her dogs with Nobivac DHPPi. I'm just wondering if this is needed to be done by a vet??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

In what way does she not look after her dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's a vaccination. A prescription-only medicine, but a lot of chemists still give them out over the counter, which is illegal. I don't think it's illegal for a person to vaccinate their own dog, if the vet has given them a prescription for the vaccine, but only a vet can sign a vaccination form, or a vet nurse, in the case of a second, booster vaccination as part of the primary course of vaccinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Hi,
    I've recently visited a friend whos housemate does not look after her dogs. I've been on to the animal welfare so we are waiting to see if things improve before I make an official complaint. I called to the house today to talk to the owner but she wasn't home and didn't return before I had to leave. I found out that she injected her dogs with Nobivac DHPPi. I'm just wondering if this is needed to be done by a vet??

in what capacity are you carrying out this investigation for want of a better term?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

andreac wrote: »
    In what way does she not look after her dogs?

Hi andreac, well for one when I got there yesterday after work there was no water left out for them...and it was pretty warm even in the evening! The girls who live there had filled the bowl and fed them that morning before they left for work as she hadn't bothered to come home the day before to check on them and clearly hadn't come home during that day either.
    They are very thin, not thin enough for animal welfare to take them but its only a matter of time. If her housemate didn't feed them they could go days without food.
    They haven't been walked by her in over a month (we only know since the girls moved in) so are left in the back garden 24/7 which wouldn't be so bad if she interacted with them but she doesn't. At all. They see her when she feeds them and that's it.
    I spent an hour and a half with them yesterday, they have no manners as shes not given them any training whatsoever so they jump all over you which with two big dogs could be scary and their only pups now so still have some growing to do. I don't blame them of course. I had treats and balls so we played ball and, no joke, within 10 mins they understood to bring the ball back and give it to me just to get hugs :) Such smart and handsome boys :)
    They have a timber house out the back with no blankets or any comfort in it and they don't seem to understand that its where they should sleep as no matter what the weather they sleep on a tattered old piece of material in the middle of the garden. And don't even get me started on the state of the garden!!
    I know by law not being loved isn't something that's really recognized but it should be. The girls that moved in have told her that she needs to treat them right and they get screamed abuse at them. I hope that hearing it from an outsider will make her grow up and think about them.
    She feeds them working dogs food...for two dogs who are in a back garden all day with no exercise....no wonder their bouncing off the walls. And still they were more interested in sitting at our feet yesterday for attention over any toys!
    They eat thistles that are growing in the back garden...they dig up the plant and eat them. I haven't looked it up but I would assume these are poisonous? And timber planks left out there. I found a little planks yesterday with three nails sticking out of it that they had been chewing on.
    They are such lovely dogs and with a bit of love and training would be perfect pets so its heartbreaking seeing this :(

boomerang wrote: »
    It's a vaccination. A prescription-only medicine, but a lot of chemists still give them out over the counter, which is illegal. I don't think it's illegal for a person to vaccinate their own dog, if the vet has given them a prescription for the vaccine, but only a vet can sign a vaccination form, or a vet nurse, in the case of a second, booster vaccination as part of the primary course of vaccinations.

As far as we know she hasn't brought either to the vet even once. She has the two syringes left there with the empty bottles so I hope shes not planning on reusing them. They're in a drawer in the kitchen so I'm not actually supposed to know but it sounds worrying to me. She's not any way trained to do that which I find crazy but maybe its done more than I thought. Thanks for the reply :)

• Advertisement

Kinzig wrote: »
    in what capacity are you carrying out this investigation for want of a better term?

I'm not very subtle about it all so basically I'm planning on calling up to the house every weekend to check on them and take photos. At the moment they technically have food, water and shelter so she could say oh they ate and drank everything I gave them 10 mins ago and we couldn't prove her wrong.
    I want to talk to her first and tell her my worries and see if she does anything to change the situation and I'll tell her if things don't improve I'll have no choice but to report her. I know it won't go down well but I don't actually care about her, those dogs deserve so much better than what shes giving them.
    Her ex has begged to have one as he bought them when they were together but as far as I can tell, out of spite, she won't even let him see them and makes him feel bad for wanting to split them up. Which in this situation is hard to know which is worse. At least they have each other now, if he took one the other poor guy would be miserable.

Advertisement