Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Sh*t around the city - what can be done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Why not?
    Ah now if that needs explaining to you then youre beyond it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

swiftman wrote: »
    i never understand why there is no traffic/parking wardens working with the council, surely if they had enough to cover the city centre easily, they too would pay for themselfs.

Ahh, there are.

'Tis a variation of the Community Wardens. Grey uniforms, the traffic lads have blue trim and the CWs have red - or vice versa.

I don't know if they have authority to issue dog-poo fines or not, but it's fine line - one sole-working employee out facing an aggressive dog owner ...

swiftman wrote: »
    the Council should hire someone, his job would be to walk the prom, in normal clothes even better and hand out fines to anyone walking away from there dogs sh!t.
    why not? in no time the council would be making a profit to fit more bins etc.

slightly of note but same point, i never understand why there is no traffic/parking wardens working with the council, surely if they had enough to cover the city centre easily, they too would pay for themselfs.

i also agree with taking pictures or videos, post a youtube link in this thread, print few pictures and hang them in the local centra, supermacs around salthill
    Ehhhh, they are called community wardens.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Ah now if that needs explaining to you then youre beyond it really.

Maybe I am on this score.. enlighten me.

Maybe I am on this score.. enlighten me.
    Right so you think a publicly available 'wall of shame' type thing is the only way to discourage this behaviour? You dont see something slightly weird with this punishment, what would you suggest we do wuith criminals, id be interested to know. As opposed to maybe having someone who patrols/monitors these supposedly highly befouled areas.

• Advertisement

Right so you think a publicly available 'wall of shame' type thing is the only way to discourage this behaviour? You dont see something slightly weird with this punishment, what would you suggest we do wuith criminals, id be interested to know. As opposed to maybe having someone who patrols/monitors these supposedly highly befouled areas.

So you're against a campaign where photo/video evidence of breaking the law by not clearing up your dog's mess would be published? I'm not.

OK, maybe I am, perhaps the campaign could encourage people to photo/video anyone so doing & submit it to the authorities who could then fine on that basis.. would that suit you better? I suppose I can see why the first draft got you queasy, still, I like the idea of public stocks for offenders... & I 'as a big bag o' tomatars I've been keeping fer throwin' if I everr get tha chance.

& I was brainstorming, being a visionary, a creative, dancing with the fire of inspiration, spewing my bullsh!t hypotheses about what the hypothesis should be... & you shot me down.

I forgive you. For my mercy knows no bounds.

So, are we agreed, campaign to promote submission of photo/video evidence of the crime & that stops anyone complaining in similar circumstances to those in the OP?

Yes?

Friends again?

Awwwwwwwwwwww...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hsianloon

Road round shantalla to westside is so **** saturated I have difficulty making out what's the road and what's ****.

I agree with the OP. Name and shame. Nice big billboards with a title like ' YOUR NEIGHBOURS NANA WHO GIVES YOU COOKIES ? HER DOG DROPS SOME TOO AND SHE DOESNT CLEAN UP AFTER.'

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

Everywhere? So every step i assume, im just asking as i walked it last Thursday and could the dog poop i came across on no fingers. Hyperbole seems to be the order of the day in this thread.
    There is a really bad tone to all of your posts on this thread. I don't post very often but I contributed to this thread because I felt strongly enough about the subject. You appear to be making fun of me with the above comment and I think that is really nasty of you.

barefoot wrote: »
    There is a really bad tone to all of your posts on this thread. I don't post very often but I contributed to this thread because I felt strongly enough about the subject. You appear to be making fun of me with the above comment and I think that is really nasty of you.
    Report it if you feel strongly enough, i dont agree that Galway is covered in a sea of dogsh1t but you and others do (people disagree all the time), if you dont like me disagreeing with you then you can feel free to put me on ignore, it wont hurt my feelings.

boardzz wrote: »
    If you took pictures of me like that your phone would be going in the dog ****

IF you thought you could get away with it, maybe... otherwise you'd possibly whine on about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Thanks for all the responses to my OP. At first I thought that I had little support after the threats of my phone being inserted up a dog's backside but I now see there are plenty of people that share my feelings.

It was never my idea to take a photo of the offender, I read it on a sign left on the prom a year or so ago and thought it was a good idea. After seeing the reaction of the offender on Sunday I will do it again as I hope to shame these people into cleaning up after their animals.

On my travels today I saw a lady allow her dog to sh*t on the gravel outside the Rahoon Cemetary, unfortunately I didn't get to stop but it just highlights the lack of respect for other people.

I have nothing against dog owners and am delighted when I see them tidy up after their animals. I will continue to discuss with those that don't their reasons for being so disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

The Wall of shame is a great idea - You Tube!!!!
    The impact of a video showing the owners excuses and embarrassment would be much more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

Follow the offenders home, shove their dog turds through their letterbox, repeat as necessary. We could assemble a militia of like minded citizens to keep it going until it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    Follow the offenders home, shove their dog turds through their letterbox, repeat as necessary. We could assemble a militia of like minded citizens to keep it going until it works.

If you intend on suggesting organising something like a vigilante group, I do believe we are going to have a problem... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 QuantumAoif

I walked the prom yesterday and made a concerted effort to notice any dog poop anywhere... not one. I was also in Salthill park. Didnt see any. This problem is completley blown out of proportion. I barely see dogs anymore on the prom as they are not allowed on the beaches. Littering, however in general is a massive problem. Might set up that wall of shame, for the women I saw the last day stuffing a dirty nappy into the rocks on the prom, oh but I doubt Id get support for that.

Also, tourists love dogs. Most cities in the States are dog friendly and support dog owners, pity Galway isn't heading in that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I walked the prom yesterday and made a concerted effort to notice any dog poop anywhere... not one. I was also in Salthill park. Didnt see any. This problem is completley blown out of proportion. I barely see dogs anymore on the prom as they are not allowed on the beaches. Littering, however in general is a massive problem. Might set up that wall of shame, for the women I saw the last day stuffing a dirty nappy into the rocks on the prom, oh but I doubt Id get support for that.

Also, tourists love dogs. Most cities in the States are dog friendly and support dog owners, pity Galway isn't heading in that direction.

Can we also have one for the ones who clear nasal passages and hock out phlegm onto the pavement? Also the ones who leave pools of vomit on the street after too much beer.

Let us not forget the ones responsible for broken glass that cuts our dogs paws.

Let the sh1t nazis do something about these too, since they get off so much on vigilante justice.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Can we also have one for the ones who clear nasal passages and hock out phlegm onto the pavement? Also the ones who leave pools of vomit on the street after too much beer.

Let us not forget the ones responsible for broken glass that cuts our dogs paws.

Let the sh1t nazis do something about these too, since they get off so much on vigilante justice.

If there was a wall of shame or a campaign to report, those responsible for broken glass should get on there too.

Now, phlegm & vomit, these are more traditional, cultural things & so should be tolerated, while not exactly encouraged.

Yes. I was joking there with that last bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I'm not a dog owner, don't like walking in **** but its presence doesn't bother me as much as it bothers other people. To be fair I have never seen a dog owner ignore their dog ****ting, I frequently see people bagging them. One thing for sure though, that I have posted about here numerous times before is the number of dogs wandering around on their tod. This seems to me to be a purely Galway concept of sending your dogs out to play on the street while you're in work all day, never seen it in other cities before but every single day I see dogs wandering around without owners. These are possibly the ones responsible for the dog****. Why is it people do this? I said to to a friend of mine whos from Galway, expecting her to respond with "don't be daft, people don't send their dogs out to the street when they're in work" but she responded with "Of course, my family, extended family, neighbours and friends all do this when they go to work, what's the problem?". Can anyone explain? These are the dog owners who should get the 1000 euro fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

what would you suggest we do wuith criminals,

Put their names, addresses ("of Ard-whatever, Bally-somewhere") and photos in the newspaper? Oh, that's right, we already do ...

Put their names, addresses ("of Ard-whatever, Bally-somewhere") and photos in the newspaper? Oh, that's right, we already do ...

In terms of the fines handed out as the person i responded to said fines for dog poop should be in the 1000s, maybe reread things a few times before attempting to look smart, didnt really work out for you here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

dafunk wrote: »
    I'm not a dog owner, don't like walking in **** but its presence doesn't bother me as much as it bothers other people. To be fair I have never seen a dog owner ignore their dog ****ting, I frequently see people bagging them. One thing for sure though, that I have posted about here numerous times before is the number of dogs wandering around on their tod. This seems to me to be a purely Galway concept of sending your dogs out to play on the street while you're in work all day, never seen it in other cities before but every single day I see dogs wandering around without owners. These are possibly the ones responsible for the dog****. Why is it people do this? I said to to a friend of mine whos from Galway, expecting her to respond with "don't be daft, people don't send their dogs out to the street when they're in work" but she responded with "Of course, my family, extended family, neighbours and friends all do this when they go to work, what's the problem?". Can anyone explain? These are the dog owners who should get the 1000 euro fines.

I really don't understand that mentality AT ALL. My dogs are never out of my sight when I bring them out. A few reasons include:

They could be knocked down and killed by a car
    They could be stolen
    They could be fouling anywhere and everywhere (dog faeces can cause nasty and very dangerous eye infections for kids playing on green areas)
    The dog warden could pick them up and bring them to the pound
    They could be set upon by thugs who think a good way to pass their time is to abuse/torture animals
    A child could unknowingly provoke them to snap or bite
    They could cause a road traffic accident resulting in innocent people getting hurt etc etc

Hopefully when micro-chipping becomes compulsory in the next couple of years, there will be accountability and people will have to be more responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

magentas wrote: »
    Hopefully when micro-chipping becomes compulsory in the next couple of years, there will be accountability and people will have to be more responsible.

when they register & microchip the dog a DNA sample could be taken & stored in a database. then when a dog turd is found DNA from the dog's gut could be analysed and the registered owner located and automatically fined.

but we all have to have the conviction & courage to stand up and protect our common public spaces from these ignorant people (dogs are just dogs after all).. confront them gently & politely at first and then with justified rage if needs be.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    when they register & microchip the dog a DNA sample could be taken & stored in a database. then when a dog turd is found DNA from the dog's gut could be analysed and the registered owner located and automatically fined.

but we all have to have the conviction & courage to stand up and protect our common public spaces from these ignorant people (dogs are just dogs after all).. confront them gently & politely at first and then with justified rage if needs be.

CSI Dogsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Cappagh Park used to be particularly bad for bagged jobbies left on the grass (and also for non-bagged jobbies left in the middle of the pitches, sides of the paths, etc).

I haven't been there for about a year so I don't know if it's still the same, but the last time I was there I saw a couple who let their two dogs off the leads, let them poo, didn't pick it up, and then shouted at kids playing on the pitch to "watch out" because the dogs were heading for their football!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Dont notice a major dog turd problem around Galway city ever really, maybe in areas where dogs are regularly walked but i dont frequent those places, if you took a photo of me in some strange effort to report me for something id more than likely grab it and fook it in the river. You have reported it to the council, thats all you can do, a one man band going around mouthing at people aint gonna do anything apart from get you reported.

Let me guess then. You don't have kids, right?

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Let me guess then. You don't have kids, right?

if i did they wouldnt be sh1ttin outside with these vigilantes picturing them anyway ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Kids can get really nasty infections from dog poo. There was a case in the UK where a little girl nearly (or maybe did?) lose an eye from an infection she caught. Human poo is even nastier, so hold it in please. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

jkforde wrote: »

Can we get this for cat turds too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Why not?
    It won't work because people like ben.schlomo are 100% dedicated to ignoring the law by insisting their dogs sh1te all over public areas.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

A few photos of someone injecting cyanide into sausages left around the prom might help sort out this "mess".:D

Advertisement