Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Sh*t around the city - what can be done?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Doggy Diapers might work?

But on a serious note, yes there's a major problem with dog poop in Ireland in most urban areas. Galway's no exception to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Ah now if that needs explaining to you then youre beyond it really.
    i.e. I can't explain.
    Has this type of answer ever once in history meant anything else?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Let the sh1t nazis do something about these too, since they get off so much on vigilante justice.
    That's a bit odd there isn't it ben.schlomo, you were having a whine about hyperbole a while back yet you're now thanking a post that compares people who complain about dogsh1t on the street to the Third Reich.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    i.e. I can't explain.
    Has this type of answer ever once in history meant anything else?
    That's a bit odd there isn't it ben.schlomo, you were having a whine about hyperbole a while back yet you're now thanking a post that compares people who complain about dogsh1t on the street to the Third Reich.:rolleyes:

I did explain it but maybe your selective eyes missed that post, ah well.

And the term 'sh1t nazis' is much like the other well known/used term 'grammar nazis' etc etc, quite common and relates to someone engaged in over zealous complaining etc. Now are you all happy and clappy now that you've had everything explained to you. Anything else i can help you with, any more confusion going on with you today? Now if youre done taking the thread off topic in a woeful attempt to have a go then let everybody continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Shtop with the feckin' shhhhniping already people. We're here to talk about important matters! Now, let's get back to discussing the renegade dog turds.

• Advertisement

I did explain it but maybe your selective eyes missed that post, ah well.
    Ah right.
    Saying "sh1te everywhere" is hyperbole because there isn't literally sh1te everywhere.
    But calling someone a nazi isn't hyperbole because it's a figure of speech.
    Now I know it's pretty embarrassing to be called out on rank hypocrisy like this on your part, but getting so upset about it only makes you come out of this worse TBH.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

dan_solo infracted for ignoring mod instruction, above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Dog Sh1t Park that's what I know Cappagh Park as. I don't know what's worse the owners that leave the dog **** behind or the ones that pick it up in a plastic bag and then throw it in a bush.

I know people that are on residents associations in housing estates that let their dogs sh1t on the greens and are not shy about it.

It seems many dont see the problem with dog sh1t everywhere just look at the thread in after hours on the postman saves dog and see the amount of people that think its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 QuantumAoif

I would have a problem if I saw dog sh*t everywhere. But my whole argument against this thread is...that I dont in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

I would have a problem if I saw dog sh*t everywhere. But my whole argument against this thread is...that I dont in Galway.

My experience is that I don't see it until I step in it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I agree it's not everywhere, however, whenever I am out & about for a walk in Knocknacarra, I see say anywhere between 5-20 turds over a half hour walk.

I've said before that part of a solution is video/photo evidence of owners not lifting these turds & sending that to the authorities or posting it publicly even.

I cannot see how anyone other than the person neglecting to clean up after their dog would have a problem with doing so... & if those people would like to make a big deal out of my or anyone else's filming them, well, we'll see how that works out for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't really see what effect it would have, but i'm also not sure what kind of photo you imagine taking either. Would it be a picture of just the dog owner? a pic of the dog and their owner? a pic of the shit a pic that somehow captures all parties - maybe a low angle, shit in foreground with the dog owner and dog either side of it far in the background.

I think it would be pretty hard to capture someone in the act of not doing something and you'd probably be stepping in some murky waters re:defamation if these photos didn't clearly show the dog owner not cleaning up their dog's shit.

I also haven't noticed this as a major issue, however over the summer months it definitely increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Doesn't seem to be that bad in Dublin, my dog did her business in the park off the lead I couldn't find hers so I picked the one I could see. I remember once my dog doing her business outside someone's garden and rushing out and screaming are you going to pick that up when the bag was already in my hand.

I want something done about horses?

I don't really see what effect it would have, but i'm also not sure what kind of photo you imagine taking either. Would it be a picture of just the dog owner? a pic of the dog and their owner? a pic of the shit a pic that somehow captures all parties - maybe a low angle, shit in foreground with the dog owner and dog either side of it far in the background.

I think it would be pretty hard to capture someone in the act of not doing something and you'd probably be stepping in some murky waters re:defamation if these photos didn't clearly show the dog owner not cleaning up their dog's shit.

I also haven't noticed this as a major issue, however over the summer months it definitely increases.

I think the chances of getting useful photo/video evidence is fairly low, video would be best, you'd have a chance. The very act of filming would likely make people less inclined to leave it behind. I think a city wide policy that filming was encouraged, like reporting insurance claim scams & so on, would increase that pressure not to leave it behind.

Photos, a series of, could serve something similar to the role of video, but...

Giving the film up to the council or whichever authority suits is the more likely course, but why not post up if that authority finds an offence was committed?

I think the chances of getting useful photo/video evidence is fairly low, video would be best, you'd have a chance. The very act of filming would likely make people less inclined to leave it behind. I think a city wide policy that filming was encouraged, like reporting insurance claim scams & so on, would increase that pressure not to leave it behind.

Photos, a series of, could serve something similar to the role of video, but...

Giving the film up to the council or whichever authority suits is the more likely course, but why not post up if that authority finds an offence was committed?

I think this idea of videoing people is ridiculous. We'll all go around videotaping each other, is it just for dogs soiling in public areas? Or is it for ALL Illegal acts? Then sending all the footage to the guards or council...sigh. I've certainly got better things to be doing.
    I must consider myself lucky not to have come across heavily dog soiled areas, maybe I just walk in nice areas.

I think this idea of videoing people is ridiculous. We'll all go around videotaping each other, is it just for dogs soiling in public areas? Or is it for ALL Illegal acts? Then sending all the footage to the guards or council...sigh. I've certainly got better things to be doing.

Not a bad idea... after all, video of an illegal act might lead to the prosecution of someone who broke the law & would have otherwise got away with it.
    I must consider myself lucky not to have come across heavily dog soiled areas, maybe I just walk in nice areas.

Oooooh. Get her! Miao! :pac:

I think Knocknacarra is a lovely area & I've traveled all over.

Oooooh. Get her! Miao! :pac:

I think Knocknacarra is a lovely area & I've traveled all over.[/QUOTE]

That's not what I meant!
    I haven't seen any areas heavily soiled with dog sh#t and think that people really need to lay off dog owners so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Not a bad idea... after all, video of an illegal act might lead to the prosecution of someone who broke the law & would have otherwise got away with it.

Vigilantes. Scope for so much wrongness. I seem to remember a case where a shop wanted to post photos of supposed shoplifters, but had to take them down because of the threat of defamation suits - what if they got it wrong?

What if someone had a grudge against a neighbour, for example? It would be easy to fake a photo like that - or even a video. Suppose a neighbour's dog had a poo outside your house, and then they went in to their own house to get a bag - you could just 'forget' to add that bit to the video.

A lot of people (all on the same side of this argument funnily enough) should get themselves a dictionary and look up the word "vigilante". Reporting a crime or providing extra evidence in the form of a photo/film, does not make you a "vigilante".
    Obviously the impression we're supposed to get here is that anyone reporting illegal dog mess around the city is taking the law into their own hands or has some sort of vendetta against the dog owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Not that I'm condoning it or anything like that; but any vigilante who does decide to take up this cause, has to by rights, do it under the superhero name of 'Scatman'

RMvIA8b.gif

I'm only thinking of the children here... and the headlines in the Connaught Indo. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

A lot of people (all on the same side of this argument funnily enough) should get themselves a dictionary and look up the word "vigilante". Reporting a crime or providing extra evidence in the form of a photo/film, does not make you a "vigilante".
    Obviously the impression we're supposed to get here is that anyone reporting illegal dog mess around the city is taking the law into their own hands or has some sort of vendetta against the dog owner.

Of course providing evidence or reporting a crime is not vigilantism; but quite a few posters were talking about naming & shaming, putting stuff on youtube, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭eirebread

Very true.

Eeden wrote: »
    Vigilantes. Scope for so much wrongness. I seem to remember a case where a shop wanted to post photos of supposed shoplifters, but had to take them down because of the threat of defamation suits - what if they got it wrong?

What if someone had a grudge against a neighbour, for example? It would be easy to fake a photo like that - or even a video. Suppose a neighbour's dog had a poo outside your house, and then they went in to their own house to get a bag - you could just 'forget' to add that bit to the video.

False accusations, by fake photo/video or otherwise, are illegal, no? So, to falsely report with a piece of false footage would pretty damningly f`ck you up, no?

However, yes, there is the possibility that someone might seem to do something illegal, like remove an item from a shop without paying for it, then return to 'fix up' things, & be caught out by an unforgiving piece of camera work. Someone could leave the scene of any crime, even one they committed, just to sort something out... to return afterwards, falsely accused of doing wrong.

OK, maybe none of the above is a '100% right fit' for your point, I see where you're coming from... maybe there's a workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ladiesman217

Hi
    yes this has been a problem for a number of years now and the CC are doing nothing about the problem. There needs to be a poster campaign plus wardens along the prom to help tackle the problem. If there were large posters along the prom stating the dangers of dog mess and also the fact that it is illegal you would see a drop in the amounts of mess on the prom. But this again highlights the CC lack of viable solutions to tackle problems such as this.

Hi
    yes this has been a problem for a number of years now and the CC are doing nothing about the problem. There needs to be a poster campaign plus wardens along the prom to help tackle the problem. If there were large posters along the prom stating the dangers of dog mess and also the fact that it is illegal you would see a drop in the amounts of mess on the prom. But this again highlights the CC lack of viable solutions to tackle problems such as this.

The only problem I see in this city at the moment is created by people- disgusting litter everywhere, made worse by the lovely weather we're having. I nearly cant wait for winter! There are signs up on the prom notifying dog owners of times dogs are allowed on the beach and fines that may be imposed if dog caught littering 1500 I believe. There are NO signs warning against littering or drinking in public however... and there needs to be as this is the real problem.

Is it waaay too simple to guess that all the posters here who say they never see dogsh1t around Galway would have dogs themselves?
    Surely they wouldn't be that predictable...

Is it waaay too simple to guess that all the posters here who say they never see dogsh1t around Galway would have dogs themselves?
    Surely they wouldn't be that predictable...

Doesn't sound like something that would make too much sense as it's highly unlikely that there's a pack of dog owners colluding on boards in order to deny some perceived dogshit problem.

Doesn't sound like something that would make too much sense as it's highly unlikely that there's a pack of dog owners colluding on boards in order to deny some perceived dogshit problem.
    Who said they were colluding and why would they have to?
    Maybe it's just something every dog owner does whether they talk to other owners about it or not?
    No great slew of posters refuting the correlation either I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Who said they were colluding and why would they have to?
    Maybe it's just something every dog owner does whether they talk to other owners about it or not?
    No great slew of posters refuting the correlation either I see...

Probably because most people dont give a dog sh1t about it really, i dont have a dog, never have, i prefer cats. Tinfoil is great too.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

i see more humans pissing in doorways .

If you see a dog owner ignoring said dog pooping then pull them up on it.
    As to going around with a camera pouncing on people , then thats a bit sad.

Also the prom is a hell of a lot better since the signs were sprayed
    on the floor, and the availability of free poop bags has really helped.

Advertisement