Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S&C Programming ??

• 01-07-2013 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'm just looking for advice on my current workout template, I'm currently focusing on fat loss and want to maintain muscle mass and increase my conditiong levels. Essentially, I'll be lifting on Monday and Friday and will be adding conditioning work, So I wont be doing the standard strenght type protocols. On Wendesdays I'll have access to strongman equipment such as prowlers, sleds, yokes tyres etc and I'm going to utilise these for "resistance cardio" for want of a better word. I've been advised to just do a 5/3/1 cycle but include cardio on off days, but time is at a premium for the next few months.

I've come up with the following template for myself on lifitng days.

Mobility work - Working on hips, shoulders, glutes etc

Push - was thinking rotating bench press and ohp for 3 sets 8-12

Pull - chinups, heavy rows etc 3-5 sets 8-12 reps I read that I should have higher volume work for my back work?

Legs- Squatting twice a week I'm unsure about keeping the reps low? maybe 5x3?

Guns - standard bicep and tricep work 3 sets highs reps

Core - reverse hypers and planking etc

Followed by conditiong/metcon type workouts. Is there any considerations I need to make RE overuse of muscles etc? does it matter if in one week both involve high volume pushing movements and less pulling? Kinda confused about that :o or should I aim to keep all metcons with push/pull and legs work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I'm confused as hell and this will be my first proper strenght and conditioning program.

Cheers,

Echo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

If you want to do 5/3/1, not that I'm recommending it, you could do the 4 days split over 2 weeks.

Week 1
    Monday
    Squat 5/3/1
    Front squat - 5 x 10
    Lunges - 5 x 8-10 off each leg

Wednesday
    Prowler work
    Farmers walks

Friday
    Bench 5/3/1
    Inc DB Bench - 5 x 10
    BB/DB rows - 5 x 8-10

Week 2
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Good mornings - 5 x 10
    Hanging leg raises - 5 x 10

Wednesday
    sled work
    Farmers walks etc

Friday
    Overhead Press 5/3/1
    Chin ups/pull ups - 5 x 10
    Inverted rows - 5 x 10

I'm not saying this would be the best use if your time but it's not too bad.

You could do extra core & arm work on Wednesdays

As for the push/pull thing, you should ensure to have a 1.8-2.0 - 1 ratio of pulls to pushes, I tried to put that in above for you.

Again, a 5/3/1 template isn't really something I'd recommend if you were gonna be chasing gainz, but if all you want is to keep things ticking over while getting better conditioned, it could be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭echo.lima

I agree with you inspector, will be avoiding 5/3/1 if at all possible, may use it as a last resort :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

To be honest though.

If you just do 5 heavy sets of three on each of the main lifts on each day, and keep trying to increase it by 2.5kg each week, it's not a bad 3 day workout.

I did 17 cycles of 5/3/1 - it's not the greatest IF your aim is increased 1RMs, it's not bad if you want to maintain

Advertisement