Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

would you look at that, not a clould to be seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Glorious morning in Donegal. 23degrees at 10.00am but its clouding over now in all directions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The magic 30 appears on the YRNO chart for Tuesday afternoon :cool:

ouYALHc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Weathering wrote: »
    The humidity in the Canaries is unreal

No, it's not. It's mostly dominated by dry Saharan air.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

The magic 30 appears on the YRNO chart for Tuesday afternoon :cool:

what website are these charts on? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

fryup wrote: »
    would you look at that, not a clould to be seen

Looking at that we seem to be rightly screwed, stuck in the eye of a heat wave.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Time to head outside and enjoy it. 24 here already. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

by PATRICK COUNIHAN, IrishCentral Reporter
    Published Thursday, January 3, 2013, 6:19 AMUpdated Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 12:39 PM

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ireland-to-bask-in-Med-like-sunshine-as-The-Gathering-gathers-pace.

Ireland is set for a scorching summer as thousands come home for The
    Gathering, according to a world renowned weather expert.

New Zealand based long range forecaster Ken Ring is predicting a long, hot summer after years of washouts according to the Irish Sun newspaper.

Ring uses the moon, sun and tidal activity to make his forecasts months in advance.

He shot to prominence in Ireland when he predicted the Arctic winter two years ago.

The Kiwi has predicted a wet spring and patchy rain in June before temperatures soar in July and August.

He is forecasting that temperatures will hit a high last seen in 1995.

He told the paper: “Temperatures may reach 30°C or more in July’s second week, which may cause some media talk about a heatwave.

“August may be a month of prolonged sunshine spells and even drought conditions with a period of 15 or more days on which no rainfall is expected in some areas. September will be balmy.”

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Its the humidity that makes it more uncomfortable, I was just out running there and the humidity was quite high my sweat wasn't evaporating much at all. Not a nice feeling.

In spain or the Canaries if its 30 degrees, the humidity would be very low, this would be a far more comfortable for people to deal with

Agreed. I was in Portugal last summer and while temperatures regularly reached the mid thirties during the day, humidity was always fairly low and sleeping was relatively comfortable IIRC. I think it has something to do with the colder sea currents running down Iberia and North West Africa.

Here in Ireland, humidity is always high in summer, and during warm spells nights can be sticky. In places like Barcelona, during summer, the humidity can be unbearable at night.

“August MAY be a month of prolonged sunshine spells and even drought conditions with a period of 15 or more days on which no rainfall is expected in some areas. September will be balmy.”

nothing definite so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

nothing definite so

I think hes been very accurate so far. We are heading into the second week of July exactly when he said Ireland would experience a heatwave.

He made the prediction back in Jan of 2013. Who believed him then?

I think hes been very accurate so far. We are heading into the second week of July exactly when he said Ireland would experience a heatwave.

He made the prediction back in Jan of 2013. Who believed him then?

Apologies, I completely missed the date at the top.

fairplay!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Only 19.3c here on the coast, perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

21c here in Coolock

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just reached 22.0c here now. Very light NE breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

how in Gods name are people complaining about the heat after the last 5 'summers' we had.

This time three years ago we were two weeks into a 57 day period where it rained every day at Shannon airport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

25 in Naas now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

East of UK away from SE in the fog

WEB_sat_vis_eur.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

23.0c here now. Stunning...clear blue skies and very light breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The west is rocking....Shannon, Newport and Bellmullet all officially 25c at midday in the reports at the met stations. Dont think we will make the magic big 30, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Need rain

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭atsbury

Glorious in Co Wexford. Not a cloud in the sky. 22 degrees in a nice sea breeze!

Need rain

Garden is parched....Its hard work all this watering in the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

26.9c here now and feeling hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well I've seen it all now.......

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

Our thresholds for heat arent very macho are they! Temps exceeding 27C every day! Oh my! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

24C and humidity at 64%.HOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Here in Dun Laoghaire the sea breeze has it pegged back to 16C, according to the Harbour weather website. It is however cloudless with a slight haze and toasty in the sunshine!

• Advertisement

The sun is hot though. Hot enough to make the tar on the roads "sticky" and my black plastic wheelie bin smell of melting plastic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement