Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

patneve2 wrote: »
    Already 26 C at Shannon airport!! If it stays clear all day the record might be at risk (anyone know what Shannon's record is?). 30C here in Rome with another afternoon of thunder and lightning on the cards :D

Shannon July record is 30.6, all time record 31.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

26.5c here now atm with a breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

23C here today Tullamore as of 11.30am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Where do you get the live temp data from lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

East Galway . It's raining :(

:D
    27.5 as of 1130am. Horrible trying to sleep at night but ya can't complain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Devi wrote: »
    Where do you get the live temp data from lads?

This is a good source albeit they're not official weather stations, they're PWS.
    http://irelandsweather.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I used to not be able to sleep in warm weather but I think a summer living in the southern UK cured me. Don't laugh! :) The south of England would be considerably warmer and more humid than Ireland in pretty much any given summer, and I lived only about 20 miles from Lee-On-Solent, which is a frequent UK hotspot.

I remember heading home to Ireland for the weekend from an unbearably humid UK, and marvelling at how much fresher it was at home, only to hear people complain about the humidity!

So, if this lasts, you tossy turny people should acclimatise... eventually. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Reckon 30 will defo be hit today, 26 degrees at Shannon at 11am! As for the comment about southern England, temperatures are greatly exaggerated there. Even during Wimbledon final they were claiming near 40 degree temperatures, it was in fact 27 degrees. Southern England gets warmer than us no doubt but 37 degrees is all time record. Paris which is not a million miles away is far hotter and has regularly hit over 40.

Back to Ireland, reckon 30-31 could be achievable, beautiful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

In fairness they were saying it was 40 degrees at court level... with the sun beaming down on the grass it could well have been!

Reckon 30 will defo be hit today, 26 degrees at Shannon at 11am! As for the comment about southern England, temperatures are greatly exaggerated there. Even during Wimbledon final they were claiming near 40 degree temperatures, it was in fact 27 degrees. Southern England gets warmer than us no doubt but 37 degrees is all time record. Paris which is not a million miles away is far hotter and has regularly hit over 40.

Back to Ireland, reckon 30-31 could be achievable, beautiful out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

25.3c with a bit of a sea breeze kicking in.

As for the comment about southern England, temperatures are greatly exaggerated there. Even during Wimbledon final they were claiming near 40 degree temperatures, it was in fact 27 degrees. Southern England gets warmer than us no doubt but 37 degrees is all time record. Paris which is not a million miles away is far hotter and has regularly hit over 40.

Well, I didn't exaggerate. ;) I never said there were crazy high temps.

To put it in perspective, the summer I was there, it was rarely lower than low 20s, frequently mid 20s and a fair few high 20s days.

I'd check Irish temps to compare, it'd be high teens, and sometimes low 20s.

And the humidity was much, much greater. I got athlete's foot that summer, and that was with no exercise.

It was 40 degree at centre court during the Wimbeldon final because it was an enclosed space, and out of the shade. Nobody was claiming that was the actual temperature, or I'm sure we would have heard about it!

37 might be the all-time record for the the UK, but overall, they easily hit higher temps than us on a much more regular basis.

So, from my perspective, no exaggeration. The southern UK is more balmy. Sure Cornwall has its own microclimate, they can grow bananas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Cloudy since 10am in Donegal. Real let down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Absolute scorcher today, one of best Summer days I can remember for heat, clear blue skies and very light breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Cloud bubbling up in Cork
    Talk of wall to wall sunshine for the week maybe a tad pre mature

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Scorcher-Castlebar!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fair bit warmer here than yesterday. 22.1c right at coast. Sea breeze very light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

25 deg here in the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

26.2 now in Sallins

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fair bit warmer here than yesterday. 22.1c right at coast. Sea breeze very light.

Ditto. 24.7c here atm exceeding yesterday's max. of 24.4c. Breeze lighter than yesterday.

• Advertisement

Cloud bubbling up in SE Mayo (which was promised, so I'm not put out :) ) but I don't think 30 will be hit here today consequently. Tomorrow is more likely.

It's still roasting anyway.

AFAIK, that was never promised. Not on Accuweather anyway, which I tend to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cloud?! Where?! Blue skies here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

27 at Shannon already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Just left ballina was 23c currently 24c in foxfor

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Shannon has been at 27C since 11am.

Can confirm the cloud that JanuarySnowstorm is seeing too, though it seems a bit thin to describe as "bubbling up".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Scorcher-Athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not sure of the temp here on the Donegal coast but just about perfect, cloudless skies and a gentle breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

25C here and feeling uncomfortable ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I always find the Cork Airport reading is a bit misleading for the temperature in Cork City because the airport's so elevated.

There's a Weather Underground station at Blackrock Castle which would be more accurate for the actual temperature in the city.

It's currently reading about 25.8ºC

I'd say if you'd a station in the city centre you'd be getting a lot closer to 30ºC today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I always find the Cork Airport reading is a bit misleading for the temperature in Cork City because the airport's so elevated.

There's a Weather Underground station at Blackrock Castle which would be more accurate for the actual temperature in the city.

It's currently reading about 25.8ºC

I'd say if you'd a station in the city centre you'd be getting a lot closer to 30ºC today.

Most definitely - way hotter than what its reading at the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement