Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Cloud coming in over Tuam! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dublin is much warmer today, the 3 met stations didnt rise much above 24 yesterday with moderate humidity and a sea breeze but already today they are heading for 25 at midday and a very light SE breeze at Force 1.

I'd say the city centre and western suburbs will be quite oppressive by late afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Cork Airport is elevated, closer to the coast and more exposed to the onshore breeze, so in these conditions, almost certainly cooler than the city.

But any decent sized urban area will feel quite a bit warmer in the sun. That Blackrock Castle station is right next to the Lee too though, so a bit of cooling off that also.

Temperatures are certainly in the mid 20s in the city at least anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Going to hit around 26-27 degrees here in West London today.

Must... not... go... to ... beer... garden :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Clear skies all morning but cloud pushing in over Galway city now. Temp 26.6C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Cork Airport is elevated, closer to the coast and more exposed to the onshore breeze, so in these conditions, almost certainly cooler than the city.

But any decent sized urban area will feel quite a bit warmer in the sun. That Blackrock Castle station is right next to the Lee too though, so a bit of cooling off that also.

Temperatures are certainly in the mid 20s in the city at least anyway.

Reading 29.5°C driving through the city (Cork). Car was parked in complete shade. The thermostat in the house is reading 38!! We've a lot of natural slate roof

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has soared to 28.6c here now, much hotter than yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

28 at Shannon at 1pm. Looking like max of 29 or 30 today I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

First wildfire of the week has got going here in NW Donegal in the past hour, seems small enough so far. Still clear as well despite the warnings of cloud and sea mist

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Getting a reading of 30 now on my weather station, Feels it aswell. Clear skies very very light breeze.
    South Kerry.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Reading 29.5°C driving through the city (Cork). Car was parked in complete shade. The thermostat in the house is reading 38!! We've a lot of natural slate roof

That 38C is definitely a direct sunlight reading!

I'm in an apartment near the social welfare offices, and I have one thermometer in the middle of the living area that's at 28C and one by a window in an attempt to catch the air flowing in (not great, I know!) and that's at 26.1C!

I think a station in Bishop Lucy park would be ideal for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

26C now,4C hotter than its suppose to be.How many places will reach 30C?????

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

In the car in Galway City today..

Temp-pic-3_zps2901148e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Don't forget car temp readings are also affected by the heat from the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Could someone more experienced explain why in Ireland does high pressure act different to other areas? If you look at the satelites, plenty of cloud is bubbling up in Ireland atm, where's if we look at much of the southern UK is absolutely clear under the same high pressure conditions. Why is this? Different cap rates etc?

Stunning day here today, but its becoming disappointingly breezy in the last 30 minutes, and I'm west of a mountain range! Must be positively breezy on the east coast! Much prefer dead latent heat, feels so good! With a breeze it feels less good! I won't complain tho, hope this spell lasts for weeks, with a few storms to keep growth going!

That 38C is definitely a direct sunlight reading!

I'm in an apartment near the social welfare offices, and I have one thermometer in the middle of the living area that's at 28C and one by a window in an attempt to catch the air flowing in (not great, I know!) and that's at 26.1C!

Unfortunately our house absorbs huge amounts of solar energy. The temperature in the attic air temperature is reading 49C

Im actually concerned about the wiring.

Its a large, South facing low pitched natural slate (black) roof on a south facing hill.
    you can't touch the back of the slates

This is why American houses have attic fans to prevent serous heat build up.

A lot of roofing material doesn't transfer solar energy quite as fast as natural slate.

We actually have had plastic items stored up there turn completely brown.

We also have had electronic items in storage there destroyed by the heat.

If you could turn it into electrical energy or something useful it would be great. We have solar hot water and it works fantastically!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sea breezes have picked up in nw so 25c will be our max for today in Sligo

Tonight could be quite foggy but much more pleasant today

High remains close for rest of month but cursed nw winds will mean cloud up here, Leinster and Munster will stay in the 20s most of July

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's boiling here! Checked my temp app and it says 24 feels 25 - well it feels fecking 30 here!!

mike65 wrote: »
    Top window open and interior door open - creates enough movement to sleep.

Not where I am, both windows and bedroom door open along with a fan and still unbearable. I've tried pointing the fan at the window and at the door to see if either caused a flow, no joy. It's only when the sun is up fully that things become bearable again.

Unfortunately our house absorbs huge amounts of solar energy. The temperature in the attic air temperature is reading 49C

Im actually concerned about the wiring.

Its a large, South facing low pitched natural slate (black) roof on a south facing hill.
    you can't touch the back of the slates

This is why American houses have attic fans to prevent serous heat build up.

A lot of roofing material doesn't transfer solar energy quite as fast as natural slate.

We actually have had plastic items stored up there turn completely brown.

We also have had electronic items in storage there destroyed by the heat.

If you could turn it into electrical energy or something useful it would be great. We have solar hot water and it works fantastically!

49C... wow. Would like to site in that temperature for a while, just to get a feel for what it's like!

Indoor middle of the room temperature, 28.1C, thermometer by the open north facing window, now 28.9C!
    I actually thought it would be more uncomfortable than it is...

• Advertisement

Failing that, maybe UCC's student centre or somewhere on the main campus would be a bit more realistic.

Trinity would be the obvious location in Dublin.

Failing that, maybe UCC's student centre or somewhere on the main campus would be a bit more realistic.

Trinity would be the obvious location in Dublin.

UCC have a station (or at least did a few years ago) in a garden up on Magazine Rd, but they don't release the data unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

27c here in ballinrobe I'm about 127c after handling off a pallet of briquettes. On to tuam now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Weather stations in urban areas will have higher temperatures but this is due to buildings, roads and other surfaces radiating the heat.
    Thus it is not a true representation of the actual heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

remains 28 at Shannon at 1400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The poor unfortunate people of Arklow are joining the party...Sun versus sea breeze -currently 24.5c
    yesterday the sea breeze won and it was just 19c

warmest part of day here is after 5 when the breeze goes.
    If it behaves like normal,records here will be broken today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

remains 28 at Shannon at 1400.

Still time for it to go a bit a higher. Oak Park up to 28 too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

25 in Cork Airport now so you can be sure its a couple of degrees higher in the City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

between 1630 and around 1830 was the hottest time of the day in Castlebar yesterday....will see how it pans out today.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Weather stations in urban areas will have higher temperatures but this is due to buildings, roads and other surfaces radiating the heat.
    Thus it is not a true representation of the actual heat.

Urban Heat Island! It's effect is strongest in the evening and night. The thing is, it's still interesting to know what the air temperature is within a city, even if it isn't directly comparable to official Met Eireann stations or historical records.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement