Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Keith96 wrote: »
    26C now,4C hotter than its suppose to be.How many places will reach 30C?????

Unless I am mistaken weather forecasters quote the heat in the shade ? Open to correction. 30degrees car reading at lunchtime in DCU

Dak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Urban Heat Island! It's effect is strongest in the evening and night. The thing is, it's still interesting to know what the air temperature is within a city, even if it isn't directly comparable to official Met Eireann stations or historical records.

True, the UHI isn't particularly active during the day but a lot more at night due to the latent heat release from roads and buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

dak wrote: »
    Unless I am mistaken weather forecasters quote the heat in the shade ? Open to correction. 30degrees car reading at lunchtime in DCU

Dak

You need to drive the car for a while to see the correct temp reading. If the car is sitting there (even in the shade), the temperature that it reads will be higher than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still time for it to go a bit a higher. Oak Park up to 28 too now.

Keep an eye on claremorris too, it reached its top temp after 6 and it's 27 at 14,

I'd say somewhere is going to be 30c it just may not be official

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Temperatures in cities and sheltered areas will probably get into the low/mid 30's in places today, obviously they can't be used for official records but it doesn't mean the thermometers aren't accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I would say 30C is a near cert at the 3pm readings.
    Who will record it ??
    If I had a punt I would say maybe Galway or Mayo stations.

On a personal note, the hayfever is brutal last few days.
    Pollen counts must be extremely high

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Harps wrote: »
    Temperatures in cities and sheltered areas will probably get into the low/mid 30's in places today, obviously they can't be used for official records but it doesn't mean the thermometers aren't accurate.

yesterday I managed 27.8c in my garden, I've just recorded 29.0c. Its partly cloudy too. I'm in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just reached 29.1c here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    49C... wow. Would like to site in that temperature for a while, just to get a feel for what it's like!

Indoor middle of the room temperature, 28.1C, thermometer by the open north facing window, now 28.9C!
    I actually thought it would be more uncomfortable than it is...

Here's a fan that was being stored in the attic. Before the heatwave, this fan was entirely white and the buttons were not that colour either! Note the colour change! That's just from the heat in the attic.

261820.jpeg

That's what 49ºC air temperature due to heat build up does to your stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

27.1°C at 2:43 PM - we're cooking on gas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I would say 30C is a near cert at the 3pm readings.
    Who will record it ??
    If I had a punt I would say maybe Galway or Mayo stations.

On a personal note, the hayfever is brutal last few days.
    Pollen counts must be extremely high

Try the kiddies syrup Zirtek. I take 3 spoons in the morning and find it much more effective then the tablets.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

26.7c atm after getting up to 27.0c about 10 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

28.5 in Newport

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh I love the smell of Piz Buin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Knine wrote: »
    Try the kiddies syrup Zirtek. I take 3 spoons in the morning and find it much more effective then the tablets.

Cetrine is brilliant, a months supply is the same price as a weeks supply of Zirtek, chemists are recommending it over Zirtek, I have been taking one a day since June and no episode(s) yet thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

DOCARCH wrote: »
    26.7c atm after getting up to 27.0c about 10 minutes ago.

The Nra station near you has gone above 29c,so you will get hotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

28 at Shannon on the 1500 reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Still no ME stations at 29C?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

nope,but a good scatter of 27 and 28s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Couple more stations at 28 now at 3pm but nothing higher than that.

Meanwhile in Waterford its 27 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Knine wrote: »

Jesus, I have one spoon and I can barely move off the couch...

You must have the constitution of an Ox....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

whitebriar wrote: »
    The Nra station near you has gone above 29c,so you will get hotter.

Wouldn't trust it! :p 26.6c atm.

BTW, my VP2 is telling me 28.3c but I think it has exposure issues...i.e. not exposed enough and in the direct sun!

Wouldn't trust it! :p 26.6c atm.

BTW, my VP2 is telling me 28.3c but I think it has exposure issues...i.e. not exposed enough and in the direct sun!

That shouldn't matter! Mine is in an open field and direct sun.
    Yesterday it was19 all day.
    Today ,similar breeze same sun,and its hitting 25c on that Davis.
    Yours is fan aided too isn't it?

I think your Davis should be deadly accurate for your location.
    It probably would be cooler in an open field than a garden eg up in Marley park for example.

Academically so tho,as out and about its still going to be feeling equally boiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My weather machine in Galway is showing 29 and an Oregan weather gauge with the sensor in the shade is showing 30.4, the heat here is stinging when you go out in the Sun.

whitebriar wrote: »
    Yours is fan aided too isn't it?

Yip.

What I will say is that it is accurate...for the sunny side of the garden! :) 28.6c at the moment on that side. I really need to re-position the unit higher/well over the wall level to get a good throughput of air.

Back up to 27.0c now on the shady side of the garden (on the Oregan) which I find more accurate on hot/sunny days.

Usually I will always quote to lower of the two...the purist that I am! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Just done in tuam now 28c now for long drive back to Wicklow with no air con

Yip.

What I will say is that it is accurate...for the sunny side of the garden! :) 28.6c at the moment on that side. I really need to re-position the unit higher/well over the wall level to get a good throughput of air.

Back up to 27.0c now on the shady side of the garden (on the Oregan) which I find more accurate on hot/sunny days.

Usually I will always quote to lower of the two...the purist that I am! :p

I think the idea of in the shade temps derives itself from when you have an exposed mercury thermometer in the sun.
    That would be inaccurate and needs to be in the shade.
    Your Davis is professionally shielded though and its fan makes up for the less airflow in an urban garden.
    I'd go with that to be honest.

Very few Davis's I've seen or met equipment for that matter are in the shade.

Put the Oregon up on ebay and get a good dinner in guilbaud's out of it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Nothing to out of the ordinary here - Currently 27.1, was 27.5 a little while ago. The lack of wind is what is more of note. It's a real dead heat and I LOVE it! I probably won't say the same when I try go asleep tonight though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I reckon tomorrow will be the day it hits 30 somewhere. I never thought it would be today.

In fact, I'm calling it. :cool:

Station? Hmmmm, Newport.

Anyone else wanna play? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Looks like temps are falling back at the weekend anyway so better make the most of it :( I hope it picks up again by next Thursday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement