Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 30C mark could well be broken today with Shannon looking most likely. Exceptional heat out there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max 27.1c at 2pm. Currently 25.7c due to a sea breeze kicking in. Clear blue skies since dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

The 30C mark could well be broken today with Shannon looking most likely. Exceptional heat out there

Moorepark looks good too

apparently it's 30 in Rathkeale, but seeing as there isn't a met station there I'm guessing they wont say it's official http://irelandsweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Reached 29.5C about 20 minutes ago, but a breeze has just kicked in from nowhere seemingly, and the temperature has fallen to 29.0C.
    Certainly the warmest temperature here in Tipp since July 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

UKMO latest observations has Heathrow at only 23c
    the warmest I can find in the UK at the moment is 24.8c at Bristol.

That website has many hundreds of stations marked on the interactive map, some of them in south west London were showing 30, relatively few of them are quoted on the 'Latest Obs' list on the main UK Met site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

C'MON 30!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

It was 42C in our attic at 8.00 pm yesterday evening.

Stood at the top of the hatch in nothing but my boxers and stared at the thermometer in awe !

What had previously felt like a very warm house seemed relatively cool when I came back down after only approx 30 seconds.

Ah, still topping out at 28s on the ME stations at 3pm.

Pity we don't have a list on daily records we can compare with, like many other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Galway airport hit 30 yesterday, not listed on met eireann website though. Hottest temperature seem to be occurring around 6pm so could well happen today around shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It feels much hotter than any other day to me today in Galway.

The postman was telling me several of the other posties here are off sick with heatstroke from the last two days and that theyre really ill in it. Gotta feel for anyone who's out 9 - 5 in it working. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

29 @ Shannon ... one last push :)

The postman was telling me several of the other posties here are off sick with heatstroke from the last two days and that theyre really ill in it. Gotta feel for anyone who's out 9 - 5 in it working. :(

I'd call shenanigans on the heatstroke. Anyone wearing appropriate clothing, with their head covered, using a good sun screen and hydrating correctly would be fine - a little uncomfortable compared to the norm yes - but fine....

An Post you say.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

30.7 on the N21 Rathkeale Bypass according to NRA road weather on their website. I was footing turf yesterday and this morning and its the hottest iv ever felt on the bog. 37 on the temp in the car unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Heatstroke?....either they are wearing winter jackets or they a faking it and going to the beach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

So the game is up on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

Clemenza wrote: »
    So the game is up on Saturday?
    for the heat it is,but there will be still sun and 20-25C on the weekend.Much more normal temps from Monday on

I think the upper temps and humidity being so high are adding to the hot feeling. Temps of 24/25 over the weekend will be accompanied by lower uppers and dewpoints which will give a much fresher feel. Looks like a second burst of heat later next week though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Fell to just below 14c last night which is the warmest low of the past week so we've missed those sticky night problems!

Sky was a deep clear blue this morning with a fresh breeze and much cooler than recently, by 11.30 it was only 19c.

Then that sea fog drifted in as a cover of low cloud up here from 11.30 to 13.30 and by then temp was only 17c.

Cleared as suddenly as it clouded and it's now 21.5c and rising rather slowly.

Neither fresh nor unfresh now, very pleasant sunshine, humidity 75%, perfect.

And that's the story so far today. I notice it's 28.8c with a rh of 39% in Durrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

29 at Shannon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

What is the temperature record for Ireland ?

• Advertisement

What is the temperature record for Ireland ?

33.3C in June 1887 at Kilkenny

By the way, does anyone know what the record highest overnight low in Ireland has been? just thinking a few locations must barely have dipped to 18 or 19 this week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Larbre34 wrote: »

By the way, does anyone know what the record highest overnight low in Ireland has been? just thinking a few locations must barely have dipped to 18 or 19 this week?

33.3 is that in the shade ?
    Is there any chance that will be breached ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Obviously! It reaches 33.3 in the sun on most sunny days in summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

33.3 is that in the shade ?
    Is there any chance that will be breached ?

Yes all official temps are recorded in the shade- very low chance of that record breaking this week, we should have another chance if the next forecast heatwave comes off. Shannon is still at 29c at 16:00.

23.6c and steady here in D14.

Dan :)

I assume that should be 1987 ?
    Sorry, just googled it and is 1887
    One wonders how accurate were recordings back then though.
    Just 3 degrees off the all time high is quite something in itself
    Surely Shannon will give us 30C at 5pm

I assume that should be 1987 ?
    Sorry, just googled it and is 1887
    One wonders how accurate were recordings back then though.
    Just 3 degrees off the all time high is quite something in itself
    Surely Shannon will give us 30C at 5pm

Yeah I remember being a bit surprised myself when I first heard it that it was so long ago.

Dont tell the global warming zealots!!

3 degrees shy of a national record is a lot!

patneve2 wrote: »
    3 degrees shy of a national record is a lot!

Casement got to 31.0 in 2006

Yeah I remember being a bit surprised myself when I first heard it that it was so long ago.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Don't tell Met Eireann either!

I'm not sure how the 33.3c is more "verified" or "official" than the host of places that have recorded 30+ across the country for the past few days; all ignored by ME whose temperatures seem restricted to unrepresentative locations in chilly airports and coastal headlands.

And they keep moving their handful of locations - so continuous records must be a bit iffy.

ME will say the highest temp of the current spell is 29.8 (or whatever) whereas we have a host of data indicating that it certainly exceeded 31C and possibly 32C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement