Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Quickelles wrote: »
    Don't tell Met Eireann either!

I'm not sure how the 33.3c is more "verified" or "official" than the host of places that have recorded 30+ across the country for the past few days; all ignored by ME whose temperatures seem restricted to unrepresentative locations in chilly airports and coastal headlands.

And they keep moving their handful of locations - so continuous records must be a bit iffy.

ME will say the highest temp of the current spell is 29.8 (or whatever) whereas we have a host of data indicating that it certainly exceeded 31C and possibly 32C.

Those stations probably don't meet the WMO site and equipment standards though, which doesn't make them comparable.
    Some people would have the stations too close to their houses, near pavements, not with the correct type of Stevenson screen, etc, etc, and so are not directly comparable to the official stations.

Still, to allay your concerns, why not email Met Eireann and ask about the old Kilkenny record and their station standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Why?

It was just a light hearted comment, suggesting if you tell a proponent of human influenced global warming theory that it was much hotter in this country 126 years ago, he might get a bit upset and it would be funny.

Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It was just a light hearted comment, suggesting if you tell a proponent of human influenced global warming theory that it was much hotter in this country 126 years ago, he might get a bit upset and it would be funny.

Never mind.

Most people that understand the matter are educated enough to know the difference between normal climate variations and otherwise, I don't think anyone would be upset at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Quickelles wrote: »
    Don't tell Met Eireann either!

I'm not sure how the 33.3c is more "verified" or "official" than the host of places that have recorded 30+ across the country for the past few days; all ignored by ME whose temperatures seem restricted to unrepresentative locations in chilly airports and coastal headlands.

And they keep moving their handful of locations - so continuous records must be a bit iffy.

ME will say the highest temp of the current spell is 29.8 (or whatever) whereas we have a host of data indicating that it certainly exceeded 31C and possibly 32C.

Don't get me started. Like you say, Met E seem to have placed most of their stations in the most ridiculous of locations in areas that aren't representative of where the population lives, and have closed down stations with decades of weather data.

How there isn't a proper Dublin city station is beyond me. Though I guess the Phoenix Park comes close, though it's only recently that Met E have actually started giving proper data for the station on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Those stations probably don't meet the WMO site and equipment standards though, which doesn't make them comparable.
    Some people would have the stations too close to their houses, near pavements, not with the correct type of Stevenson screen, etc, etc, and so are not directly comparable to the official stations.

Still, to allay your concerns, why not email Met Eireann and ask about the old Kilkenny record and their station standards?

What about the NRA stations, some of them went over 30 yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Kerry airport is 31 degrees now

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Shpongler

Another record day here o my weather station

l1gc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Godge wrote: »
    What about the NRA stations, some of them went over 30 yesterday?

While they're quite good, those stations are located and set up for accurate measurements of the road surface temperature, not the air temperature, and so their locations being right on the roadside means they wouldn't meet the WMO standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

compsys wrote: »
    Don't get me started. Like you say, Met E seem to have placed most of their stations in the most ridiculous of locations in areas that aren't representative of where the population lives, and have closed down stations with decades of weather data.

How there isn't a proper Dublin city station is beyond me. Though I guess the Phoenix Park comes close, though it's only recently that Met E have actually started giving proper data for the station on their website.

The point about the airports is valid. The Cork city station is cork airport which is 160m higher than the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Lucreto wrote: »
    25.6C at the moment in Naas.

Can't sleep in that heat. I have only slept maybe 15 hours since Saturday. I hope it will cool down soon.

Just take ur duvet off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Lucreto wrote: »
    25.6C at the moment in Naas.

Can't sleep in that heat. I have only slept maybe 15 hours since Saturday. I hope it will cool down soon.

Just take ur duvet off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Just take ur duvet off

... and clothes ya? Don't be such a pervert. There's no room for that in this thread, or anywhere else for that matter. Go on now and go about your business let you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Most people that understand the matter are educated enough to know the difference between normal climate variations and otherwise, I don't think anyone would be upset at all.

A joke Maq, just a bit of a joke on a summers day....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That website has many hundreds of stations marked on the interactive map, some of them in south west London were showing 30, relatively few of them are quoted on the 'Latest Obs' list on the main UK Met site.
    are they "unofficial" observations made by amateur weather enthusiasts like us here on boards?
    If anywhere hits 30 today it will here in Ireland, there is no way anything near 30c will recorded in the London area today.
    Netweather's current highest temperature list has Shannon on 29c followed by Exeter a full two degrees behind on 27c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Some people would have the stations too close to their houses, near pavements, not with the correct type of Stevenson screen, etc, etc, and so are not directly comparable to the official stations.Met Eireann and ask about the old Kilkenny record and their station standards?

This is exactly it!

I'd never take my own readings as entirely accurate, as my instruments haven't been validated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Shpongler wrote: »
    Another record day here o my weather station

l1gc.jpg
    Highest recorded here too (30m above you) but slightly lower reading - 30.6 deg C. @ 16:43.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ryanado

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Offically Edenfel,Co.Tyrone has recorded the Highest temperature of the year so far 29.9c in Ireland and the Uk on Monday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Does an 'official' Irish temperature have to be measured or verified by Met Eireann ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Does an 'official' Irish temperature have to be measured or verified by Met Eireann ?

Basically...yes (in the ROI that is).

Some contrast. At 1900: Shannon AP 29c. Malin Head 12c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This is exactly it!

I'd never take my own readings as entirely accurate, as my instruments haven't been validated.
    neither do I but I always compare my readings with Dublin Airport about 5 km away, at the moment I'm 21.6 and the airport 20c - the city is usually a degree or so higher.
    As for clear calm nights, especially in winter I'm often 4 or 5 degrees higher - but we won't go there, there's another thread already about the ME station at the airport. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A high of around 17C here in Donegal today

14C at the moment with windchill making it feel colder

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Harps wrote: »
    Dense sea fog again in Donegal, 16C

Not in all of Donegal. Continuous sunshine and 24°C in the northwest - same as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Doesn't seem to be much of this so called "change" for Dublin anyway this coming weekend with temps hitting 23 on sat and 24 on sun according to siobhan, if Gerry appears over the next few days however its summer over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Weathering wrote: »
    Offically Edenfel,Co.Tyrone has recorded the Highest temperature of the year so far 29.9c in Ireland and the Uk on Monday

On the weather after RTE 9pm News they said Shannon Airport hit 30c today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

25 C on Tralee Bay now. fabulous sunset. Should be a scorcher again tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Duiske wrote: »
    On the weather after RTE 9pm News they said Shannon Airport hit 30c today.

Might be rounding involved. Last night they said mt dillon reached 30. Think it was actually 29.5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Harps wrote: »
    A high of around 17C here in Donegal today

14C at the moment with windchill making it feel colder

You need to come to Kerry on your Hols. Today was the coolest day this week at 29C!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

feels cold here now, even though its 19c! Contemplating on closing the windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

audman wrote: »
    ... and clothes ya? Don't be such a pervert. There's no room for that in this thread, or anywhere else for that matter. Go on now and go about your business let you.

What??! How is he being a pervert? if your hot take your duvet off :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement