Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shannon hit 29.5 today.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Supercell wrote: »
    Shannon hit 29.5 today.

Wow and it only 11 in malin head with light rain at 2200

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Harps wrote: »
    A high of around 17C here in Donegal today

14C at the moment with windchill making it feel colder

High of 27.6 here in Ballybofey, currently 17.6. Cracking day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

18 c now outside, that's four less than this time last night. Not relieving the indoor heat though. 26 c baking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Harps wrote: »
    A high of around 17C here in Donegal today

14C at the moment with windchill making it feel colder

Harps...you'll never get a job with Donegal tourism! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roll on Monday! Probably all get the shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How long is this to last for?

ryanf1 wrote: »

Until the 27th of September. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

23 instead of 27 in the house tonight, such a beautiful night outside though.

PS Audrey McGrath. That is all.

just had a lovely cold shower. Bliss. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

I posted earlier that it was 42C in our attic at 8.00 pm on Tues evening (09.07.13).

Went up there at 7.00 pm yesterday evening (Wed 10.07.13) and it was 45C !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

Great heat today down these parts...some disorienting effects..like coming out of a shopping centre at 8.40pm and still walking into an oven :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Monday 29.2c (30.0c)
    Tuesday 28.5c (28.4c)
    Wednesday 29.0c (28.8c)

South Laois temperatures. (AWS figures in brackets, others are ME standard) AWS accuracy improved owing to the slight breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

90% humidity here, most uncomfortable night so far this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

ryanf1 wrote: »

Here is Ken ring predicting our heatwave to start from JULY 8TH AND 9TH. The interview is from the start of 2013

http://www.rosfm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Ken-Ring-Summer-Prediction.mp3

He said around the second week or third week of August we will get another heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Here is Ken ring predicting our heatwave to start from JULY 8TH AND 9TH. The interview is from the start of 2013

http://www.rosfm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Ken-Ring-Summer-Prediction.mp3

He said around the second week or third week of August we will get another heatwave.

'Moon reader' predicting a long, hot summer - (04 January 2011)

Coldest Irish summer in 50 years - its official (15 August 2011)

Predicting a spell of warm weather to happen in the middle of summer? Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. If I predict that we'll have a cold spell in the middle of next winter it won't be because the moon told me anything about it, it will be because of chances of that happening in the middle of winter is better than other times of the year. The most advanced supercomputers in the world that take up an entire floor of an office building are barely able to figure out what the weather will be like more than a week in advance.

'Moon reader' predicting a long, hot summer - (04 January 2011)

Coldest Irish summer in 50 years - its official (15 August 2011)

Predicting a spell of warm weather to happen in the middle of summer? Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. If I predict that we'll have a cold spell in the middle of next winter it won't be because the moon told me anything about it, it will be because of chances of that happening in the middle of winter is better than other times of the year. The most advanced supercomputers in the world that take up an entire floor of an office building are barely able to figure out what the weather will be like more than a week in advance.

Even Ken ring could not have predicted the Iceland Volcano eruption of 2011

Events like this effect the weather.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8529178/Ash-cloud-from-Icelandic-volcano-to-hit-Britain-tomorrow.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/cold-weather-due-to-iceland-s-volcano

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0522/301370-iceland/
    Hes been spot on with the dates this year so far for a heatwave. In my book hes predictions are rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8529178/Ash-cloud-from-Icelandic-volcano-to-hit-Britain-tomorrow.html

Hes been spot on with the dates this year so far for a heatwave. In my book hes predictions are rock solid.

You tell him Ken!

Seriously, maybe he's on to something in some respects but he gets it wrong plenty too. calling the predictions of someone who predicts weather six months in advance "rock solid" is a hard one to stand over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

His predictions are no better than weather horoscopes, generalised hogwash with no scientific backing. They are just based on climatology and taking a stab in the dark/guess. He will choose scenarios that are plausible in said season. Per Maq, Heatwave in July. But he amuses people and provides entertainment/debate so I don't begrudge him making a few pounds off a few the peoples.

You tell him Ken!

Seriously, maybe he's on to something in some respects but he gets it wrong plenty too. calling the predictions of someone who predicts weather six months in advance "rock solid" is a hard one to stand over.

I doubt its a guess. Has he not predicted correctly the exact dates for our heatwave? Why pick July. Why not say June or August or September?

Why did he say the 8th and 9th, like why not pick the 15th or some other date in July?

Its not if he was being vague with people, he gave exact dates before time (jan 2013 interview is from)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Is it unusual to have heat wave temperatures in much of Ireland and more seasonable temperatures in London? According to the RTE weather bulletin the temperature in the mid west region has broken the 30c barrier. While it was about 24c in the London area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ether i'm getting used to this heat or it's "cooler" tonight here in cork. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Is it unusual to have heat wave temperatures in much of Ireland and more seasonable temperatures in London? According to the RTE weather bulletin the temperature in the mid west region has broken the 30c barrier. While it was about 24c in the London area.
    Yes. I've never seen a summer like this before when the best weather is the further west you go, in other words, Ireland is getting a better summer than the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Not wanting to put a dampner on things.. but when is there actually rain forecast again for dublin? My phones weather app is saying there is no rain up to next wednesday? more white cloud from saturday.. with slightly lower temps..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yes. I've never seen a summer like this before when the best weather is the further west you go, in other words, Ireland is getting a better summer than the UK.

London was 28c last Saturday, same on Sunday and forecast for the same this weekend, we're doing ok here i think :)

Surely one week of good weather does not mean a summer? I'm often on the phone to family back home (Limerick) and they tell me its always grey there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Not wanting to put a dampner on things.. but when is there actually rain forecast again for dublin? My phones weather app is saying there is no rain up to next wednesday? more white cloud from saturday.. with slightly lower temps..
    that looks correct at the moment. The north and west should get a sprinkle this weekend but the south and east should remain dry

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No breeze this morning. 19.1c atm.

Back to the warm weather....19.3 here...and it was just 11.9 at 6.15am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another hot and sticky night which had nothing to do with shexy stuff. Bring on the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Would I be right in saying the highest temperature ever recorded in Dublin was 31 degrees at Casement in July 2006?
    If this second spell of hot weather get to us next week there may be a very slight possibility of this record being in trouble

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement