Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

SST - sea surface temperature.

Thanks Maq, does that mean we won't get the nads frozen off us entering any of our coastal water should this hot spell continue?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Keith96 wrote: »
    East could hit 30C tomorrow :)

It's only 12.7c here now....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Why is the temperature in the east dropping so fast at nighttime for the past two days? Is the humidity subsiding or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Deank wrote: »
    You need a new PWS, those readings are record breaking if accurate?

Definitely not accurate. Actual temp, according to that graph, went over 35c today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

if anyone can find my normal sleep pattern i would b grateful. yikes. good morning from cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Why is the temperature in the east dropping so fast at nighttime for the past two days? Is the humidity subsiding or something?

I would assume it's actually because it's not as hazy at night.

For the first few days of a heatwave here the surface of the soil would have a lot of water to evaporate resulting in much higher humidity than you'd get in a country that has a drier climate.

After a few days, that moisture is gone and the humidity drops so it a lot cooler when the sun goes down at night.

That's my theory anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Would I be right in saying that today's model output has drought written all over it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭compsys

If you're referring to the Dublin Airport station (which feeds into your iPhone weather app and most other mobile apps) it's because the station is located in the wrong location and gives ridiculously low readings at night sometimes compared to the rest of the country.

For example 'Dublin' got down to 9.5c last night when the rest of the country was around 14 or 15 minimum (including Casement station only a few km away). There's another thread discussion on it.

In general the East's temps have been a bit lower at night but not as low as the 'official' readings from Met E would suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

There's been a notable sea breeze in coastal Dublin anyway from Wednesday on. I work in Poolbeg, temperatures certainly peaked on Monday and Tuesday and it has been relatively fresh since. I don't think it got much higher than 23 yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Win west at Dublin Airport, bring on the heat for the east today, 28 at Dublin Airport maybe at a stretch..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant believe how fast all the grass basically died around here (Greystones), fields are still green but any roadside stuff, neighbours lawns etc all looking parched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

23c already in donegal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

compsys wrote: »

For example 'Dublin' got down to 9.5c last night when the rest of the country was around 14 or 15 minimum (including Casement station only a few km away). There's another thread discussion on it.

In general the East's temps have been a bit lower at night but not as low as the 'official' readings from Met E would suggest.

10.4c at 6am here (now 22.2C.....+12c in 4 hours!)

Might be exaggerated at the Dublin Airport frost hollow but here about 20km south and 400ft asl the lows of the past eight days since the daytime max started to exceed 20c constantly (starting 5th July, rounded) -

11, 9, 14, 12, 12, 13, 12, 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that today's model output has drought written all over it?

I don't know if i'd say drought, but the next 7-10 days look like being bone dry for most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Love the MetE forecast, cooling down on Sunday, temperatures may only make it to the mid twenties in the south and East! How often do we hear that!

Personally, looking at the models, 25 degrees will be reached daily somewhere in Ireland till Friday at the least.

I think it'll be even hotter, we're sitting under largely the same airmass as the UK all weekend, and there looking at a scorcher, 30 degrees both days for some and so long as the cloud and drizzle don't hinder the South and East much, I feel a hot weekend could be in store. I could be missing a cooler variable affecting Ireland, but oh well.

ECM was stunning this morning.

GFS far FI...it's toying with Greenland height rises, something I saw yesterday. Hopefully that signal is dropped, or else it's curtains to nice weather for awhile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Cool (when wearing just a pair of shorts:D) and overcast in mid Clare. Delighted with the break from the heat for a few hours, can get a bit of work done and recharge my batteries for another onslaught of the beach, sun and sand this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

compsys wrote: »
    If you're referring to the Dublin Airport station (which feeds into your iPhone weather app and most other mobile apps) it's because the station is located in the wrong location and gives ridiculously low readings at night sometimes compared to the rest of the country.

Last night at 0100 it was 11c at the Airport and I was 16c only a few kms away. Even if this heatwave continues for the rest of the month the mean temp at Dublin Airport will probably only be around average due to this ridiculous location.
    Dublin at 21c at the moment is 7 degrees warmer than London, this has been a regular occurence since early June with the high more or less on top of us and cool air rotating around the high over eastern England.
    I saw a post on NW last night from someone in Yorkshire who said "if only the high would drift east" :D for once we're getting a better summer, I've never seen the likes of it before.
    * yes, I know London got 28c last weekend but that has been the exception, it has been much more cloudier in those parts so far this summer.
    Look at the cloud moving down the North Sea, this has been the pattern so far this summer.
    http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Poor old Malin head only 15c with fog thickening yet its 25c with me in Stranorlar Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

The M2 buoy - approximately 20 nautical miles (37Km) east of Howth Head - is reporting a sea temperature of 16.1*C.

Thought that was 15*C yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Another scorcher here in south Donegal. My husband was so jealous of my neighbors heading to Greece last week even though I kept telling him MT was giving an amazing forecast. I can honestly say there's nowhere else like here when the sun shines :-) This reminds me of Summers from my childhood in the 80s, plenty of hay baling, early mornings in the bog...... I'm basically full of the joys!

No weather station of my own but Finner was giving 24° at 7 yesterday evening, we were all in the tide until about 9. In all my life the water has never ever felt this warm!

Hopefully MT is right about that colder movement from the north and this high can stand its ground for another wee while.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

shmaupel wrote: »
    Another scorcher here in south Donegal. My husband was so jealous of my neighbors heading to Greece last week even though I kept telling him MT was giving an amazing forecast. I can honestly say there's nowhere else like here when the sun shines :-) This reminds me of Summers from my childhood in the 80s, plenty of hay baling, early mornings in the bog...... I'm basically full of the joys!

No weather station of my own but Finner was giving 24° at 7 yesterday evening, we were all in the tide until about 9. In all my life the water has never ever felt this warm!

Hopefully MT is right about that colder movement from the north and this high can stand its ground for another wee while.......

Just to add.... While I know MT isn't actually responsible for this heat.... I'm still seriously considering getting an 'I heart MT' tshirt made!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Another belter of a run from the GFS 06Z. Highs never dropping below mid-20s and then (in FI) later next week rising to high 20's again and probably a bit beyond with no cool down in sight for the next 2 weeks. Hopefully it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The models really are looking great right now.
    For me it brings back memories of '89 which saw weeks and weeks of hot sunshine.
    Record heat looks like re-building by end of next week.
    In the meantime we will have to put up with blue skies and temps of 25 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

very warm here today in south mayo. Warmest its been at this time of the day for the whole of the week. yesterday at 16.00 I had 28.7c, Now ive got 28.4c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Whats up with the Oak Park station in Carlow? Hasn't been showing any temps recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Dublin AP already at 24 C, 28/29 not out of the question if wind stays offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

patneve2 wrote: »

Well If Dublin Airport is 24 Degrees it must be close to 40 degrees in Dublin City ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

23.6c here in Wexford already.. 27.9c is the hottest I've had all week let's see if that goes today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It seems an awful lot warmer today in the office as compared to any other day this week so far!
    Thargor wrote: »
    Cant believe how fast all the grass basically died around here (Greystones), fields are still green but any roadside stuff, neighbours lawns etc all looking parched.

With the first drop of rain it will be all green again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

patneve2 wrote: »

25 C now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement