Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is this really enough to be classed a heatwave??

AFAIK a heatwave occurs when there are 5, or more, days with temps 5c, or more, over the average (for the time of year)...so for many the last week could be classified officially as a heatwave.

23.5c here atm after reaching 25.1c earlier. Clear and sunny all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

There is no global official definition of a heatwave as what's considered "heat" varies by region, but if Ireland did have criteria for a heatwave, I'm sure this weather would qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

UKmo specs for a UK heatwave mentioned during bulletins on news 24 today are days at 30c or higher and night time no lower than 15c

Meanwhile,the normal summer temps continue in Arklow today.
    Still 18.3c and feeling chilly in a sea breeze gusting to 25mph

whitebriar wrote: »
    UKmo specs for a UK heatwave mentioned during bulletins on news 24 today are days at 30c or higher and night time no lower than 15c

Meanwhile,the normal summer temps continue in Arklow today.
    Still 18.3c and feeling chilly in a sea breeze gusting to 25mph

Met Office Blog

"How hot is a heat wave?

There’s actually no official definition of a heat wave in the UK. In America, where high temperatures are more likely, the official classification is based on the Heat Index. The Heat Index temperature is a ‘feels-like’ temperature calculated by combining the temperature and relative humidity.

Depending on the local climate, an excessive heat warning is issued when the Heat Index is expected to exceed 105 °- 110 °F (40 °C – 43 °C) for at least two consecutive days.

Australia also has variable definitions depending on the state. In Adelaide, a heat wave is defined as five consecutive days at or above 35 °C, or three consecutive days at or over 40 °C.
    "

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/what-is-a-heat-wave/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Warm and sticky day few clouds about but mostly the sun is shining. the water level in the canal seem to have dropped a bit the last few days. Loving the weather especially the late evening warmth. The Leinster Fleadh is on all week here in Edenderry and what a week to have it on, standing in the square listening to a bit of trad in shorts at 10:30pm, nearly forgot what summer in Ireland is like. 10 - 12 more days of it you say..:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Where i live it hasn't dropped below 25 celsius all week. From Wednesday next week it looks like temperatures will rise again.

Thursday is penciled for 29 Celsius no end in sight yet.

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Met Office Blog

"How hot is a heat wave?

There’s actually no official definition of a heat wave in the UK. In America, where high temperatures are more likely, the official classification is based on the Heat Index. The Heat Index temperature is a ‘feels-like’ temperature calculated by combining the temperature and relative humidity.

Depending on the local climate, an excessive heat warning is issued when the Heat Index is expected to exceed 105 °- 110 °F (40 °C – 43 °C) for at least two consecutive days.

Australia also has variable definitions depending on the state. In Adelaide, a heat wave is defined as five consecutive days at or above 35 °C, or three consecutive days at or over 40 °C.
    "

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/what-is-a-heat-wave/
    There might be that but they were certainly defining it as 30 by day ,min 15 by night today on bbc news 24 for the Uk.

There might be that but they were certainly defining it as 30 by day ,min 15 by night today on bbc news 24 for the Uk.

Further along the blog, it explains the threshold for health warnings, which is probably what the news channels are referring to...

Heat health watch

Working in association with the Department of Health, the Met Office provides a heat health warning system for England.

The Heat-health watch system comprises four levels of response based upon threshold maximum daytime and minimum night-time temperatures. These thresholds vary by region, but an average threshold temperature is 30 °C by day and 15 °C overnight for at least two consecutive days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Yikes this to continue until at least Thursday? &had an American laugh at me when I said to him its very warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

27 degrees Oak Park Carlow on the 1800 reports....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Had a massive rain shower here about an hour ago Came out of nowhere. Had to pull in when i was driving as the wipers were making little or no difference. A bit of thunder followed and there's a very light drizzle now and loads of clouds. Clonmel is about 8 miles away and apparently it didn't reach them. No idea of real temperature but car was at 28.5 all day and after the shower it had dropped to 20.5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Rain shower did reach clonmel especially Davis rd and areas south of the river. Higher areas had a few big drops but that's all. Thunder rolling away the last 45 minutes. Currently very cloudy tempature 20 degrees

Rain shower did reach clonmel especially Davis rd and areas south of the river. Higher areas had a few big drops but that's all. Thunder rolling away the last 45 minutes. Currently very cloudy tempature 20 degrees

That's the side I'm on. Just started to get heavier here again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Cloudy in Waterford *gasp*

I could see all the convective clouds towards Clonmel, but heard no thunder over here (towards Mitchelstown). The sky is still quite threatening looking, especially towards the east.
    The temperature is finally dropping with the cloud, 24.9C now, with a refreshing breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I happened to be in Clonmel today. It feels far hotter than my home in coastal Dublin. And there were two major thundery showers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Cloudless sunny day; max 24.2C was at 12.30.

From 3pm a fresh breeze kicked in and temp started to fall - got below 20C at 18.30 and already now down to 17C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Is this really enough to be classed a heatwave??

Clare county council are gritting the roads every day, it's either a heat wave or unseasonal cold snap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Yikes this to continue until at least Thursday? &had an American laugh at me when I said to him its very warm.

Well he was clearly simple.

Two spanish lads in our office wearing shorts all week complaining about the heat outside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

18.3c in Arklow.
    very strong sea breeze.
    wow what a contrast to yesterday,almost 9 degrees colder

I'm in arklow too but it was was much warmer where I am. I had 24c and it was really warm. A bit breezy but nothing much. I'm about 2 miles from the sea.

• Advertisement

Temps here never really recovered since the rain earlier. It's much cooler tonight. On the plus side, I'm looking forward to be able to sleep properly tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Think down here for once we are getting the best of the sun. there's barely been five mins of cloud cover since last Saturday. i think today was the hottest. Fermoy / Moorepark was 28 again for much of the day. Its been 25 or more in the city for 8 consecutive days now which feels like a heatwave to me!

I'm in arklow too but it was was much warmer where I am. I had 24c and it was really warm. A bit breezy but nothing much. I'm about 2 miles from the sea.

All I can say is I'm using a Davis vantage pro 2 station and that is very accurate.
    It probably would reach 24 in a back garden maybe or if the thermometer or station isn't shielded well but its not a true temp in the air say 20ft above you.

Within 3 0r 4 yards of a hedge here out of the wind,its going to feel hot alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

High of 25. Already down to 17. Outside all evening and be able to sleep tonight. Perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll whisper this - its nearly cool

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

All I can say is I'm using a Davis vantage pro 2 station and that is very accurate.
    It probably would reach 24 in a back garden maybe or if the thermometer or station isn't shielded well but its not a true temp in the air say 20ft above you.

Within 3 0r 4 yards of a hedge here out of the wind,its going to feel hot alright.

I was in Gorey most of the day, and low 20's seemed probable though. Warm in the sun, and nice and cool in the breeze, perfect weather :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Down to 17 outside. Almost fleece weather now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

14.2 here at 11pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Seriously close and muggy here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bitter 15c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement