Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Spider wrote: »
    The link you posted for his prediction is for this year 2013, the article was written on 02 Jan 2013

Think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/moon-reader-predicting-a-long-hot-summer-26611051.html

The fact that it's hard to tell the difference between them says something about the generality forecasts...
    scorching weather in July.

I should make it clear that I don't have any problem with anyone making long range forecasts, they are harmless and fun and I do the Lotto myself sometimes so I have nothing against the concept of random guesses.

The problem I have is the guy is selling a spreadsheet that is meant to tell you what the weather is like on any given day between now and the year 2019... all yours for just $217 NZD. I honestly don't know if he believes in it himself or if he is just too busy laughing all the way to the bank but either way its a scam aimed at people who don't know any better, and all the exposure given to him in the media or online only acts as advertising for what he is selling.

Anyway...back to reality...

23 at Johnston Castle at 3pm. Warming up nicely in the southeast this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Disappointing day weather wise. Cloud has been stubborn all day and looks like remianing so. Might get an hour or 2 of late sunshine, which often happens in these setups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

While we are still apparently locked in for a nice boost of heat later in the week and weekend, it looks more and more like the fat lady will be singing in 8-10 days time for this hot spell. Though, the way the year has panned out so far who's going to predict we will see a Round 3 at some point in August?

Disappointing day weather wise. Cloud has been stubborn all day and looks like remianing so. Might get an hour or 2 of late sunshine, which often happens in these setups.

Take a drive down to south south east, lovely here now. Cloud is burnt away. :D

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

dopolahpec wrote: »
    While we are still apparently locked in for a nice boost of heat later in the week and weekend, it looks more and more like the fat lady will be singing in 8-10 days time for this hot spell. Though, the way the year has panned out so far who's going to predict we will see a Round 3 at some point in August?

Yep, looking at the GFS ensembles it looks nice and steady until around day 10, then the uncertainty starts coming in with some members showing a drop in temperature but others not changing much at all :

dS12ybi.jpg

It's interesting though to look back at what the GFS was showing 10 days ago, and what it shows is the breakdown starting in around 10 days, aka today...

gfs-2013070500-0-252.png

So it will be interesting to see if things get pushed back again as time goes on or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

dopolahpec wrote: »

Like Ken Ring Style I can 100% Guarantee there WILL be a scorcher in August :DI have not figured out which year yet though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Hot and sunny now in Cork. Google says 26C. wunderground says 27.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Enjoying the bit of a break in the heat today to be honest, its not cold by any means, 19C outside and 23 indoors, still bone dry of course so the kids are playing away outside for the day and hopefully tonight will be the most comfortable night for over a week

UK Met are calling for a breakdown in all but southern England after 30 July, I think we're likely to see alternating days of cloudy and humid with very warm sun until then, but the days of sparkling unbroken sun countryside may well be done for a while. However, no appreciable rain on the horizon so we will be into official drought status by the weekend and water restrictions and agricultural problems during next week

td6.gif

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Heights still forecast-ed to dominate our area for at least 10 days out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

chakotha wrote: »
    Hot and sunny now in Cork. Google says 26C. wunderground says 27.1C.

...and Met Eireann says 21c :p (...well at the Airport).

A little sun here this afternoon. 21.6c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

We are only 4months away from possible snow terrority again. Crazy. Looking forward to round 2 later this week

From Wednesday until the end if hi-res next Tuesday on the 12Z GFS :

ukmaxtemp.png
    ukmaxtemp.png
    ukmaxtemp.png
    ukmaxtemp.png
    ukmaxtemp.png
    ukmaxtemp.png
    ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Sun broke through in Castlebar around three-ish and it's been a lovely warm and sunny evening. But even from here I can see the blanket of clouds to the south just a few miles away where it has remained overcast all day. Hard to know where the line is but I guess a lot of south Mayo must have remained in the shade.

Turning in to a nice day in Dundalk, just took out the BBQ to get rid of the left over meat from Saturday!

Sun broke through in Castlebar around three-ish and it's been a lovely warm and sunny evening. But even from here I can see the blanket of clouds to the south just a few miles away where it has remained overcast all day. Hard to know where the line is but I guess a lot of south Mayo must have remained in the shade.

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Whats your thoughts of cloud until the end of the weekend Maq ?

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Whats your thoughts of cloud until the end of the weekend Maq ?

Hard to know with cloud very far in advance, I'd guess staying partly cloudy until later in the week anyway.

Hard to know with cloud very far in advance, I'd guess staying partly cloudy until later in the week anyway.

Are you angling for a job presenting the forecast there ;)

Off wednesday so might head mid-west for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Surely most people would be delighted to get a break from the heat but more so the drought, as I've posted elsewhere, figure on August being warm again but perhaps with more normal rainfall in general and a better chance for possibly severe thunderstorm events. I think it likely that the warmer than average signal will fade gradually in September and be replaced by a colder than average regime for a time by the end of that month into early October but that blocking will resume for a nice spell of Indian summer weather later on.

The intensity of the late July cooldown will probably get downgraded closer to the time as I think was true of this recent slight cooling trend, it looked sharper about a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nice & cool today made a pleasant change i must say ..got a bit of gardening done without feeling knackered after 5min

• Advertisement

Does anyone think the SSW earlier on in the year contribute to our stellar July weather?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

After a bright start it was cloudy from about 8.30 to early afternoon keeping temps pinned in the 18 - 19 range in a stiff westerly breeze from the cloud covered inland.

Mainly clear and sunny since about 2pm but the wind from the cool cloudy area to the west kept the max to 21.8C (at 5.30pm); lowest for five days.

Clear, sunny, 17.8 now.

Some great runs tonight. The BOM being the most exciting showing a 3 day plume over us in FI with +20 uppers just off the south coast. Hot and with potential for a July 1985 style thunderstorm event (my earliest memory, weather related or otherwise!).

BOM :

bom-1-222.png

It's only the BOM though, and deep FI... but I'll be keeping an eye to see if it shows up on the bigger models. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max here today 22.7c in pleasant afternoon sunshine.
    The WXSIM forecasting software on my Waterford Weather site has performed very well throughout this heatwave and its currently showing 28c for Friday and Saturday in my area. The highest temp on record for Waterford that i could find was a 28.8c on August 2nd 1995. It will be interesting to see how close we get to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

ECM has pushed out a very Heatwavey scenario! This July maybe one for the booooks!

pad199207 wrote: »
    ECM has pushed out a very Heatwavey scenario! This July maybe one for the booooks!

Day 10...

130715_1200_240.png

Thats the 12z Maq :)

Thats the latest ECM run :confused:

I know. :) And it's still warm. +15 uppers pushing up from the continent.

• Advertisement

Oh dont mind that comment, mind is all over the place, duh the 12z :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement