Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

pad199207 wrote: »
    Oh dont mind that comment, mind is all over the place, duh the 12z :)

So many z's all over the place ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow BBC reckons Galways going to be hot hot hot from Friday onwards:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2964180

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thargor wrote: »
    Wow BBC reckons Galways going to be hot hot hot from Friday onwards:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2964180

\o/ :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Some great runs tonight. The BOM being the most exciting showing a 3 day plume over us in FI with +20 uppers just off the south coast. Hot and with potential for a July 1985 style thunderstorm event (my earliest memory, weather related or otherwise!).

Are you sure that isn't July 1984?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Advertisement

18Z GFS seems to have pushed the breakdown further back into FI, around Friday 26th with what would be some very warm days next week right up until then. It also teases deep in FI with a very hot plume heading into the UK, similar to the BOM. (It was an outlier, not surprising)

R80QIIB.png

As comparison, this is the plume that gave the UK their all time record high temperature of 38.5 back in 2003 :

archives-2003-8-10-0-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Harps wrote: »
    I'm on my holidays at the moment so that'd do me nicely!

Its been a good week here overall, Tuesday evening and all day Wednesday we had sea fog but clear and sunny every other day until this evening. Just annoying that most of the country is having a memorable spell while we're stuck with temps in the teens most days. My nearest station on IWN has only topped 20C three times all month and has been the single coldest site in the country for the past few days

West Donegal, Monday to Friday of last week - 24°C every day. A bit lower since then but still fine and sunny for the most part with a little mist or light rain some nights. Don't know where you are but I have been out in the sun all week and could not fault the temperature, except for a couple of hours today and even then it got warm again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

solas111 wrote: »
    West Donegal, Monday to Friday of last week - 24°C every day. A bit lower since then but still fine and sunny for the most part with a little mist or light rain some nights. Don't know where you are but I have been out in the sun all week and could not fault the temperature, except for a couple of hours today and even then it got warm again.

It's amazing how much variability one county can have, temperature wise. Finner Camp was up to 10 degrees hotter than Malin Head on many days last week.

Malin Head seems to lose out when it comes to warm weather. I seem to remember previous heatwaves being the same. Malin Head being stuck in the teens while the rest of the country baked in the 20s or 30/31 degrees. Surely another example of a micro-climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes Malin Head certainly isn't a representation of the general weather in Donegal which makes the recent addition of Finner very important.

It's a different world up there !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

-24c every day!
    It certainly is a different world up there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Yes Malin Head certainly isn't a representation of the general weather in Donegal which makes the recent addition of Finner very important.

It's a different world up there !

Yeah true however Finner is very close to the coast too so it isn't a good indicator for the climate of inland Donegal. I live in east Donegal and the Castlederg station just over the border is almost indentical if not indentical to the temps I record everyday. I'd love for Met Eireann to open a weather station up here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Weathering wrote: »
    Yeah true however Finner is very close to the coast too so it isn't a good indicator for the climate of inland Donegal. I live in east Donegal and the Castlederg station just over the border is almost indentical if not indentical to the temps I record everyday. I'd love for Met Eireann to open a weather station up here

I'm originally from Kerry and never like that Valentia is the only official station for that county and which is quite unrepresentative due to it's outer coastal headland location. Temps are much more temperate there than inland Kerry both in winter and summer. They should have another one in Kerry Airport which is inland . The unofficial airport records showed values of 30 degrees on 2 or 3 days last week so at least there is a recorded facility but it's not recognised by ME. Incidentally, Mayo has 3 official Met Eireann stations. (Claremorris, Knock and Belmullet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'm right on the coast, taking my data from this station which is less than 2km away. Only topped 20C three times, one of which just managed to reach 20.0C. A few miles inland and its been a totally different story, we've been just about the single worst place in the country for weather this month

I was going to mention Malin Head in the Dublin Airport thread the other day when it was suggested that station wasn't representative of the wider area, if there was ever a station that's out on its own its Malin, in both Summer and Winter the temperature is usually several degrees different to what 95% of Donegal is experiencing. Not a flaw in its own right but its usually used on weather websites as the Donegal station so not at all accurate in that sense

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Harps are you in Galway or Donegal?, I must admit to being confused by the location under your name and the updates about Donegal ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

After viewing comments on another thread from more learned weather enthusiasts than me they appear to indicate no breakdown for the foreseeable future so the talked about breakdown for next tues has been pushed out,we may be heading towards 95 territory now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Glorious cloud free morning in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Meh. Cloudy dull but dry again. But with the stunning charts this morning, those of us under the cloud just need a little patience before the sun returns with a vengeance. Ground is bone dry now and brown patches appearing in the lawn. No gorse fires yet, it can only be a matter of time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Glorious cloud free morning in Waterford.

Same here in Cork City. Although there are a few wisps in the sky.

Speaking of wisps, saw my first wasp yesterday! Seems they've woken up!

I suspect because of the bad start to the season they hatched late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Another 10 days of dry warm weather will certainly mean fairly widespread drought. Will be interesting to see how it is dealt with. I believe the warnings on water usage should be widespread in the media already, but they aren't. I foresee sudden panic regarding this. I would love to know how the levels look for Dublin City's supply at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Clouds clearing in the east now !

sat24.com/gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Harps wrote: »
    I'm right on the coast, taking my data from this station which is less than 2km away. Only topped 20C three times, one of which just managed to reach 20.0C. A few miles inland and its been a totally different story, we've been just about the single worst place in the country for weather this month

I was going to mention Malin Head in the Dublin Airport thread the other day when it was suggested that station wasn't representative of the wider area, if there was ever a station that's out on its own its Malin, in both Summer and Winter the temperature is usually several degrees different to what 95% of Donegal is experiencing. Not a flaw in its own right but its usually used on weather websites as the Donegal station so not at all accurate in that sense

Yes, I completely understand your point.

I understand Met E's resources are limited (and genuinely think they do a fairly good job for the budget they've got) but they've placed some of their stations in the most ridiculous of locations (in my opinion at least).

Dublin Airport is often used as the Dublin weather station which is annoying. However, I think Malin Head representing Donegal and Valentia representing Kerry are probably even worse examples.

I understand all these stations may report accurate data for their respective locations but it would be great if more of Ireland's official weather stations were where people in Ireland actually lived!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

compsys wrote: »
    ....but they've placed some of their stations in the most ridiculous of locations (in my opinion at least).

Why do you think they are rediculous? They are positioned for specific purposes. If you are involved in aviation or marine activities they are pretty logical! :rolleyes:

Those headland stations are invaluable when tracking long term climate trends as they are less affected by building development and vegetation changes than inland stations.

All the more reason the loss of Rosslare was a criminal act. The Southeast will lose it's sunny record to Dublin over the next decade - we'll be talking about the Sunny East!

Which makes it all the more disappointing to note that there is a gloomy pall of cloud over us right now; mildest night of the current warm snap last night (low 15.4) - it's now a bracing 18.2.

As I type the sun found a fleeting chink in the clouds. It's breezy from the west, a feisty zephyr gusting to 20kph.

Stunning 0Z ECM....

20.5 here already, looks like being a warmer day that yesterday as long as it the clouds keep away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Quickelles wrote: »

All the more reason the loss of Rosslare was a criminal act. The Southeast will lose it's sunny record to Dublin over the next decade - we'll be talking about the Sunny East!

Which makes it all the more disappointing to note that there is a gloomy pall of cloud over us right now; mildest night of the current warm snap last night (low 15.4) - it's now a bracing 18.2.

As I type the sun found a fleeting chink in the clouds. It's breezy from the west, a feisty zephyr gusting to 20kph.
    As Johnstown Castle is only up the road from Rosslare I think the amount of sunshine hours recorded will be more or less identical to Rosslare.
    There's a gap in the cloud reaching the Capital now but it will cloud over again in about an hour unfortunately.
    http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Quickelles wrote: »

The problem with Rosslare was the amount of development close to it.
    https://www.google.com/maps?ll=52.249103,-6.33526&spn=0.002624,0.004823&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.248788,-6.334973&panoid=HJwoAr2rOgmUPwjk76DZxw&cbp=12,51.15,,0,-8.71

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Nice and sunny in Dublin city now, feels warmer than yesterday

The ECM brings in hot, humid air over us in FI.

Not often you see this in a Met Eireann forecast...
    High humidity and high temperatures at night will make it feel oppressive for some.

Up to 21.5 here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

As Johnstown Castle is only up the road from Rosslare I think the amount of sunshine hours recorded will be more or less identical to Rosslare.

Johnstown Castle has been recording weather data since 1914. I'd say this is one of the main reasons the station was moved here. The station was moved a few hundred meters to be further away from the labs.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52849595
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53798654

From a few years ago
    Met Eireann is currently introducing a new generation of automatic
    weather stations at many of our locations. The installation of such
    equipment is a big undertaking and, before proceeding with it, we made
    an assessment of the current and likely future suitability of the
    station locations for weather measurements. The station at Rosslare
    Harbour has problems with its exposure ( cliff, trees and buildings )
    and this prompted us to choose Johnstown Castle as the location for our
    new installation. The station at Rosslare Harbour is currently providing
    a reduced number of hourly synoptic reports and this will eventually
    stop.

• Advertisement

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Not so sure about that. Sunshine levels decrease rapidly from the coast inland.

Johnstown Castle is eight miles away (a vast distance in terms of micro-climate potential) and is much further inland from the east, southeast and south coasts.

It simply cannot match the old location for sunshine; it will be significantly warmer in the day-time and cooler at night than a the coastal location. It will be noticeably less windy.

Sky is cloudless here now, sun beaming down and temperature has soared to a sizzling 21 degrees :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement