Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Why do you think they are rediculous? They are positioned for specific purposes. If you are involved in aviation or marine activities they are pretty logical! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I meant from a population point of view.

I do accept that the stations go back decades (maybe over a 100 years in some cases?) and have excellent historical data. I also realise that from a marine and aviation point of view they're important. I wouldn't advocate that they be closed.

But at the same time the vast majority of the Irish people aren't involved in marine or aviation activity and don't live near Malin Head or Valentia for example. And although DA is relatively close to the city centre it's not really representative of Dublin as a whole and weather apps and sites always feed off this station which is annoying (though Phoenix Park is thankfully being used more now - but it's only recently that this has happened and I'm not sure if it provides enough data for apps and sites to actually feed off).

Times change and stations are needed where people are living and working. It's a bit like saying Dublin Bus provides a brilliant direct bus service from Malin Head to Valentia that goes back decades. That may be well and good, but if the route isn't relevant to anyone anymore you have to ask questions (a silly metaphor but hopefully the point is clear).

And although centre locations suffer from heat island effects etc, the population needs to know what real temperatures are actually going to feel like (so long as a station isn't placed in a completely ridiculous location in direct sun beside a window for example).

On some nights over the past few evenings Dublin CC has been sweltering. I'm not sure if many people in the city cared whether this was because of UHI effects or concrete or direct sunlight etc - they just want to know how warm it's going to stay in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It always seems to Heathrow that records the daily UK max during summer heatwaves - a place with acres upon acres of tarmac, car parks, terminal buildings, hangars and warehouses with vast roofs all radiating heat and not much soil to absorb the sun, the place with five terminals is more of a city than an airport ............. just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Just noticed yesterday was the first time since July 4th that no Dublin station exceeded 20 degrees. If I was told at the start of the summer that we would have 11 days in a row of above 20 degrees in Dublin I would have taken that.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Supercell wrote: »
    Harps are you in Galway or Donegal?, I must admit to being confused by the location under your name and the updates about Donegal ?

In Donegal for the past week, guess I'll change my location to make things easier

Stunning model runs again this morning, could be a record breaker of a month if that ECMWF run is accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The past week...

Everywhere bone dry apart from some light precip on north and western coasts.

agri_rainfall.gif

Sunshine over 200% above normal everywhere.

agri_percentSunshine.gif

Poorly drained soil in the southeast now requiring over 70mm of rain, with no rain and only warmer conditions forecast for the coming week.

smd_pd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Just noticed yesterday was the first time since July 4th that no Dublin station exceeded 20 degrees. If I was told at the start of the summer that we would have 11 days in a row of above 20 degrees in Dublin I would have taken that.:)

Was 21.8C here yesterday in the sun. Anywhere south of Cabinteely would have easily broken 20C as that seemed to be the approximate start of the sun (I was driving all over during the day).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Was 21.8C here yesterday in the sun. Anywhere south of Cabinteely would have easily broken 20C as that seemed to be the approximate start of the sun (I was driving all over during the day).
    Yeah, drove up from Wexford at 7am yesterday - the sun seemed to disappear as I hit the M50!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I wouldn't doubt you for a second I was just going by the official ME stats definitely felt warmer than 19 at 6pm yesterday in north Dublin.

• Advertisement

24.5 here in Waterford now. Feeling quite warm with a couple of cooler breaks under the passing cloud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

agri_percentSunshine.gif

Do we record sunshine in only four locations :confused:

Absolutely, hit 21 here at 5.30 and was above 20 for several hours and I'm further north and higher up than Cabinteely.

Got to 22.5 here just now, but cloudy again and has eased back to 22C.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Quickelles wrote: »

And all in the southern half of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Absolutely, hit 21 here at 5.30 and was above 20 for several hours and I'm further north and higher up than Cabinteely.

Got to 22.5 here just now, but cloudy again and has eased back to 22C.

The sun only came out about 5.30pm or later yesterday in Dublin from what I observed. Felt really balmy right up to 10pm then with some late sun heat coming through.

Today is a mixed bag so far in Dublin. Sunnier around 11am, a cloudier lunchtime and now getting sunnier again. If it the sun penetrates more widely, I wouldn't be surprised to see 24-25 in the greater Dublin area later this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Arklow-sunny
    currently 23c

light sea breeze

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

compsys wrote: »
    But at the same time the vast majority of the Irish people aren't involved in marine or aviation activity and don't live near Malin Head or Valentia for example....

I'd suggest the vast majority of people do not really need to know precisely the current (or past) weather conditions? Whereas having the current weather conditions for, say, an airport is vital (for safety, etc., etc.).
    ....the population needs to know what real temperatures are actually going to feel like.

Does the average Joe really care if it 24.9c with an RH of 65% or 26.5c with an RH of 50%? Probably not?

Also bear in mind that the weather station is not going to 'give' you the forecast (of what real temperatures are actually going to feel like...or anything else) and/or any forecast is not going to be specific to the vicinity of the weather station...ME issue a forecast for the Dublin Area (and not for a localised area around a particular weather station).

Limited resources and all that!

I do appreciate where you are coming from compsys! If I was in charge I'd cut child benefit and put an official weather station in every Dublin postal district!!! :p

Was sunny here but has now clouded over...hopefully temporarily. :) 23.7c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Here in Dun Laoghaire its what you could call a very benign day. Partly cloudy with haze, soft sunshine breaking through, 20C with 65% humidity and a light SE breeze. Ideal for a few days, but looking forward to beach weather again later in the week!

Knock Airport too (256% above average). Not sure why it's not on the map.

http://www.met.ie/latest/agricultural.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Knock Airport too (256% above average). Not sure why it's not on the map.

http://www.met.ie/latest/agricultural.asp

Thanks Maq for all your contributions in this exciting period of weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Some great Sea Temps at the moment. 18.5c at M5 buoy off Wexford Coast. would imagine it would be a quite a few degrees warmer in estuaries and sheltered bays.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Birtles wrote: »
    Some great Sea Temps at the moment. 18.5c at M5 buoy off Wexford Coast. would imagine it would be a quite a few degrees warmer in estuaries and sheltered bays.

I can testify very unscientifically that the water in the bay between Lambay Island and Irelands Eye at Donabate is very pleasant!

I'd suggest the vast majority of people do not really need to know precisely the current (or past) weather conditions? Whereas having the current weather conditions for, say, an airport is vital (for safety, etc., etc.).

Does the average Joe really care if it 24.9c with an RH of 65% or 26.5c with an RH of 50%? Probably not?

Also bear in mind that the weather station is not going to 'give' you the forecast (of what real temperatures are actually going to feel like...or anything else) and/or any forecast is not going to be specific to the vicinity of the weather station...ME issue a forecast for the Dublin Area (and not for a localised area around a particular weather station).

Limited resources and all that!

I do appreciate where you are coming from compsys! If I was in charge I'd cut child benefit and put an official weather station in every Dublin postal district!!! :p

Was sunny here but has now clouded over...hopefully temporarily. :) 23.7c atm.

I do accept your first point but not sure about the second point.

Research shows that oppressive night-time temps have a far worse effect on people than oppressive day-time temps. So when DA is saying it's a cool 7 or 8 degrees at night but it's a sticky 14 degrees in the city (has happened before) I do think that's an issue. I remember during the June warm spell a friend of mine (who has absolutely no interest in the weather) posted a picture on his Facebook from his iPhone early one morning showing Dublin at 4 degrees with the joke heading 'Dublin Freezes!?'.

But yes, there's resource issues and a station can't be placed everywhere. It's just unfortunate that the new station (because of its location) is sometimes very out of kilter with the rest of the county (even though I now accept it's giving accurate readings for the exact location it's in).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Birtles wrote: »

I can tell you that The Upper Lake in Glendalough was very comfortable for swimming in last Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The past week...

Everywhere bone dry apart from some light precip on north and western coasts.

agri_rainfall.gif

agri_percentSunshine.gif

Poorly drained soil in the southeast now requiring over 70mm of rain, with no rain and only warmer conditions forecast for the coming week.

smd_pd.gif

Drought conditions in the south east. It was on the farming independent today, that wells are going dry in the south east, grass growth has come to a standstill and a second fodder crisis could be underway.

I wish the high would go further north to the point we get a little bit more instability with thunderstorms.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Research shows that oppressive night-time temps have a far worse effect on people than oppressive day-time temps. So when DA is saying it's a cool 7 or 8 degrees at night but it's a sticky 14 degrees in the city (has happened before) I do think that's an issue.

Agreed...but...that's at the time of the 'event' or after the 'event'.

Temps may well have dipped to, say, 7c or 8c at DA on a given night, but you would probably find that ME, the day before, may have forecast minimium temps of, say, 12c for that night (all hypothetical of course).

What I am trying to say is that ME are not and do not forecast temps for the greater Dublin area on what temps might be expected at DA...if you know what I mean?

I think the main or part of the crux of your issue is the fact that when you look at the ME website and see 'Dublin' on the strap bar/top of the page it reports current conditions from DA. I would agree that this is a bot misleading and ME should probably use Phoenix Park for this data.

ongarboy wrote: »
    The sun only came out about 5.30pm or later yesterday in Dublin from what I observed. Felt really balmy right up to 10pm then with some late sun heat coming through.

I think a point being made is that the "official" stations do not represent a county - even if they are not in an "unrepresentative" place like some headlands and airports.

For example from my vantage point in suburban built-up foothills I could say

"the sun came and skies cleared about 2pm yesterday in Dublin with temperatures rising to 21c at 5pm. It stayed clear for the rest of the day and by 10pm there was a noticeable cooling off.

We have had no "sticky" nights at all in Dublin. "

Today Dublin has had long cloudy periods interspersed with several good clear periods and the temperature peaked at 23.2C at 4pm.

It's now 21.7 in Dublin ;)

Early next week looking very warm and thundery on the 12Z GFS.

It's FI, but just an example...

(these temps can be higher by a couple of degrees in reality)
    ukmaxtemp.png
    ukcapeli.png
    ukprec.png

I think the main or part of the crux of your issue is the fact that when you look at the ME website and see 'Dublin' on the strap bar/top of the page it reports current conditions from DA. I would agree that this is a bot misleading and ME should probably use Phoenix Park for this data.

Yes, that's right. Would be great if more weather apps and sites used PP too (in my opinion, others may disagree).

Over on the DA micro climate thread FWVT was saying this is the fault of the weather sites themselves and not Met E. But I don't think Met E currently provide enough data for this to even happen. For example, the latest reports page doesn't yet give weather conditions for PP (as well as a few other stations).

• Advertisement

Tonights ECM ends with...

ECM1-240.GIF
    ECM0-240.GIF

0096_tmax.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement