Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Tonights ECM ends with...

ECM1-240.GIF
    ECM0-240.GIF

tumblr_m74nez3s3T1rv8jpzo1_r1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

tomorrow is looking like another typical Irish cloudy let down, that mass of cloud in the Atlantic is heading right for us. It looks like we'll have to wait for the high to drift north later in the week.
    http://www.sat24.com/de/eu
    if the sun can't burn that cloud yesterday and today its unlikely to do so tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Being honest I dont like that Atlantic Low trespassing on our Azores! Even though the Models are showing it wont really have any effect on our heat... i just dont trust any Atlantic Low! But all in all another stunning run on models, getting used to this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

tomorrow is looking like another typical Irish cloudy let down, that mass of cloud in the Atlantic is heading right for us. It looks like we'll have to wait for the high to drift north later in the week.
    http://www.sat24.com/de/eu
    if the sun can't burn that cloud yesterday and today its unlikely to do so tomorrow.

The cloud today was due to southwesterly winds carrying moisture from the warmed Atlantic waters, there will be some cloud around tomorrow but not as much as today as the high will be building over us by then.

As for yesterday, there was 8.9 hours of sunshine recorded at Cork Airport. Today it got up to 24.5 degrees down here in Waterford and there was some glorious extended sunshine between the clouds earlier. It might have been cloudy in Dublin all day yesterday and today, but that doesn't mean it was a day typical everywhere. ;)

Also, these days (Mon-Wed) have been seen ahead for several days now on the models as a "cool down" of sorts as we transition from one period of hot weather to another, so there should be nothing surprising about some cloud and cooler temps. You just don't get endless days of heat and blue skies in Ireland, it has to transition from one phase to another.

Up to 24-25 again tomorrow in the southern areas. And then upwards after that...happy days.
    pad199207 wrote: »
    Being honest I dont like that Atlantic Low trespassing on our Azores! Even though the Models are showing it wont really have any effect on our heat... i just dont trust any Atlantic Low! But all in all another stunning run on models, getting used to this now!

I disagree. That low is important, it helps direct that hot plume of continental air northward in our direction so could have a big impact in terms of our heat and type of weather. Big difference between a flow from the east and a flow from the south. It's too far off to know for certain what will happen though.

^ it was predominately cloudy throughout the country today, I had some sunny spells but I would still consider it a cloudy day (if that makes sense)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Real Spanish Plume potential in that ECMWF run, heat for the foreseeable future and a chance of some spectacular thunderstorms. Happy days!

Nice enough day here today, the wind finally shifted from a NW'erly so that annoying cool breeze is gone, plenty of sunshine in the morning & early afternoon before it clouded over again.
    ^ it was predominately cloudy throughout the country today, I had some sunny spells but I would still consider it a cloudy day (if that makes sense)

It was dry with temps in the 20's nationwide so I don't see any reason to call it a let down, it was cloudy pretty much everywhere but then you can't expect wall to wall sunshine every single day in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

pad199207 wrote: »

If you're referring to the ECM: it's a shallow area of low pressure, perfect for generating showers and an unstable atmosphere; so if it went near a sun-baked Ireland, sparks would fly - continental-style thunderstorms.

I agree, cloudy in most places alright, but not a let down since it was never expected to be a totally clear day (or tomorrow) and a week ago the models were showing a breakdown happening around now instead of a transition to another hot spell. It's a far cry from the miserable, wet cool summers that feel much more typical to me over the last 8 years or so.

We might be longing for some cloud in a few days anyway.... ;)

Harps wrote: »

It was dry with temps in the 20's nationwide so I don't see any reason to call it a let down, it was cloudy pretty much everywhere but then you can't expect wall to wall sunshine every single day in this country
    believe me I don't! When you see a chart like this after waiting years for an Azores high in summer I was hoping for better - thats all.
    You would expect the cloudy weather to be well to the north of the country looking at that chart, eastern areas usually do very well in situations like this.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax0s.gif?16-12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another nice day in Castlebar with cloudy periods and sunny spells.....good summer weather!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I would consider today pretty decent in Dublin anyway to be honest. 22 degrees and partly cloudy with occasional sunshine. Not to be sniffed at, would take that most summers. Nearly two weeks of no rain now, impressive

I know it's only FI but, a closer look at he 12Z ECM 850 temps on day 10 :

qTyM4Yc.jpg

16 almost everywhere with 17 just off the coast and 20 pushing up from France...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I know it's only FI but, a closer look at he 12Z ECM 850 temps on day 10 :

qTyM4Yc.jpg

16 almost everywhere with 17 just off the coast and 20 pushing up from France...

Is that good? Please excuse almost complete lack of understanding and/or knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

My weather app saying 21℃ in youghal right now. Having my doubts believing that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    My weather app saying 21℃ in youghal right now. Having my doubts believing that

No I'd say it's not far off, my weather station is reading just below 19c in Kildare. Beats last years storms in Youghal anyway, I'll never forget those few days.

Is that good? Please excuse almost complete lack of understanding and/or knowledge.

It's good if you're looking for high temperatures, it's the temperature at 850mb (or 5,000ft up). It shows the temperature of the airmass. You want a warm airmass if you're looking for heat at the surface. Can also be an important ingredient in thundery outbreaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

normally i like to shout when the upper 850's get to -8 but +20. holy god:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

It's good if you're looking for high temperatures, it's the temperature at 850mb (or 5,000ft up). It shows the temperature of the airmass. You want a warm airmass if you're looking for heat at the surface. Can also be an important ingredient in thundery outbreaks.

Oh yes. That's what I'm looking for in my summer weather! Don't mind a thundery interlude or two.

Like many people, I been waiting for this for a fcuking long ass time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

aboyro wrote: »
    normally i like to shout when the upper 850's get to -8 but +20. holy god:D

Did someone say -8 uppers?

Did someone say -8 uppers?

When -12's got mentioned from late Jan through to late March we were hopping around the place in anticipation of snow, weather extremists on both ends of the scale I'd say, I'll take +20's now and -16's in Dec thru to Feb. :D

• Advertisement

Deank wrote: »
    When -12's got mentioned from late Jan through to late March we were hopping around the place in anticipation of snow, weather extremists on both ends of the scale I'd say, I'll take +20's now and -16's in Dec thru to Feb. :D

You might be waitin a while for +20 uppers in Ireland! I'm not sure thats ever happened in recorded history here, but maybe someone can find an example from the archives. :pac:

The uppers were around 20-22 that crept into England in August 2003 that set the all time record high temperature in the UK of 38.5 in Kent.

You might be waitin a while for +20 uppers in Ireland! I'm not sure thats ever happened in recorded history here, but maybe someone can find an example from the archives. :pac:

The uppers were around 20-22 that crept into England in August 2003 that set the all time record high temperature in the UK of 38.5 in Kent.

What's the highest uppers you can recall Maq, what are we at the moment +14 to 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Could near a July record currently 32.3c at some point in the next 10 days.

What's the highest uppers you can recall Maq, what are we at the moment +14 to 16?

At the moment? About 10-11 tomorrow, rising slowly over the coming days.

I had a look back to 2006 19 July temps when 31-32 was recorded, the highest in Ireland since 1976.

Uppers of 16 just reaching the south coast at that time:

archives-2006-7-19-0-1.png

So what the ECM is showing on day 10 with 16 all over Ireland and 17 knocking on the door, it would be enough to break records - if all the other conditions were just right too....but it's 10 days away, FI...don't bet on it. ;)

At the moment? About 10-11 tomorrow, rising slowly over the coming days.

I had a look back to 2006 19 July temps when 31-32 was recorded, the highest in Ireland since 1976.

Uppers of 16 just reaching the south coast at that time:

archives-2006-7-19-0-1.png

So what the ECM is showing on day 10 with 16 all over Ireland and 17 knocking on the door, it would be enough to break records - if all the other conditions were just right too....but it's 10 days away, FI...don't bet on it. ;)

FI just sets us up to disappoint, heat in summer and snow in winter, not that this summer has disappointed in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

No I'd say it's not far off, my weather station is reading just below 19c in Kildare. Beats last years storms in Youghal anyway, I'll never forget those few days.

I know, I was down here for that. Amazing.

heres one from the archives, I remember the temperature reached 31c on five consecutive days in Kilkenny in July 1983.
    Rrea00219830713.gif

That looked like a real sorcher alright, alas I was too young to remember it.

Around 31 sounds right for that type of setup with +16 uppers over the whole country. A difference between that and what the 12Z ECM is showing for day 10 is the warmer (+20) airmass pushed further north closer to us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

It might have been cloudy in Dublin all day yesterday and today, but that doesn't mean it was a day typical everywhere. ;)

It most certainly was not; cloudless from 2pm to past midnight on Monday and long sunny spells leading to 23C+ Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Quickelles wrote: »
    It most certainly was not; cloudless from 2pm to past midnight and Monday and long sunny spells leading to 23C+ Tuesday.

It sounds like you were having a bit more luck with the clouds at your location than Elmer then. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement