Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Topped out today early afternoon at 24.6 in cloudy conditions, sunny since mid afternoon and a slight E breeze kicked in about 5.30 sending temperatures plummeting to a current 20.1C.

Totally clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking hot hot hot. And the sea breeze for the east will be feeling progressively warmer as the sea temperature increases. Instead of the brisk east wind bringing temperatures down to 18 or 19c by the coast expect something more like 21 or 22c.

Looking hot hot hot. And the sea breeze for the east will be feeling progressively warmer as the sea temperature increases. Instead of the brisk east wind bringing temperatures down to 18 or 19c by the coast expect something more like 21 or 22c.

Fifteen days since the temp failed to exceed 20C despite the easterlies - we could be heading for a record if I had any idea what the record is!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sea temperature at the M5 buoy reached 20 degrees today at 7pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Accuweather and the Beeb both seem to be forecasting a slightly more unsettled hot spell in Ireland this time. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I'm unsure where all this talk of drought is coming from.
    The models are now showing quite a lot of rainfall for next week in the form of thundery showers.
    It looks to me as if all parts will have seen rain by next Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Indeed, as the heat is predicted to stay some intense thunderstorms are likely so flooding rather than drought looks the menu

It depends on the amounts that fall, I think. Thundery showers do tend to be intense, but no especially long-lived so might not provide enough moisture, if I'm understanding it right?

In the 18Z GFS we somehow manage to maintain 850 temps of 10-12 until Monday 29th, so even though there would be a breakdown of sorts with showers and some rain starting a few days before that, it would still continue to be warm.

This is silly deep in FI, low res and will change on the next run, but interesting to see hints at a breakdown in terms of temperature pushed back again ....maybe? Up to 25 degrees at 6pm on the 28th shown here. Not exactly 'cool'.

ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Is there any explanation as to why it seems to suddenly get warmer at about 11pm the last few nights. I was putting it down to hot flushes but the kids said the same thing when I asked them. We were sitting here all evening warm but not roasting and all of a sudden we're all beginning to bead sweat on our foreheads and feeling unpleasantly warm while outside it is quite cool. I'm beginning to think the ghostly presences are making themselves known with a rush of tropical air instead of a cold chill. I just want to be able to sleep properly tonight. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Is there any explanation as to why it seems to suddenly get warmer at about 11pm the last few nights. I was putting it down to hot flushes but the kids said the same thing when I asked them. We were sitting here all evening warm but not roasting and all of a sudden we're all beginning to bead sweat on our foreheads and feeling unpleasantly warm while outside it is quite cool. I'm beginning to think the ghostly presences are making themselves known with a rush of tropical air instead of a cold chill. I just want to be able to sleep properly tonight. :(

Are the bedrooms upstairs? Heat rises and my upstairs is like a sauna every night. Have had to start sleeping downstairs at times.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Heat rises and my upstairs is like a sauna every night.

Indeed, and if you open all the upstairs windows it goes right out!

14.5C here, no sweat ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

No, we are all downstairs. Upstairs is a no go zone at the moment with the heat. During the winter I worry will the kids will become hypothermic and die in their sleep. With the heat at the moment it would be like leaving them in a locked car. Can't win really.

No, we are all downstairs. Upstairs is a no go zone at the moment with the heat. During the winter I worry will the kids will become hypothermic and die in their sleep. With the heat at the moment it would be like leaving them in a locked car. Can't win really.

I guess you worry too much!

13.9c; rh 91%...no sweat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

can you guys predict if this would generate tornadoes?or have i been watching too much nat geo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

can you guys predict if this would generate tornadoes?or have i been watching too much nat geo?

You need a "cold and dry air vs. warm and humid air" battle for that sort of thing. Don't think there's any cold and dry air nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

and we dont have any feature like the rockys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

and we dont have any feature like the rockys?

Tornadoes occur on every continent except Antarctica, the Rocky Mountains aren't on every continent. The Rockies are the reason why America has seasonal tornadoes, they guide the humid air into the jet stream that brings cold down from the Arctic regions.

Like I said, you need cold air to push against humid air and we don't have any cold air, it's too far north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

The British are forecasting highest temps for NI of 26c for the coming days/weekend. Irish met FC higher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Stunning morning in north Dublin only blot on skyline is smoke from an overnight fire on howth head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

While there may be thunder showers next week that won't signal the end of drought. The drought will most likely only break (in general) when Atlantic weather systems return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

I know its in FI but what about the august bank hol weekend? Any charts yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

joe316 wrote: »
    I know its in FI but what about the august bank hol weekend? Any charts yet?

way way out in fantasy island but there might be a wee low pressure system hovering around from wednesday 31st to saturday 3nd according to the GFS

probably not worth worrying about yet though ;)

gfs-0-384.png?0?0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its all over soon. The pressure charts show less cohesion and more randomness.

Down to 12 degrees last night. 20.5 now. Cloudless.

What's all this talk of thunder and low pressure?

This weather will last until the 9th of September.

Quickelles wrote: »
    Down to 12 degrees last night. 20.5 now. Cloudless.

What's all this talk of thunder and low pressure?

This weather will last until the 9th of September.

It looks increasingly thundery from the weekend onwards.

As for 9th of September?.... Huh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Cloudy here in Limerick

It looks increasingly thundery from the weekend onwards.

As for 9th of September?.... Huh?

I do not believe it because I do not want to believe it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

There is a fantastic weekend ahead of us...

Followed by potentially the best conditions for thunderstorms in many moons...

Considering that 'thunderstorm' is likely the most favoured weather type after snow among most weather heads, why the note of gloom I detect here?

This has been a brilliant summer,

A vintage July.

who knows what we will get next? An unsettled August? I don't see much to suggest a washout pending..and there are weeks of potential warm and then indian summer weather ahead before eyes turn to dropping upper temperatures over Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It felt hotter in my area of Dublin at 7 this morning than it had for the last few days

It felt hotter in my area of Dublin at 7 this morning than it had for the last few days

23 at the Phoenix Park at 10am. Going to be a warm one this afternoon.

24 down here in Waterford already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Thundery showers look like kicking off from tomorrow afternoon onwards. Met Eireann don't seem to mention this risk until early next week ?!

In general a thundery outlook next week and as I said yesterday forget talk of drought as flooding will be the talking point in a weeks' time if not sooner.

Of course throughout remaining pleasantly warm or hot in between the showers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement