Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Strong sea breeze in Arklow but a very pleasant one.
    Despite that,currently 22.1c at 1045am

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wish the clouds would go away. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Going to be a warm one this afternoon.

24 down here in Waterford already

Yes Maq the wind changed from NW to E at around 9.30am and since then the temp has soared to a current 24.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I wish the clouds would go away. :(

They are, look at the animation.

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is anyone finding that the humidity is no longer such a killer or I am just getting used to it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

mike65 wrote: »
    Is anyone finding that the humidity is no longer such a killer or I am just getting used to it?

Dry easterly airflow = low humidity. 22*C at Casement and the humidity is 66%, one of the warmest parts of the country, too.

I reckon that cold front on the 6th of July caused the high humidity the last time round. The air was dry before that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Internet down a lot so few updates from me

Sligo got 25c again yesterday

A few showers are likely to break out Saturday onwards here

Next week very warm with a return to normal weather at the 26th July

Then not a whole pile prob cloudy cool days with an odd warm one

I'd say august will be mixed but the 11th to the 20th will be pleasant

Just predictions n my weather opinion so don't slate me

Lastly 30c will surely be broken in next few days but mtc prob has said this but my internet too slow to even look there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 06z is churning out and it's becoming clear now that next week is looking quite unsettled at times. Remaining warm but definatly a breakdown of the dry settled weather. Difficult to know how much sunshine we can enjoy but in general it will be a lot cloudier at times. Welcome rainfall for the farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It hasn't been particularly humid. If you notice today's highest temps so far, they are where the air is clearer (in sunshine obviously) and our air has originated from a drier continental source so humidities are 60% or less. A 24C temp with a 55% humidity is still a real feel (heat index) of 24C. If it climbed to 28C with 75% then it would 'feel' like 31.

This is why I think people will be getting very uncomfortable from Sunday onwards, a very high heat index for Ireland is likely.

06Z GFS goes for a breakdown around the 26th/27th. Only a few days ago we were looking at a breakdown on the models around the 23rd/24th - now those days look like being very warm instead...

There are changes on the GFS as early as 72 hours with the position and strength of that low in the Atlantic that will have an impact on what happens with our weather next week. So not much point looking at the details of a breakdown outside of high resolution.

• Advertisement

06Z GFS goes for a breakdown around the 26th/27th. Only a few days ago we were looking at a breakdown on the models around the 23rd/24th -

It depends what you term breakdown Maq.
    Thundery showers are evident from early next week and we are in a col situation with the high pressure having moved off to our Northeast. So remaining warm or very warm but far from glorious sunshine and indeed under these 'col' type setups far from certain what sunshine will be on offer.
    Warm yes, sunshine amounts unclear (pardon the pun):D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So moderate low pressure from a continental source and still hot, that will be an very unusual combo for Ireland

"The weather in the jungle is hot and shi77y, with a pi55y weather front. In a word its HOT"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Well we all knew this weather was never going to last all summer. We've already had almost three glorious weeks of weather in July as well as a glorious week in June. Plus, as long as it's not wet AND cold I don't mind. As long as there's either nice sunshine or at least some heat we can't complain too much.

It depends what you term breakdown Maq.
    Thundery showers are evident from early next week and we are in a col situation with the high pressure having moved off to our Northeast. So remaining warm or very warm but far from glorious sunshine and indeed under these 'col' type setups far from certain what sunshine will be on offer.
    Warm yes, sunshine amounts unclear (pardon the pun):D

Breakdown in terms of temperature.

The prospect of thundery outbreaks only makes it sweeter for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Has turned dull and cloudy once again in South Kildare. Very disappointing for high pressure conditions. Clouds forming in the East breeze rolling in off the Wiclows, not much cloud over Wicklow by the looks of satellites, just forming in time to possibly ruin the day for me if they keep forming!

Praise the Lord the high moving further North tomorrow means a clear day.

Edit; cloud bubbling to my East looks to have ceased, should get a sunny day from now :D

26.5 here in Waterford at 1pm, could go a little higher since it's early enough yet.

Warmest it's been for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

27c @ Castlederg 14.00

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

27.8 On the Port of Waterfords Weather Station @ 1456 today

http://www.portofwaterford.com/weather/Current_Monitor.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't feel the heat any more. Which means I'm going to get a nasty shock when this all ends. :(

Jambo wrote: »
    27.8 On the Port of Waterfords Weather Station @ 1456 today

http://www.portofwaterford.com/weather/Current_Monitor.htm

I see it recorded a high of 28.0°C at 14:18.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I don't feel the heat any more. Which means I'm going to get a nasty shock when this all ends. :(

Funny today's the first day I've really felt it in almost a week. Sun is fierce in Dublin City Centre at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ugh getting on a Citylink to Cork now...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

26.5 here in Waterford at 1pm, could go a little higher since it's early enough yet.

Warmest it's been for a few days.

Just tied a year high and station record 27.7c

Just tied a year high and station record 27.7c

You can really feel it walkin through town in the sheltered areas.

I think you'll break that high tomorrow by about a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

28 at Oak Park at 4pm.

Something to keep in mind when looking at GFS charts like this showing nowhere higher than 26 today and 24 in the Oak Park area. The charts are good as a rough guide, but temps can be higher in reality due to the limitations of it being a global model.

ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just back from bray beach , been down there most days and today has been by far the hottest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

28 at Oak Park at 4pm.

Something to keep in mind when looking at GFS charts like this showing nowhere higher than 26 today and 24 in the Oak Park area. The charts are good as a rough guide, but temps can be higher in reality due to the limitations of it being a global model.

ukmaxtemp.png

Yep, the temp charts really overplay the east wind cooling effect. Really unless your very close to the coast, expect to be several degrees higher than predicted.

I have to disagree and think the gfs temp charts are very close always to what occurs. Today is an example of that, though I would say the midland temps usually do a degree or 2 better than projected

• Advertisement

I have to disagree and think the gfs temp charts are very close always to what occurs. Today is an example of that, though I would say the midland temps usually do a degree or 2 better than projected

How is today an example of it being "very close always" when it shows Waterford almost 4 degrees below what was actually recorded here? :confused:

As I said, useful as a rough guide, but I think today is a better example of how it can be not very close for some areas, due to it having to average out temperatures over 28km wide grid points...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement