Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

The Fog has rolled in here in Castlebar turning day into night very quickly!

Warn the folks over at Spivey Point!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

22 degrees at Shannon at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

And if feels it too, very balmy tonight

0Z ECM keeps things warm up until well out in FI.

A very warm and at times probably very thundery run, up to Sunday 28th:
    Recm2162.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Evelyn giving Ken Ring's rep the biggest serve you ever heard on Ray D'Arcy!!!!!! Back in your box Kiwi boy.......

LOVE THAT WOMAN! :-D:-D:-D:-D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Low 14.8, pleasant night.

Clear sunny and 20C right now, calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For today, the magical 30C should hopefully be breached in some part of Ireland. Much clearer skies today also which will help rocket those temps.

And above is evident already with Belmullet at 24C for 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I just feel today is the day we finally break 30C. Are any of the bookies offering odds on weather temps this summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Evelyn giving Ken Ring's rep the biggest serve you ever heard on Ray D'Arcy!!!!!! Back in your box Kiwi boy.......

LOVE THAT WOMAN! :-D:-D:-D:-D

She did the same in another radio interview last year. Takes a lot to rile ole Evelyn I'd say, but his name does the trick, she virtually hissed her replies. Good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

recyclebin wrote: »
    I just feel today is the day we finally break 30C. Are any of the bookies offering odds on weather temps this summer?

Record is 32.5 in the modern era at Boora - is there any weather station left there anymore? I 'd guess not. 33.3 at Killkenny Castle 1887 - how accurate was that measurement? It is the official record so they must be happy it met the criteria.

• Advertisement

The 06z run really beefs up the midweek low pressure system.
    If that were to come to pass our fine spell has about 4 days left before it gets very unsettled.
    Best to be ignored though until we see the 12's

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Record is 32.5 in the modern era at Boora - is there any weather station left there anymore? I 'd guess not. 33.3 at Killkenny Castle 1887 - how accurate was that measurement? It is the official record so they must be happy it met the criteria.

Probably fairly accurate giving the topography of Kilkenny. The centre of the county is surrounded by hills rising over 1,000ft. So it has natural advantages to getting high and low temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She did the same in another radio interview last year. Takes a lot to rile ole Evelyn I'd say, but his name does the trick, she virtually hissed her replies. Good one!

Never heard anyone so utterly dismissed..

Evelyn: "Ah you didn't have him on again did you?" Ray:"Well the broadcasters have airtime to fill and the papers have column inches to fill..." Evelyn: " You do know he uses astrology?"

Ray: "He forecast this summer weather didnt he?" Evelyn: "He's forecast the same weather each summer for the last many years, he was bound to be right eventually"

Evelyn "Please ask your listeners not to waste their money buying his forecasts"

What kind of equipment would they have used back in 1887 and what kind of margins for error would they have back then compared to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

What kind of equipment would they have used back in 1887 and what kind of margins for error would they have back then compared to now?

They had to wear a top hat, heat was measured in sweat from a street urchin per hour

t|nt|n wrote: »
    They had to wear a top hat, heat was measured in sweat from a street urchin per hour

I was being serious when I asked the question. I was trying to find out what equipment they used back then. According to the met website they now use platinum resistance thermometers but they don't say what they used in 1887. It was hardly a mercury thermometer was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I was being serious when I asked the question. I was trying to find out what equipment they used back then. According to the met website they now use platinum resistance thermometers but they don't say what they used in 1887. It was hardly a mercury thermometer was it?

Ha I know, was only messin !

Take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_temperature_and_pressure_measurement_technology

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Already 24 or 25 degrees in many locations at 11am on ME's latest reports. I can see 30 being surpassed today! Every station now in the 20s except.....you guessed it... Malin Head at a miserable 13 degrees!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

ongarboy wrote: »
    Already 24 or 25 degrees in many locations at 11am on ME's latest reports. I can see 30 being surpassed today! Every station now in the 20s except.....you guessed it... Malin Head at a miserable 13 degrees!

I'm going to go with 29.5 again there seems to be some sort of force field preventing temps hitting 30;) Malin head just seems to be having its normal summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

surely if the hottest temp recorded in IRE is in Kilkenny, it could be assumed it would be the best place to record the hottest temp??

how far is Oakpark station from Kilkenny location?

is there any station in Kilkenny recording Temps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There's still an official climatological one there run by someone on IWN, 26.2C at the moment

www.kilkennyweather.com

Sea fog has finally cleared away here, still no such luck at Malin though I see!

Every station (bar Malin!) over 22c @ 12pm. many of these are over 25c and Oak Park @ 27c. looks good for a 30c today.

27 at Oak Park at 12pm.

30 looks possible today.

27 now at Carlow.
    30C seems a cert for somewhere today.
    In fact I'll stick my neck out here and say some station will get up to 32C with an outside small chance of the all time record being hit!!

nice site with plenty of detail!

www.kilkennyweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I'm going to go with 29.5 again there seems to be some sort of force field preventing temps hitting 30;) Malin head just seems to be having its normal summer.

Me too, it won't hit 30 anywhere today. I'm putting my neck on the line saying that. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Birtles wrote: »
    surely if the hottest temp recorded in IRE is in Kilkenny, it could be assumed it would be the best place to record the hottest temp??

how far is Oakpark station from Kilkenny location?

is there any station in Kilkenny recording Temps?

The hotspot on any given day isn't going to be the same place every time!

I don't think the uppers are warm enough to support anything more than 30 today (at official stations). We could have warmer uppers in a few days but that might be offset by more cloud.

Evelyn said Oak Park is at 28 now and likely to hit 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Passed 28c here just before 1pm. The temperatures are almost 1c warmer at this time when compared to the two previous warmest days... Friday 12th and Monday 8th July.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement