Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Will be interesting to see what they say about next week on the forecast after the news. I can't remember if they update the output with the 12Z ECM for the weather after the 9pm news. I think they do?

Edit : Well she did talk about more uncertainty for next week this time, but those figures at the end are unchanged from the 0Z ECM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Will be interesting to see what they say about next week on the forecast after the news. I can't remember if they update the output with the 12Z ECM for the weather after the 9pm news. I think they do?

Siobhan not as bullish about next week compared to her earlier forecast. She must have seen the ECM 12Z. We just have to make the most of the next few days and hope the breakdown has plenty of thundery action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Still had sun and 28 degrees out to Wednesday which is as far as their charts went at the end. Thunder and showers look likely next week but I wonder will they affect only certain areas. Could yet be a dry warm week for some. Enjoy the weekend for now

Siobhan not as bullish about next week compared to her earlier forecast. She must have seen the ECM 12Z. We just have to make the most of the next few days and hope the breakdown has plenty of thundery action.

Exactly. It was never going to last forever, a summer like this only comes along once or twice a decade so make the most of it is right! We might even get a reload sometime after the breakdown if we are lucky too.

Still had sun and 28 degrees out to Wednesday which is as far as their charts went at the end. Thunder and showers look likely next week but I wonder will they affect only certain areas. Could yet be a dry warm week for some. Enjoy the weekend for now

That was old data I'm afraid. Here are the temperatures for Wednesday from the latest ECM. Just in the teens almost everywhere with a few spots hitting 20 or 21 maximum. A big change.

TEhzBuB.jpg

And here it the previous run of the model for Wednesday showing 24-28 almost everywhere and a few places 28+.

CKHOS2w.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

That was old data I'm afraid. Here are the temperatures for Wednesday from the latest ECM. Just in the teens almost everywhere with a few spots hitting 20 or 21 maximum. A big change.

TEhzBuB.jpg

And here it the previous run of the model for Wednesday showing 24-28 almost everywhere and a few places 28+.

CKHOS2w.jpg

Fair enough but these models change constantly it seems. Who is to say they won't change again over the coming days. I guess we will find out soon

22 at Mace Head @ 11pm.

I wonder when the last time a headland on the West coast recorded 22 degrees at 11 o'clock at night. That's somethin else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I've definitely acclimatised to this weather, felt cold this evening even though the temperature was still over 20*C. Humidity definitely isn't an issue anymore, though, it'll probably be back on Monday with the thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Light shower here a few minutes ago. Almost wish it rained a bit more as the heat is starting to feel quite oppressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I've definitely acclimatised to this weather, felt cold this evening even though the temperature was still over 20*C. Humidity definitely isn't an issue anymore, though, it'll probably be back on Monday with the thunderstorms.

I found today very clammy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I found today very clammy.

As long as the forecast has e or se wind wer ok once nw that's it and 28 July nw so maybe a cooldown but mid august will be warm for a while so overall a very satisfactory summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Well here in Arklow,its 21c at 1215am.
    Never ever seen that before! Or near it at this coastal rural location,nor anything near it.
    Completely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

oh i would like to find a fan now. but there all sold out apparently. :( this heat is getting to me so much so. i can't spell apparently properly. grrrr

19C in cork at 20 past 12.

20 degrees @ Belmullet at midnight. Has to be a long time since that last happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhhh sure at least when i'm in spain next month the high temps at night won't be much of a culture shock :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

23 degrees at newport co mayo at 12 midnight. Thats a good summers day usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

21 degrees at Newport @ 0100....is it any wonder its hard to sleep!! A summer to remember....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So MT is backing a gradual but definite breakdown with cooling and appreciable rain from Day 3 on to Day 8. Met E still hedging beyond Wednesday. Either way it seems quite certain we'll have some entertaining thundery episodes in the early midweek. Probably more normal temps and standard rain or showers by the following weekend

It had to happen sometime, enjoy the last few settled days folks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Can't wait dor the thunderstoms and rain, glorious rain, warm rain...

Happy for the warm to hot weather to remain but with thunderstorms, already 23.8C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Looking more than likely the reset button will be hit for Irish weather from Tuesday onwards and maybe after some showery thundery weather back to the Atlantic dominated weather we are used to. Actually feel for the kids in the UK as they are just getting there holidays in August and will be seeing the back end of the great weather we have all enjoyed.

I am already starting to get intrested in winter snow potential already :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I want the rain!
    we want the rain!

Place is very dusty....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

mike65 wrote: »
    I want the rain!
    we want the rain!

Place is very dusty....

For Gods sake !!!!

We haven't had a Summer like this in nearly 20 years. Enjoy the flippin' thing.

Was up early this morning (06.00). Light breeze that made the trees rustle. Overcast but lovely for a stroll on the beach.

Had breakfast in the garden while the kids were still in bed. Read the paper with a lovely cup of tea. Birds were chirping their morning call. Absolute bliss.

Sun starting to come through now. Currently 22° in Nth County Dublin. Fabulous day ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'll be sorry when your water is turned off! (its been dry 2013 in the south east)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Some discussion this morning suggesting the cooler Atlantic flow is perhaps not coming at us as quickly as had been talked about all week, so yes warm thundery showers next week but I haven't completely given up on heat after next weekend. Runs away to clutch that straw!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Some discussion this morning suggesting the cooler Atlantic flow is perhaps not coming at us as quickly as had been talked about all week, so yes warm thundery showers next week but I haven't completely given up on heat after next weekend. Runs away to clutch that straw!!!!

Sure its still only half way through the summer and I always preferred Indian Summers in Sept/Oct over mid summer scorchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Sure its still only half way through the summer and I always preferred Indian Summers in Sept/Oct over mid summer scorchers!

Especially when the kids have gone back to school and the rest of the mornings in the garden are completely uninterrupted.

5 whole hours enjoying the weather without the spongers kids is the equivalent of the Lotto for me

Belmullet of all places is the warmest in the country right now. 25 degrees at 10am. Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Even accounting for the warm spell it feels unusually warm this morning. Surely going to hit 30 today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I see the papers are full of stories about water restrictions? Surely this cant be true already?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

snaps wrote: »
    I see the papers are full of stories about water restrictions? Surely this cant be true already?

Plenty of water restrictions have been imposed at council level at this stage.

Not all that surprising really, as we know rainfall is way below average at the moment and water demand has shot through the roof. We do not have the same reservoir storage capacity as other countries as we generally have a continuous supply of rainfall to rely upon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement