Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Word of advice. If you're lucky enough to work in a shop/office or any building which does have an air conditioning system installed. You'll find it's much more efficient if you, as much as possible, keep the door to outside closed. It's a temperature regulation system, so if you set it at, lets say 20C, letting 25C air in constantly isn't going to do the machine any favours. Believe me, there's isn't a more pleasant experience then to open a door and get that blast of coolness form an air conned room.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Plenty of water restrictions have been imposed at council level at this stage.

Not all that surprising really, as we know rainfall is way below average at the moment and water demand has shot through the roof. We do not have the same reservoir storage capacity as other countries as we generally have a continuous supply of rainfall to rely upon.
    How is a hosepipe ban enforced .....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Clear skies. Feeling fresher than of late mainly due to a breeze gusting to 30km/h. Temp 23c, Overnight Low a station record Highest Min of 17.3c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Clear and sunny here and 23.2C; 14.5C overnight and a good easterly breeze - very pleasant.

Two more months of this would be very welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z GFS has that low weaker and further south on Tuesday compared to the 0Z GFS.

Makes a big difference only 3 days away: +14 uppers instead of +8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Quickelles wrote: »
    Clear and sunny here and 23.2C; 14.5C overnight and a good easterly breeze - very pleasant.

Two more months of this would be very welcome. :)

Yeah, last night felt cold and nice. This weather is much more enjoyable when the humidity is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

mike65 wrote: »
    You'll be sorry when your water is turned off! (its been dry 2013 in the south east)

Exactly.

The south east is in a proper drought and rain is desperately needed.

Now I am out to turn off my water supply - a well so I will have water later on today...

Belmullet is 26 degrees at only 11am.

28.7 is the 1961-1990 high there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

06Z GFS has that low weaker and further south on Tuesday compared to the 0Z GFS.

Let's hope we do get a backtrack of some sorts back to warmer air so our breakdown midweek can be of a more exciting and more thundery kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Belmullet is 26 degrees at only 11am.

28.7 is the all time high there.
    Are you sure? I thought it got to 30 in 2006?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Typical Irish, when it rains non-stop we have moaners, when it splits the stones non-stop, we have moaners.

Not a sun worshipper, but I'm enjoying it while its here, cos it'll soon be gone.

whitebriar wrote: »
    Are you sure? I thought it got to 30 in 2006?

Ah yeah, I was looking at the 1961-1990 records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Hopefully we get some serious thunder and lightening for the coming week as i have the video camera all set up and ready to record some good forks. More preferably on the east coast would do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hazy sunshine, fair weather clouds and 27.6C in Galway city atm
    Light SE'ly breeze & RH 58%
    Looks like yesterday's station record of 30.1C will be under threat later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yeah, last night felt cold and nice. This weather is much more enjoyable when the humidity is low.

Last night was horrid here. Lowest it got here was 18.3. I barely slept a wink. You must be on the east coast??

Professor John Sweeney on Radio 1 now talking about the weather.

Edit : For about 2 minutes, he's gone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Last night was awful, barely slept and woke up in a puddle of sweat. Sooner this weather goes away, the happier I'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Talk dirty to me some more.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

snaps wrote: »
    Last night was horrid here. Lowest it got here was 18.3. I barely slept a wink. You must be on the east coast??

Yeah, I'm 20 km from the Irish sea. It was still 18*C at midnight, though, but it felt so nice compared to last week. I saw the radar yesterday, thunderstorm over Mayo/Galway has the caps broke. Obviously a lot of humidity building of over there.

I'd say the humidity will be widespread on Monday when this low pushes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

NIMAN wrote: »
    Typical Irish, when it rains non-stop we have moaners, when it splits the stones non-stop, we have moaners.

What an original post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If you are finding it too humid and hot at night, if you have a garden, bring out a foldy-up bed and a pillow and sleep there, I done this 4 times already and it's quite nice i have to say, better than suffering inside with the high humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Talk dirty to me some more.

:pac:

love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

zenno wrote: »
    If you are finding it too humid and hot at night, if you have a garden, bring out a foldy-up bed and a pillow and sleep there, I done this 4 times already and it's quite nice i have to say, better than suffering inside with the high humidity.

Yup ~ Meself and Himself moved out into a big roomy tent in the garden due to an excess of teenage visitors..Gave the house over to the young folk. OH MY GOD ~ it is lovely and cool sleeping in the the shade of the trees....Bliss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The lunchtime forecast was full of doom for sun (and esp heat) seekers. Looks like its all over from Tuesday/Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

mike65 wrote: »
    The lunchtime forecast was full of doom for sun (and esp heat) seekers. Looks like its all over from Tuesday/Wednesday

I don't know about that. Temperatures still look like they're going to range from around 18 to 22 Celcius for the next week. That's still a few degrees above average and it'll still feel pretty warm.

The East and South East look set to keep the warmer temperatures though and probably the drier conditions.

We may be reaching for the brollies for the first times in weeks but no one's going to be reaching for the winter coats just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

compsys wrote: »
    I don't know about that. Temperatures still look like they're going to range from around 18 to 22 Celcius for the next week. That's still a few degrees above average and it'll still feel pretty warm.

The East and South East look set to keep the warmer temperatures though and probably the drier conditions.

We may be reaching for the brollies for the first times in weeks but no one's going to be reaching for the winter coats just yet.

18-22? Them's fleece wearing temps after the past two weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I saw guys in football jerseys in Dundalk when it 5 degrees out last January!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Well the East has 'only' seen temps of around 25 Celcius or so over the past few weeks so 22 or 23 won't be that much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This is a tweet from Galway weather from 22 mins ago. What does the falling slowly part signify ?
    Galway Weather ‏@GalwayWeather
    Temperature 29.2C Rain today 0.0 mm. Humidity 44% Wind 9.0 mph SSE. Barometer 1020.66 hPa, Falling slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

This is a tweet from Galway weather from 22 mins ago. What does the falling slowly part signify ?

Its the pressure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement