Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Ken ring said there would be around the second half of August. He got the dates right for July

from the 8 and 9th of July he said there be a heatwave of 9 days. (brought us up to to (17th and 18th) Then another burst of heat between the 19th and 24th (he said it be more unsettled then after that) and it seems like its heading that way.

The August dates he said the 12th and 13th onwards. Only time will tell on that! Hes predictions from jan 2013

http://www.rosfm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Ken-Ring-Summer-Prediction.mp3

Blah, Ken Ring, as stated here before even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, Ken Ring is a con man, nothing in his predictions holds true, MT is the bible around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think the problem some had is they hadn't to work outside in the heat and full glare of the sun, remember it is the temperature in the shade that is measured.
    It has been a killer, will be happy to get things back to normal, and if cold out, then just do some exercise and work up a sweat :p

It did cool down on the 15th and it was lovely, won't miss oppressive heat.

Some will miss it but each to their own. I just want some thunderstorms and the source of life...some water to fall.
    I know one elderly person who went to the doctor as they were feeling ill, it was the effects of the heat.
    Sky news says 650 people have died in heat related deaths so far over there so far, 41% in the London area.

It will be nice to have temps just reaching the low 20s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Deank wrote: »
    Blah, Ken Ring, as stated here before even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, Ken Ring is a con man, nothing in his predictions holds true, MT is the bible around these parts.

Ignore what i said so. Maybe others are interested in the fact he predicted the July dates for the heatwave accurately:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Ignore what i said so. Maybe others are interested in the fact he predicted the July dates for the heatwave accurately:)

Link to the quote please, because his forecasts have been the same for the last 7 years.

Deank wrote: »
    Link to the quote please, because his forecasts have been the same for the last 7 years.

Radio link provided in the above post take the time to listen to:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

He also predicted heat waves for a few of our previous Summers and we haven't had a good Summer since 2006 before now. You can't predict the weather that far in advance.

He also predicted heat waves for a few of our previous Summers and we haven't had a good Summer since 2006 before now. You can't predict the weather that far in advance.

I could only find predictions from him for 2009 and 2011. 2009 He said summer would be a washout in July which was true.

2011 he predicted a summer, but we had Volcano events during the summer of 2011 in Iceland and Africa which undoubtedly effected the weather for the summer of 2011

If you can find more predictions from him for 2006 to 2008 do post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's a beautiful evening out there but it's sort of bittersweet knowing we're in the final phase of the heatwave. It was a fantastic couple of weeks down here in the southeast, no complaints at all, but like anything good...it's sad to see it go.

It's a shame that it seems it will be going out with a whimper instead of a bang too, as the models are showing the most of the energy for thunderstorms next week shifting eastwards to Wales and England, away from us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It's a beautiful evening out there but it's sort of bittersweet knowing we're in the final phase of the heatwave. It was a fantastic couple of weeks down here in the southeast, no complaints at all, but like anything good...it's sad to see it go.

It's a shame that it seems it will be going out with a whimper instead of a bang too, as the models are showing the most of the energy for thunderstorms next week shifting eastwards to Wales and England, away from us.

I was hoping to capture some thunderstorms, ah well i'll hold my breath just incase things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

zenno wrote: »
    I was hoping to capture some thunderstorms, ah well i'll hold my breath just incase things change.

Early days yet to rule out the odd bang or two...Fingers crossed for the pub run;)

• Advertisement

I could only find predictions from him for 2009 and 2011. 2009 He said would be a washout in July which was true.

2011 he predicted a summer, but we had Volcano events during the summer of 2011 in Iceland and Africa which undoubtedly effected the weather for the summer of 2011

If you can find more predictions from him for 2006 to 2008 do post.

He is selling on his website a spreadsheet that will tell you exactly what the weather will be like on any given day of the year up to 2019 (for a couple of hundreds bucks) which he worked out by looking at the Moon:
    DzEdb8h.jpg
    If he could do that then he should have been able to work out when a volcano would erupt by looking at Saturn or Mars or the bottom of a stone in a field, because both methods involve the same level of logic.

Not that it would have mattered, because the eruptions of Grimsvotn and Nabro certainly didn't have any major impact on the climate. The last eruption that had an impact on the climate was the massive Pinatubo eruption in 1991 (a VEI 6) which released the most SO2 since Krakatoa. Pinatubo resulted in a temperature drop of just half of 1 degree. Are you seriously trying to tell me that the much smaller eruptions of Nabro and Grimsvotn in 2011 had so much of an impact that it resulted in Ireland having it's coldest summer in 50 years? Because if that was the case the summer after Pinatubo erupted in 1991 should have been the coldest summer since the last Ice Age here.

But whats the point in arguing? How can someone believe in the science of SO2 from eruptions blocking solar radiation but also believe that a lad in New Zealand can look at the Moon and tell you what the weather will be like on the 23 of March 2018 in Ireland, for a fee of course (unless you get to hear it on the radio or in the tabloids promoting his subscription based website).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Agreed Maq, Its been an amazing spell. Today was our 14th day over 23c in a row of which 12 have been 25 or above. It could be a long while before we see stats like that again. It would have been great to end it on a high with some massive storms but i guess we can't have our cake and eat it too ;)
    A big thanks to you Maq for all your posts during the spell. They have been very informative and educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ForeverYoungx

is today the last day of high temps?

is today the last day of high temps?

The last day of high 20's yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

My old grandad, a gnarly farmer, always insisted, whatever July is like,August will be similar. Good test this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3841.png. Just backing up my last post... FI but lock and re load please....

This postman seems to have a gift... A gift we all had at one point in time i think.
    postman Michael Gallagher says that he learned to observe the outward appearances, moods or movements of the animals and countryside, which he claims provide indications of that kind weather to expect over the coming days and weeks. He has been particularity encouraged by recent signs of the sheep moving to the mountains.

He also claims that the ever-changing hues of the mountains against the horizon from day to day have also helped the people of Na Cruacha Gorma (The Croaghs) in Donegal to predict the weather.

He said: “All the signs are there that summer is far from over. Before weather forecasts, the old people used to rely on the natural signs around them to see what weather would come and decide what to do with the farm whether it was sowing crops or saving hay, traditionally a late spring with cold weather and in particular hailstones would mean a good summer was on the way.

Interesting feller indeed.

It looks like most of us have lost the natural feeling to do this, shame on us all.

Source: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sunshine-on-the-way-says-weather-predicting-postie-598042.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Are we definitely looking toward significant cooling down by Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ken ring said there would be around the second half of August. He got the dates right for July

from the 8 and 9th of July he said there be a heatwave of 9 days. (brought us up to to (17th and 18th) Then another burst of heat between the 19th and 24th (he said it be more unsettled then after that) and it seems like its heading that way.

The August dates he said the 12th and 13th onwards. Only time will tell on that! Hes predictions from jan 2013

http://www.rosfm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Ken-Ring-Summer-Prediction.mp3

Well last year he predicted the best of the summer with the driest weather would be the last 10 days of June.
    Oops http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0628/326890-heavy-rain-causes-flooding/

He is selling on his website a spreadsheet that will tell you exactly what the weather will be like on any given day of the year up to 2019 (for a couple of hundreds bucks) which he worked out by looking at the Moon:
    DzEdb8h.jpg
    If he could do that then he should have been able to work out when a volcano would erupt by looking at Saturn or Mars or the bottom of a stone in a field, because both methods involve the same level of logic.

Not that it would have mattered, because the eruptions of Grimsvotn and Nabro certainly didn't have any major impact on the climate. The last eruption that had an impact on the climate was the massive Pinatubo eruption in 1991 (a VEI 6) which released the most SO2 since Krakatoa. Pinatubo resulted in a temperature drop of just half of 1 degree. Are you seriously trying to tell me that the much smaller eruptions of Nabro and Grimsvotn in 2011 had so much of an impact that it resulted in Ireland having it's coldest summer in 50 years? Because if that was the case the summer after Pinatubo erupted in 1991 should have been the coldest summer since the last Ice Age here.

But whats the point in arguing? How can someone believe in the science of SO2 from eruptions blocking solar radiation but also believe that a lad in New Zealand can look at the Moon and tell you what the weather will be like on the 23 of March 2018 in Ireland, for a fee of course (unless you get to hear it on the radio or in the tabloids promoting his subscription based website).

I've debated this with other folks already. and certainly don't want to go over this again.

Nabro and Grimsvotn effects on the summer of 2011 and winter of 2011 are uncertain, but scientists are saying even small volcano eruptions, have the potential to change the global climate.

Grimsvotn Erupution occurred relatively close by to us on May 2011.

http://www.livescience.com/21411-weak-volcano-climate-effects.html

The 217 dollars is just for one year! Is it that you pick a year and when that year arrives he will give you the weather for that particular year. No where else on his site has he predictions beyond 2013-2014

I'm uncertain hes claiming to know the weather up till 2019. Its ambiguous the way its written. You could be right, but i ain't sure.

• Advertisement

dloob wrote: »
    Well last year he predicted the best of the summer with the driest weather would be the last 10 days of June.
    Oops http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0628/326890-heavy-rain-causes-flooding/

Have you on hand his prediction for 2012? Saying he said this isn't good enough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Have you on hand his prediction for 2012? Saying he said this isn't good enough:)
    Maybe this will help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Fresh easterly breeze kept temperature at 24.5C today; currently calm clear 17.3C and cooling steadily.

zenno wrote: »
    This postman seems to have a gift... A gift we all had at one point in time i think.

Interesting feller indeed.

It looks like most of us have lost the natural feeling to do this, shame on us all.

Source: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sunshine-on-the-way-says-weather-predicting-postie-598042.html

Predicting good weather in June in this case is another story. Ken ring predicted good weather in Jan 2013 and gave dates for it.

He said the 8th and 9th of July. If he was predicting off the top of his head. why does dates?

Why not June 8th and 9th why not July 2th and 3th or 15th or 16th.

He said the 8th and 9th (accurate) last 9 days (accurate) again another burst of good sunshine from the 19th to the 23 and 24th of July ( accurate it seems) then Ken ring said it will be unsettled around the 24th (again seems accurate)

If he was predicting of the top of his head why would he say the weather would be unsettled coming into this week?

If hes a con man it doesn't explain how he got this month right before anyone else. August will be a test mind you. if hes wrong there i'll take back what i said about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Regardless of what happens it has been a summer to remember. Driest June (not overly warm granted) June on record for 70 years in the east and unbelievable run of 3 amazing weeks in July countrywide with west and midlands getting hottest temperatures. Over 2 weeks of temperatures in mid 20s to 30 degrees, really brought back memories of 95. Despite mixed forecast for next week, met eireann have still predicted warm sunny weather for tomorrow and much of next week will still be quite warm with many dry spells.

Who knows, August could end up great too. You just never know. Regardless this summer has already over delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

I really wish I was a mod every time i hear the name Ken Ring:mad:....A pure and utter con man that takes money from the less informed...Derek Acorah eat your heart out

I've debated this with other folks already. and certainly don't want to go over this again.

Nabro and Grimsvotn effects on the summer of 2011 and winter of 2011 are uncertain, but scientists are saying even small volcano eruptions, have the potential to change the global climate.

Grimsvotn Erupution occurred relatively close by to us on May 2011.

http://www.livescience.com/21411-weak-volcano-climate-effects.html

The 217 dollars is just for one year! Is it that you pick a year and when that year arrives he will give you the weather for that particular year. No where else on his site has he predictions beyond 2013-2014

I'm uncertain hes claiming to know the weather up till 2019. Its ambiguous the way its written. You could be right, but i ain't sure.

Remember the Icelandic volcano on 21 March 2010. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8578576.stm

Remember our winter 19 december 2010, http://www.thejournal.ie/snowfall-and-icy-conditions-causing-major-air-travel-disruptions-59742-Dec2010/

I believe that the Icelandic volcano's eruption caused an enormous particle dust blanket high up in the atmosphere and these particles from this volcano reflected the suns rays back out into space causing the affected areas from this enormous dust cloud blanket to have caused the bad winter of 2010. I don't have the scientifically accurate way of explaining it but it is understood in certain scientific circles from what i gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

dexter647 wrote: »
    I really wish I was a mod every time i hear the name Ken Ring:mad:....A pure and utter con man that takes money from the less informed...Derek Acorah eat your heart out

People should ask themselves would they go up in a Hot Air Balloon on a day Ken Ring predicts calm sunny weather while Met Eireann predicts Gales and Gusts!

Just like horoscopes and astrology its great fun but don't go making serious decisions based on it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Who knows, August could end up great too. You just never know. Regardless this summer has already over delivered!

Unless August is an exceptional month this Summer will not be in the same league as '76 and '95.

Indeed a poor late July and August could still make this Summer hardly much more than average.

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    Maybe this will help

Lot of information on that website about Ken ring. Some of the sources are dubious.

As an example. Introduction.

The Short Version: 5 Reasons why it's all a Scam. I clicked into it.

Ken Ring's Predictions Fail in the Real World:

First one
    Ken Ring's Almanac failed to predict the Jan 2005 southwest North Island floods

He claims he said this but has no direct link to where he said this. I have a problem with this ( link the source)

fter devastating floods on May 18th, 2005 that he failed to predict, Ken Ring stated in defence of his forecasts:

Mention was made that I missed the 18 May heavy rain event... I don't think so.
    Yet his Almanac forecast for this period predicted:
    "Little or no recordable rain anywhere"
    "Fine and dry everywhere"
    "Little or no rain in both islands"
    Are these phrases portents of disastrous floods? We don't think so. Also Ring falsely stated that he was one day out on the forecast when in fact he was three days out.
    After the 2005 Canterbury September snowfall event, Ken Ring ignores his Almanac's 'Daily Forecasts' which failed to predict snow, and publicly quotes part of his 'Summary' which — strangely enough — does mention snow in both islands.

Attempting to back up a rain forecast Ring says, 'Look outside. It is wet'. When informed that 'it is not wet today Ken. Looking outside it is a beautiful sunny day...' , Ring replies, 'I wrote "it is wet" in Titirangi at around 11am. In this district the bush can glisten from rain from the previous evening until the sun gets at least overhead'. Who but Ring could describe a 'beautiful sunny day' as 'it is wet', simply because there is moisture on some leaves from the previous day's rain? This is typical Ring deviously reinterpreting his forecasts and hoping that people won't see through his lies by looking up his Almanac or looking out the window.

When talking publicly Ring highlights the odd past weather event that the public remembers and states that he predicted that it would happen. Of course the public and media almost never check his claims. Often when Ring says after-the-fact that certain weather would happen, he either never said that at all or he only said that it could happen, not that it would. We might get heavy snow, we might not. If it does happen then Ring insists he was certain all along. He only talks about vague predictions that can be seen as successes, and buries all his failures.

If you can find where Ken ring actually said this i would be grateful. I have googled whats been said by Sillybeliefs and i found nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement