Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Time to close this thread shirley?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

mike65 wrote: »

Looks that way....:(

Time to start one on August Heatwave Potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

The sunshine is back in cork!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mike65 wrote: »

Who's Shirley?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok who's ready for snow?! :-P KIDDING!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

leahyl wrote: »

Stop it now, plenty of time for that come November.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

0364_mnnr.gif

Ugh to early for that talk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Who's Shirley?
    New Mod? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Ugh to early for that talk

I know I'm kidding! Did I not say that in the original post?! I knew it'd get ye going :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thundery shower has finally hit Waterford.

It seems to have hit Wexford Town too and is now straddled across north County Wexford, probably including Gorey.

Arklow may be in it's path....:eek:

Hasn't produced any lightning for hours, it's more of shower than a thundery shower now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The south coast of england is getting blitzed at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Nothing in Gorey as yet, can still see the moon!

The Spider wrote: »
    Nothing in Gorey as yet, can still see the moon!

Yeah, the shower seems have moved north-westwards and disintegrated upon hitting the Wicklow Mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Quickelles wrote: »
    Not for long!

Met Eireann have just updated their little weather map from this morning to reflect actual rather than this mornings forecast conditions.

Hindcasting I guess :rolleyes:

Well, I think it's understood that forecasting isn't an exact science. Really feel sorry for meteorologists sometimes. They're not soothsayers!

Well, I think it's understood that forecasting isn't an exact science. Really feel sorry for meteorologists sometimes. They're not soothsayers!

Is there something especially difficult about the current set up that makes it difficult to predict 12 hours ahead?

The quality of the forecasts has plummeted in the past 48 hours - and I notice our resident model men are keeping a low profile too! ;)

Quickelles wrote: »
    Is there something especially difficult about the current set up that makes it difficult to predict 12 hours ahead?

The quality of the forecasts has plummeted in the past 48 hours - and I notice our resident model men are keeping a low profile too! ;)

Eh? The heatwave is over, whats happening now has been shown on the models for the past few days and there is nothing worth posting about on here regarding the models apart from in the thunderstorm thread.

Low pressure moving closer from the west : increasingly cloudy, cooler, more instability and showers.... replacing the dry, warm clear conditions we have for so long due to high pressure.

The main thing I'm looking at now is the thunderstorm potential. This thread is about an event thats in the past now, maybe we'll get another heatwave this year, but there's no sign of that happening yet.

• Advertisement

Ugh I need the sunshine back

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Ugh I need the sunshine back

Hopefully we can beat the statistics and we won't have to wait 5-10 years for another warm spell like that.

It was the driest spell since 1995, almost 20 years ago...so, yeah, I hope you made the most of it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

In Dublin Airport (my closest station) it is now 3 weeks since we have had rain, 6.9 mm on the 2nd of July,hopefully we can avoid the coming showers and drag out the dryness a bit longer. Have to say also if we hadn't had the great spell we would probably be happy with today's weather by normal standards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unlikely we will see a similar heatwave again this summer as these sort of events only happen every 10-15 years or so, however up until this summer we have been extremely unlucky with 6 washout summers in a row, hopefully it will be a long time again before we see a consistent run of brutal summers. Feeling fairly confident that summers from here on will be more of a mixture of bad summer/decent summer.

No showers, topped out at 23.8C, mainly sunny; a warmer day than several during the hot spell in this neck of the woods. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Donegal-Leitrim Border getting zapped! Anyone for a round of Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gonzo wrote: »
    unlikely we will see a similar heatwave again this summer as these sort of events only happen every 10-15 years or so, however up until this summer we have been extremely unlucky with 6 washout summers in a row, hopefully it will be a long time again before we see a consistent run of brutal summers. Feeling fairly confident that summers from here on will be more of a mixture of bad summer/decent summer.

I Wouldnt say we had 6 washouts in a row. Well depends on location i guess. Defo had a couple of half decent summers in the south east, no heatwave mind. Im thinking summers 10/11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The heatwave might be over but there's still nothing too cool in the outlook, GFS has temperatures in the 20's every day for the rest of the month with the Atlantic staying very quiet, a far cry from July last year where highs in the mid teens were the norm.

Today was actually up there with the hottest days all month here, around 25C with humidity above 70% all afternoon and still 22C at the moment. No rain from that shower a while ago despite what the radar was showing

18℃ down here in youghal, so heatwave still going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Harps wrote: »
    The heatwave might be over but there's still nothing too cool in the outlook, GFS has temperatures in the 20's every day for the rest of the month with the Atlantic staying very quiet, a far cry from July last year where highs in the mid teens were the norm.

Yeah, and even before the hot spell began, there was a pleasant balminess present. That alone is a huge improvement on the previous 6 summers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement