Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for something similar

Options
  • 01-07-2013 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

similar to Microsoft Office 2010, that does the same stuff, thanks im using win 8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There are many suites out there which give you the same core functionality for doing powerpoint presentations, spreadhseets and text documents, however if you are looking for the specific look and UI and some of the more advanced features of Office 2010, they are likely to only be in 2010. Its hard to really specify as they are usually really small things, like how you can extrapolate data from your charts in excel like slope and root mean - other apps may of course do this, but instruction on how they do it will not be nearly as widely documented. Not that big of an issue really, but most companies will expectantly operate on MS Office.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010005/5-free-open-source-alternatives-to-microsoft-office.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

The main alternatives are (free) LibreOffice, Open Office and the online GoogleDocs.
    Another lightweight install alternative is KingSoft Office.
    Skydrive also has MSwebApps for working with MS docs

MS has free document viewers for people who don't have Office to allow viewing/printing

MS has so dominated this area that the only real alternatives are the free ones. Almost all the commercial biggies have long faded away or incorporated in to free suites.
    Compatibility is good but you can occasionally find some issues or differences to the de facto MS standard formats.

Some people prefer to use older MS versions such as 2003 depending on what they were used to.

A good site for looking for alternative software is AlternativeTo.net

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I use open office and google docs. I haven't tried them all, open office fulfils the majority of my needs and isn't much of a departure from office.

Documents tend to be done in google docs just so I can access them easily at home or at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Can we set up a Poll here for the different types Alternatives ?

If i pick one of these Choices do i have to uninstall the Microsoft 2010 that is on my laptop ?

Would 2003 be compatiable for Windows 8

• Advertisement

no of course not, but your default program behaviors might get weird. other than that you could safely install multiple versions of Office on top of each other (2003/2007/2010/2013) as well as other office suites.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Overheal wrote: »
    other than that you could safely install multiple versions of Office on top of each other (2003/2007/2010/2013) as well as other office suites.

Note that if you are doing this it's best to install the earlier versions first, then install the later versions. If you already have the later version installed you should either re-install the later version after installing the earlier version, or at least do a repair on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

but i never paid for it so , i can never activate it and its just dead ,

so thats why was just wondering about installing an other windows office

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

faolteam wrote: »

MS Office isn't free, if you don't have a license for it try one of the free ones (LibreOffice for e.g) and see if it suits

Nick

faolteam wrote: »

That's a confusion in terms: the OEM included the installation files with your pc but you don't own a license for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement