Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon 50mm?

• 01-07-2013 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of buying one of these for my Nikon D3000

http://www.parkcameras.com/290/Nikon-AF-NIKKOR-50mm-f-1-8D.html

What do ye think? I realise I won't have to option of auto focusing but is that really a big problem. I may upgrade for another Nikon DSLR in the not too distant future anyway, has anyone here got one and what do you think? :):)

Thanks,
    Brendan.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would you not consider the 50mm f1.8G? it's a bit more expensive, but you may curse the lack of autofocus in the D; your viewfinder is not built for manual focus, and the lens itself is made primarily as an autofocus lens, so the ergonomics aren't fantastic on it for MF.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭topazkk

I'll check that out thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

as magicbastarder said get the G version for autofocus, well autofocus is less hassle but once you learn manual you wont use any other :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I had that lens on my D90 (but that had in camera focusing). Super lens for the price. However, when I went to a FF camera, it just didn't have the resolving power for the newer sensor so I upgraded.

If you want something with good IQ and cheap as chips, and don't mind the lack of auto focus - get the 50 1.8d, but for longer term value for money (i.e. avoiding having to upgrade if you get a camera body with a higher mp sensor), the g model is great, but the sigma art 50mm for me has the best IQ (comparable with the Zeiss Otus which goes for a couple of grand) and is great value for money..

EDIT: I just realised this thread is over a year old - DOH! RickWed you resurrected an auld one here :)

Advertisement