Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move...is work getting slack?

Options
  • 01-07-2013 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi im looking to move to australia in september,
    Im a qualified panel beater/spray painter....
    i also have numerous welding certificates,
    Ive been hearing stories about it being hard to find work over there now and am getting a few doubts about leaving.
    Anybody here have any real advice for me would be appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

mkano24 wrote: »
    Hi im looking to move to australia in september,
    Im a qualified panel beater/spray painter....
    i also have numerous welding certificates,
    Ive been hearing stories about it being hard to find work over there now and am getting a few doubts about leaving.
    Anybody here have any real advice for me would be appreciated thanks!

One of my close friends moved there recently and apparently there's a lot of work going there at the moment for panel painters and spray beaters. Wouldn't be too sure about panel beaters and spray painters though to be honest. I'll ask him when I'm in touch with him again and get back to you ASAP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

audman wrote: »
    One of my close friends moved there recently and apparently there's a lot of work going there at the moment for panel painters and spray beaters. Wouldn't be too sure about panel beaters and spray painters though to be honest. I'll ask him when I'm in touch with him again and get back to you ASAP :)
    WTF ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

audman wrote: »

maybe you might need to stop smoking weed dude !!.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mkano24

any serious advice?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 oz2013

'm in Melbourne, I'm in the same trade and have found work very easily. Get onto carcorp.com.au. They are a recruitment agency that will find you work. Drop them an email and you will never know. Another agency is konnecting.com.au but I have never used them. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

oz2013 wrote: »
    'm in Melbourne, I'm in the same trade and have found work very easily. Get onto carcorp.com.au. They are a recruitment agency that will find you work. Drop them an email and you will never know. Another agency is konnecting.com.au but I have never used them. Best of luck!

Couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

any serious advice?!?

Yeah good job prospects in that line of work here in perth. Mostly to do with them being sh1t drivers..;-)

a ya thats good i was getting a bit worried for a bit, ideally i would like to go into the mines but i reckon theres slim chance of that at moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

a ya thats good i was getting a bit worried for a bit, ideally i would like to go into the mines but i reckon theres slim chance of that at moment...

There are no jobs in the mines for panel beaters/spraypainters. The chances of someone damaging a vehicle are very slim and even if it did happen they probably wouldn't fix it.

aido79 wrote: »
    There are no jobs in the mines for panel beaters/spraypainters. The chances of someone damaging a vehicle are very slim and even if it did happen they probably wouldn't fix it.

For welding not panel beating...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

For welding not panel beating...

Do you have a Permanent Residency visa?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Do you have a Permanent Residency visa?
    no ill just be getting the whv....why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

no ill just be getting the whv....why?

Very hard to get into the mines without residency. Not impossible but very difficult. You need to have something they really want.

Very hard to get into the mines without residency. Not impossible but very difficult. You need to have something they really want.

thats sound i have no problem working at anything really as long as the rewards are there....there seems to be alot of people struggling to find work but the more i hear the more it sounds like they have no experience or qualifications...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

You coming over purely for a year or two or looking for more?

Sponsorship has just become a much harder option.

Work is definitely slowing down but I think the transient nature of trade work should make it easier for you to pick up something here and there.

for now im just looking for a year or 2...my sister is a residant over in perth so i think i could get sponserd from her if i needed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

for now im just looking for a year or 2...my sister is a residant over in perth so i think i could get sponserd from her if i needed to?

No you can't. All she can do is provide you with 5 extra points if you decide to apply for PR which is a lengthy and costly process.

ill jus go over and see what happens....worst case i dnt get work and come home!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

The unemployment rate over there is 5.6%, during "the good times" here unemployment bounced around between 3.8% - 5% this was considered to be full employment. Now Ireland's unemployment its at 13.8% and according to the news article the real unemployment rate is at 24%. So i ask is 5.6% worse ?

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/forget-parttime-jobs-real-unemployment-rate-is-24pc-says-imf-29358808.html

thanks that puts things into perspective...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Pinny_1

Loads of work for panel beaters lad. Im a mechanic myself and thers much more work for panel/ spraying in both cities and countryside.

As for welding in mines they want trade qualified welders only. Very hard to get into

Pinny_1 wrote: »
    Loads of work for panel beaters lad. Im a mechanic myself and thers much more work for panel/ spraying in both cities and countryside.

As for welding in mines they want trade qualified welders only. Very hard to get into

Sounds good! What part you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pinny_1

Sounds good! What part you in?

Im in NSW near city of Dubbo.
    Gumtree seems ok for some jobs. Seek.com.au is v good

Pinny_1 wrote: »
    Im in NSW near city of Dubbo.
    Gumtree seems ok for some jobs. Seek.com.au is v good

Ya ive been on it a good bit lately some amount of jobs on it! Im a little less worried about going now!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I wouldn't expect a mine job too easy, might be a different story if your occupation is on the 1st schedule of the SQL

ifeelill wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect a mine job too easy, might be a different story if your occupation is on the 1st schedule of the SQL[/quotet

To be honest I dont really expect to get into the mines.... Seems to be pretty difficult

Advertisement