Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixies - Nov 18th, Olympia Theatre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Anyone at last night's gig? Any good? Did they play any new stuff? Going tonight, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Played their new stuff throughout. Personally, I think its very good. Bagboy was one of the highlights of the gig. It seems that they certainly like playing their new stuff. Doolittle fans very well catered for, and played several from all over their catalogue. Havalina and All Over the World both great from Bossanova. Thought the gig was brilliant, and I couldn't imagine fans being disappointed. Great atmosphere, great venue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

toby2111 wrote: »
    Anyone at last night's gig? Any good? Did they play any new stuff? Going tonight, can't wait!

It was epic. Lost count of the number of tunes they played. From the new stuff, they played bag boy, Indie Cindy, what goes boom, blue eyed hexe and Andro Queen (IIRC). It was a massive setlist. Also played lots of stuff they dont normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Got in the pit for it. I'm not a hardcore lifetime fan, but the energy in the bit was unreal, very infectious.
    Band had lots of energy overall, but no crowd interaction. Not sure if that's normal, but it didn't matter as they ripped through the songs for about an hour and 30 before a 10min encore. Played 2 versions of Wave of Mutilation if I'm not mistaken. Debaser was my highlight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Looking forward to hearing Bagboy and Indy Cindy. They're not a very chatty band normally,saw them 4 times previously and they do exactly what somebody said above...they just rip through their setlist. Great to hear the atmosphere was brilliant,sounds like they're in top form. What time were they on stage?Was there a support band?

• Advertisement

On stage about 9:00. Support from No Cermony, but I didn't see them. If you want to get close up, get there at 6:50 and queue til they open at 7. Then see if you can leave out the back, and return at 9 for the main attraction

they were on about 9. Missed the support.

Yeah, two versions of Wave of Mutilation - the surf version first. Much prefer the original one played at the encore. River Euphrates was great as well. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Was in the Upper Circle last night, and the sound was awful at times :( For some songs we could hear only Joey Santiago and the thumping of the bass drum and the murmer of everything else beneath it. TBH by the end of the gig my ears were 'tired' in the way eyes get after squinting too long to try see something :p Which sounds like a crazy thing to say!

That being said they belted out the tracks non stop (though literally without a single word spoken) crowd was great, as was the selection of songs. For me personally 'Where is my Mind' was the transcendental moment of the night and I think I'll always feel those goose bumps and see those yellow lights again each time I hear it from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Broadman

Superb, what a gig. They did the usual get throught the setlist, dont talk to the crowd and thats fine; it kept the energy going.
    The 90 minutes flew by and before I knew it they were doing the encore. Ed is Dead was the highlight for me although Monkeys gone to heaven had the roof lifting (even if thats not one of my favorites).
    High energy and a few laughs when Joey went off on a 3-5 minute Solo with the rest of the band visibly waiting for him to let them back in. Cant remember the song, someone remind me please...
    Was standing and had a good view, lights were excellent and the sound perfect. Loud enough to enjoy without coming out with your ears ringing. Top marks.

Broadman wrote: »
    Superb, what a gig. They did the usual get throught the setlist, dont talk to the crowd and thats fine; it kept the energy going.
    The 90 minutes flew by and before I knew it they were doing the encore. Ed is Dead was the highlight for me although Monkeys gone to heaven had the roof lifting (even if thats not one of my favorites).
    High energy and a few laughs when Joey went off on a 3-5 minute Solo with the rest of the band visibly waiting for him to let them back in. Cant remember the song, someone remind me please...
    Was standing and had a good view, lights were excellent and the sound perfect. Loud enough to enjoy without coming out with your ears ringing. Top marks.

Think it was Vamos with joey showboating

• Advertisement

Saw Aidan Gillen up in the gallery at the side actually. He's some boy for goin around to gigs and festivals. Sporting a prize winning tache

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

Saw Aidan Gillen up in the gallery at the side actually. He's some boy for goin around to gigs and festivals. Sporting a prize winning tache

was that not Jerry Fish. You know its a good gig when the VIP boxes are hopping.

was that not Jerry Fish. You know its a good gig when the VIP boxes are hopping.

Jerry was around, but fairly sure it was Gillen. Lower gallery on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Broadman

Think it was Vamos with joey showboating

Thanks , thats what it was....Very funny..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Surprised this user has not posted in this thread yet...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=405160

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Morgans wrote: »
    Havalina and All Over the World both great from Bossanova.

They didn't play All Over the World. Raging I didn't get tickets to both nights. Such a great gig regardless of which Kim they played with, I'm sorry to say. Racing through the tunes and quality tunes that haven't been aired on their other tours.

They didn't play All Over the World. Raging I didn't get tickets to both nights. Such a great gig regardless of which Kim they played with, I'm sorry to say. Racing through the tunes and quality tunes that haven't been aired on their other tours.

Sorry, you are correct. "Ana" it was. Can I blame hangover?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was at They Might Be Giants gig in Vicar Street on Monday night. Went to The Globe afterwards and Jerry and The Pixies came in (no Francis Black). Ended up chatting to they for a good while. Very nice people
    got a (bad) photo and all

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

KGLady wrote: »
    Was in the Upper Circle last night, and the sound was awful at times :( For some songs we could hear only Joey Santiago and the thumping of the bass drum and the murmer of everything else beneath it. TBH by the end of the gig my ears were 'tired' in the way eyes get after squinting too long to try see something :p Which sounds like a crazy thing to say!.

Thank feck someone else said this, I thought I was the only one, felt like a complete traitor complaining about the sound. Was on the first floor seats but right at the front - the centre speaker stack was directly in front about 30 feet away. Sound started out fine but about 4 songs in Joey's guitar got cranked up and he was all you could hear. Been to some seriously loud gigs before but this was nuts loud. Stayed like that and in the end I ended up moving to the back - couldn't see the band but sounded spot on.

Kinda ruined the gig for me which was a shame cause it was a cracking set, wasn't expecting much from the new songs but they were savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

dinneenp wrote: »
    I was at They Might Be Giants gig in Vicar Street on Monday night. Went to The Globe afterwards and Jerry and The Pixies came in (no Francis Black). Ended up chatting to they for a good while. Very nice people
    got a (bad) photo and all

Well done on getting the photo, was just wondering, how long after the gig ended was it that that you met them?

(They ended at 10.50pm on Tuesday night)

I was also at They Might Be Giants on Monday and I got a photo of their setlist and got a photo of the setlist of the Pixies on Tuesday:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Last night was about the fifth time I'd seen the Pixies since the early 90's and I thought they'd lost nothing, despite the fact that Kim Deal wasn't there, although you do miss her silly yapping between songs. Shattuck did fine though, but her mike needed turning up.

I was down the front and the sound was pretty good from there, even if Joey's guitar was overloaded at times. But I had to take a piss during one of the songs and from the back, it sounded quite bad.

I'm glad someone else thought it was loud, I figured that I was just getting old. :(

Great gig all the same and a long one too, felt close to 2 hours.

'Tony's Theme', best song of the night... I wonder why that was... :D

Tony EH wrote: »
    Last night was about the fifth time I'd seen the Pixies since the early 90's and I thought they'd lost nothing, despite the fact that Kim Deal wasn't there, although you do miss her silly yapping between songs. Shattuck did fine though, but her mike needed turning up.

I was down the front and the sound was pretty good from there, even if Joey's guitar was overloaded at times. But I had to take a piss during one of the songs and from the back, it sounded quite bad.

I'm glad someone else thought it was loud, I figured that I was just getting old. :(

Great gig all the same and a long one too, felt close to 2 hours.

'Tony's Theme', best song of the night... I wonder why that was... :D

I find in the Olympia that the sound gets kind of tinny and shrill towards the back.

Is it because the balcony is blocking the sound from the two stacks of
    speakers?

I think the best area for sound in the Olympia is if you are central and behind the barrier for the pit, where when you look up behind you, you can see the front row of the circle area

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

killer setlist last night but jesus it was loud. great to hear the lesser known songs live

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think the best area for sound in the Olympia is if you are central and behind the barrier for the pit, where when you look up behind you, you can see the front row of the circle area

That's where we were and it a nice crunchy sound with plenty of bass thumping through me.

However, when I saw them do their 'Doolittle' tour a couple of years ago, I was up on one of the balconies and the sound was grand there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Well done on getting the photo, was just wondering, how long after the gig ended was it that that you met them?

(They ended at 10.50pm on Tuesday night)

I was also at They Might Be Giants on Monday and I got a photo of their setlist and got a photo of the setlist of the Pixies on Tuesday:)

Probably about 12:30ish.
    We went to pub opposite Vicar St. and got a cab after last call. We were sitting down for a while before they came in.
    Was chatting about tour bus, Chrismtas, my kids etc. seemed totally sound.
    If Frnak Black was there I'd probably have been a bit star struck

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

Jerry was in there, no Aiden Gillen though.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Probably about 12:30ish.
    We went to pub opposite Vicar St. and got a cab after last call. We were sitting down for a while before they came in.
    Was chatting about tour bus, Chrismtas, my kids etc. seemed totally sound.
    If Frnak Black was there I'd probably have been a bit star struck

It's always nice, when a band you've listened to for years turns out to be sound (and not 'rock star'-ish!) when you meet them!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Good to hear they were deadly. Still have yet to see them.
    Surely if the picnic had any sense they would get them for this year

Advertisement