Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbitte wants to draw maps now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

"minimum of 30MB" to the entire country by 2015...

Honestly don't see THAT happening anytime soon <_<;

And I'm just curious - if you can get a measily connection of, say, 1MB, via a dongle... would that consider you covered by broadband? :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

BeerWolf wrote: »
    "minimum of 30MB" to the entire country by 2015...

Honestly don't see THAT happening anytime soon <_<;

And I'm just curious - if you can get a measily connection of, say, 1MB, via a dongle... would that consider you covered by broadband? :|

I'd say even the promise of that would have you "covered"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Where are you getting the 2015 from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

ED E wrote: »
    Where are you getting the 2015 from?

Here ya go all you need to know :P

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/files/PageTurning/NationalBroadbandPlan/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

...and what where those bloody Google Mapping cars doing (or what where they doing that they should not have been) ?

Mapping wifi was it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well Northern Ireland already has 100% broadband coverage, so it should be possible by 2015 here too.

With Eircoms VDSL rollout, if it continues to go as quickly as it seems to have so far, I'm starting to feel more confident that 100% 30mb/s + should be achievable by 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

bk wrote: »
    Well Northern Ireland already has 100% broadband coverage, so it should be possible by 2015 here too.

With Eircoms VDSL rollout, if it continues to go as quickly as it seems to have so far, I'm starting to feel more confident that 100% 30mb/s + should be achievable by 2015.

Dunno how that is possible, all towns and villages will more than likely have it but there are still houses which cant get any broadband, I wouldn't be surprised if the most remote 10% of the country doesn't have 30mbs+ by 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

From what i read, the mapping process deadline is August (September) 2013. So least it will be done fast hopefully?

If certain places get the go ahead from Government-nothing will be done till the first six months of 2014 anyways.

Its fairly obvious villages should be the priority. Small towns/Large towns and Cities will likely be upgraded first. You don't need a mapping process to figure that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Nolars wrote: »
    Dunno how that is possible, all towns and villages will more than likely have it but there are still houses which cant get any broadband, I wouldn't be surprised if the most remote 10% of the country doesn't have 30mbs+ by 2016.

By 2016 unlikely but i think DSL is a possibility in does very remote locations.

ADSL is fairly cheap install nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I would love to see it happening but in reality, unless they pay for fixed wireless or expand the NBS I'll never see speeds faster than 1-2 MB. Where I live, I'm approx 2 miles from the nearest Eircom cabinet. And I think that's only a junction. Nearest fixed line BB is about 3 miles away. And the people there are only getting ~3 MB from Eircom.

If only the government had gotten involved in the LTE rollout and insisted that the phone companies start providing it to the rural areas first, rather than to the major cities where there is a plethora of high speed providers available. As it is, the contract with 3 for the NBS ends August 2014 so I can see me being connection-less in just over a year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Every time Rabbitte opens his mouth I have to laugh.

That are so many extended reach customers who wont get fibre at all under current schemes(try 3km from the cab never mind the exchange). We're talking 2020 to get to a 30Mb minimum, at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You could cover rural customers with proper wireless networks and I don't mean mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I read up a few weeks back of a German Institute developing a new wireless that's as fast as fibre, albeit the test was 1km between 2 buildings.

That being said, hopefully that tech would be commerically available within the next few years and we'd no longer have to rely on physical cables for faster broadband.

Although knowing Ireland... if it were available now, we wouldn't be seeing it for the next 10 years...

It's a good thing he implemented those postcodes to help map the broadband locations.

Oh, yeah... He didn't... They've been taking about them for years though.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything concrete on this initiative either.

The Department of Vapourware would be a more appropriate name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bk wrote: »

Heh you know damn well this will be an exercise in rolling out mobile technology and they won't bother with the VDSL rollout as that might cost money, better to subsidize crap 4G technologies and pronounce it done rather than do it right...

More than likely.

VDSL2 isn't really a viable solution outside clusters of less than 40 houses though, even with the smallest cabinets available (64 lines).

It's fine for villages etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

SpaceTime wrote: »
    More than likely.

VDSL2 isn't really a viable solution outside clusters of less than 40 houses though, even with the smallest cabinets available (64 lines).

It's fine for villages etc

perhaps VDSL isn't suitable for long roads but that's not a reason NOT to expand the network to all rural exchanges. Fibre can easily stretch up to 50Km from the exchange with ZX technology.

Mobile technology certainly isn't suitable either to deliver any guaranteed minimum speeds so making that sort of investment is simply subsidizing a mobile telco to roll out voice services and then there are the pathetic data caps to deal with too.

Mobile definitely isn't the way. However, really good FWA works and can deliver excellent speed and low latency.

They should be looking at getting FTTC / FTTH as widely rolled out as possible, but they should also roll out publicly owned high sites with neutral fibre access. FWA operators could then really provide some decent speeds and ditch some of the low caps.

There are ideal sites on RTE masts, ESB pylons, wind turbines etc many of these assets are are already publicly owned.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm thinking fixed wireless for the most rural homes.

The VDSL fibre going deep into rural villages, should help make high quality fixed wireless more dependable and wide spread.

Use the fibre going to the VDSL cab in the rural village to also feed a fixed wireless connection at the top of the church steeple or Garda Station/School to cover the surrounding area.

Even better if there is a nearby mountain or hill, run the fibre from the village to the hill or alternatively use point to point fixed wireless from the village to the hill and then have an antenna on the hill feeding the surrounding area.

Good FWA really works very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Speedtest.net could probably provide this information

The other issue is that you could eliminate copper lines on long rural runs replacing them with more reliable (given the lengths involved) point to point radio links providing really high speed Internet comparable to FTTC and phone service.

Even if some householders only took up phone service, it would save eircom a fortune on line maintenance of very long runs of copper that are prone to einter storm damage etc etc

hardCopy wrote: »
    Speedtest.net could probably provide this information

Bear in mind that many existing FWA networks are old and really quite slow. There are a few stand out well implemented ones but don't write the technology off based on a few shoestring budget 10 year old networks many of which are under capacity and over subscribed due to poor fixed line services in rural towns and even big city hinterlands.

Built with modern technology and proper investment they can provide much higher speeds, with consistent results unlike mobile.

Advertisement