Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions about my goldfish....

Options
  • 01-07-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Last week I got 2 small goldfish (1.5 to 2 inches long). I have been feeding them once a day. They are eating about 90% of what I give them in about 5 mins and they would eat the rest in about the next 5-10 mins as they see it floating round the tank. Is this about the right amount? I have noticed that during the day that they are nibbling on the gravel at the bottom. Is this normal or is it a sign that they are not getting enough to eat? I have noticed that there is no food caught in the filter or in the gravel at the bottom so I am nearly sure that I´m not over feeding. I have also noticed that they spend nearly all their time in the bottom half of the tank but they will go into the top half or to the surface to feed. Again is this normal?
    Secondly I have a query about the light in the lid of the tank. Do I need to turn this on everyday for a while? The tank is in an area that is fairly well lit by natural light from outside but it does not get any direct sunlight. It´s just when ever I turn the light on it spooks the fish and I turn it off. I have no natural plants in the tank.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How big a tank do you have? Is it filtered? What's your water change regimen? Do you test your water, and if so what are your levels? What are you feeding them?

I would feed as much as they can eat in about 3 minutes, once a day. A general rule is that if any reaches the end of the tank you're overfeeding, but it can depend on the type of food being fed and the fish's temperaments. When I had a goldfish he would pick at the gravel, AFAIK it's perfectly natural behaviour.

You do not have to put the light on unless you want to observe the fish or you have live plants. The reason they seem skittish when you turn it on is just because they're not used to it (similar to the way bright light can hurt your eyes in the morning). If you leave it on they will relax. I have mine on a timer and the fish are now used to the light going on and off and it doesn't phase them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MRG77

Thanks for your reply. It´s a 50 litre tank. Yes the tank is filtered. I´m doing a 20% water change once a week. I haven´t tested my water yet. I´m just feeding them King British Goldfish flake food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That tank is fine for now, but you'll need to upgrade to about 150L when the fish get bigger.

If I were you I'd increase the water changes to 50% a week. I recommend getting the water testing kits with the test tubes rather than the strips as the strips are generally unreliable and most of them dont' seem to check ammonia, which is very important.

Did you cycle the tank before putting the fish in? That is; you add the dechlorinated water and 'feed' the tank with either ammonia drops or fish food which will decompose into ammonia, this allows a colony of beneficial bacteria which will break down ammonia in the water to grow in your filter. If you didn't cycle the tank you will now be doing what's called a 'fish in' cycle, this will generally lead to high levels of ammonia in the water. Ammonia is poisonous to fish so you will need to change a large volume of water every two days or so in order to keep the fish healthy. There's more on it in a sticky at the top of the forum.

Advertisement