Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada (Nervous)

Options
  • 01-07-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Everyone,

So I am moving to Toronto in mid October and frankly the whole prospect scares the crap out of me. I am probably a different case compared to most going over. I have a job for a well known company (I work in I.T.). I have my degree and about 5 years experience. I live in Dublin and earn a solid living. Why am I going then you ask? Well you see my girlfriend of 5 years needs to go back to Canada. She was born in Ireland but raised in Canada. She is not a full citizen but a permanent resident so she can only stay out of the Canada for a few years or she loses her PR card. All her family live there so I would never pressure her to stay in Ireland.

For the longest time I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with her but applied for the visa anyway. Other than the obvious fact I am going for her I now see that things are slowly getting worse (not better) in Ireland and the adventure of living in Canada tempts me quite a bit so I have decided to take the plunge. The only thing is I am worried about a few things and would love a second opinion from those in the same position or with personal experience.

Work
    I know Toronto is not the land of milk and honey people make it out to be but I would hope my experience would stand to me over there. I know "Canadian Experience" can be an issue for Irish heading over but I believe they are less strict about this in the IT sector. Also what is the work culture like? Is it the norm to work crazy hours or are they a little more laid back? Do you have any tips when searching?

Growing accustomed to life in Canada
    I know sooner or later I am going to get homesick but how badly depends on how I like Canadian life. What are the people like? Are the seasons a bitch for Irish to adjust too?

Sorry for the long thread introduction but you can see I have a lot on my mind lol. Anyway I would be grateful for any advice as I am having some sleepless nights.

Many thanks,

Superyoung

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vicquebec

Hi-

I can't tell much about Toronto as Im in Quebec. But the Canadian work mentality is practically the same.

You will love it, boss to employee relationship is so much more laidback here than in Ireland. If you're in IT, you should find something pretty sharpish, its a big industry in Canada and Toronto especially. I didnt have Canadian experience, but I got a great job within 3weeks, not that it will be as such in your case, but if you work hard at finding that job, network through LinkedIN etc.. you won't wait too long

Regarding your 2nd question: Are you an outdoorsy person? There are lots to do.. its all in your own mindset.. You will get real seasons here, but prepare for the heat and humidity in summer, in Toronto it can reach up to 35degrees in summer. Winters are not as cold as other parts of the country though..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

As someone who arrived in Toronto recently (and is here for similar reasons) I reckon I can answer some of your questions:

The process of finding IT work has been identical to finding IT work in Dublin. Brush up your CV then put it on monster.ca, workopolis, etc. I got good few interview requests simply by applying for jobs found on the usual web sites.

One thing that's annoying is that a lot of companies expect you to apply via their own recruitment systems - you can't simply send on your CV via email, you have to enter it in via a web form. For this reason it's useful to have your CV in some kind of plain text format so that you can copy and paste job locations, titles, details etc into the relevant fields of one of these forms.

Also have a decent and customisable cover letter handy - you'll be expected to provide one with every application. When I omitted it I heard nothing back, when I started to use one the response rate shot up.

With a degree and 5+ years you should be able to find work. One thing I've seen is that a lot of IT companies operate outside of downtown Toronto - Mississauga seems very popular and there's some stuff in Markham. If you have a driving license you'll have a lot more options (not to say there's nothing in the downtown core - there certainly is - but it's better to be able to cast a wide net). It seems that fairly long commutes are the norm around here.

One thing I was asked about in every job-related interview was the nature of my work permit. They seemed less interested in the fact that it's only for 2 years than the fact that they weren't been asked to provide sponsorship. Seems the time limit isn't an issue, they can use you as a sort of contractor and place you client site if needs be. As long as you're not asking them to spend any more time or money on bringing you there they're happy.

As for work culture, I don't start for another week so I can't comment yet. But the core hours seem to be 0900-1800 which is a bit longer than home.

Homesickness is inevitable but the best cure is to keep distracted - take advantage of the many entertainment opportunities Toronto has to offer and make sure to stay physically active.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Not going to comment on your work situation, as I'm not in that sector! But I will comment on this:
    superyoung wrote: »
    Growing accustomed to life in Canada
    I know sooner or later I am going to get homesick but how badly depends on how I like Canadian life. What are the people like? Are the seasons a bitch for Irish to adjust too?

Canadians are awesome people. They are relaxed, outgoing and inclusive. I can honestly say you will have no problem getting on with Canadians.

The seasons are different, but don't think of that as a bad thing. Having distinctive seasons is nice. The cold is different to Ireland, it's a drier cold that doesn't get into your bones. It does get a bit sticky in the summer, and that's the thing I found toughest to get used to, but some people love the heat, and it's a good change from Ireland where the summer lasts about 3 days.

As regards homesickness, I suppose that happens some people. As wittyusername said, the best thing is to keep busy. There's SO much to do in Toronto - doesn't matter that you are into. There's tonnes of museums, there's festivals every week, there's great live music scene, great pubs, clubs and restaurants.

If home sickness does crop up, and you want to surround yourself with some folks from back home, there are some good Irish groups here, such as this: http://www.torontoirishassociation.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 superyoung

Thanks guys I really really appreciate all this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

what area of I.t are you in

• Advertisement

I work in User Experience Design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I'm sure you will love it, Toronto is a class city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Side track slightly.

A mate of mine in Galway told me last week a girl in his office went on holiday for a fortnight. The day she left they advertised her job and by the time she got back they had it filled it. They didnt even tell her she wasnt working there anymore and left her come in. Thats the level of bs working in Europe has now become. They can do what ever they like these days cos if you dont like it, the next person probably will. My mate was disgusted.

It is a good time to seek pastures new.

So she went on holidays and by the time she got back they had replaced her? There must be more to that story as if she had been there longer than a year she could filed for unfair dismissal. For all we know she might have not be great at her job either. Either way what they did was wrong and very immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

superyoung wrote: »
    So she went on holidays and by the time she got back they had replaced her? There must be more to that story as if she had been there longer than a year she could filed for unfair dismissal. For all we know she might have not be great at her job either. Either way what they did was wrong and very immoral.

Exactly. My mate was flabbergasted and told to keep his mouth shut or he'll be following her. She is weighing up her options with regard to legal issues. I was stunned when he told me, said exactly what you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

As someone who arrived in Toronto recently (and is here for similar reasons) I reckon I can answer some of your questions:

The process of finding IT work has been identical to finding IT work in Dublin. Brush up your CV then put it on monster.ca, workopolis, etc. I got good few interview requests simply by applying for jobs found on the usual web sites.

One thing that's annoying is that a lot of companies expect you to apply via their own recruitment systems - you can't simply send on your CV via email, you have to enter it in via a web form. For this reason it's useful to have your CV in some kind of plain text format so that you can copy and paste job locations, titles, details etc into the relevant fields of one of these forms.

Also have a decent and customisable cover letter handy - you'll be expected to provide one with every application. When I omitted it I heard nothing back, when I started to use one the response rate shot up.

With a degree and 5+ years you should be able to find work. One thing I've seen is that a lot of IT companies operate outside of downtown Toronto - Mississauga seems very popular and there's some stuff in Markham. If you have a driving license you'll have a lot more options (not to say there's nothing in the downtown core - there certainly is - but it's better to be able to cast a wide net). It seems that fairly long commutes are the norm around here.

One thing I was asked about in every job-related interview was the nature of my work permit. They seemed less interested in the fact that it's only for 2 years than the fact that they weren't been asked to provide sponsorship. Seems the time limit isn't an issue, they can use you as a sort of contractor and place you client site if needs be. As long as you're not asking them to spend any more time or money on bringing you there they're happy.

As for work culture, I don't start for another week so I can't comment yet. But the core hours seem to be 0900-1800 which is a bit longer than home.

Homesickness is inevitable but the best cure is to keep distracted - take advantage of the many entertainment opportunities Toronto has to offer and make sure to stay physically active.

+1, oretty much everything you need to know is in this post.
    5+ years experience should see you with no worries getting a job, although it may take some time to actually get started - canadian hiring processes seem to take longer with interviews, second interviews, red tape etc, unless their is an urgent need to get someone in

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

Canadian businesses can be diverse in the way they operate, some are all about networking but, from what others have told me, others are more willing to give a stranger a chance. Some follow a relaxed style of management and others are more traditional. It's also very common here to send out tons of CVs without any acknowledgement or reply, which can be discouraging.

Like the US, it's a big enough place for most people to be able to find where they fit in, and with whom they fit in. So there's no need to worry on that score unless you're a member of some odd subculture; but even if you are, you will very likely find your niche after a little effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

Hi everyone looking for advise

My boyfriend and I went to Canada last year for the first time.

We visited Edmonton and from there we went to banff, Canmore, Jasper. I just fell in love with the place.

So much so that ever since I think about the place every single day. And just dream about it.

I just can’t wait to go back there.

I know it’s prob not possible to live in banff but it might be possible to live in Canmore.

My boyfriend is going on 41 and I am 35 are we too old to immigrate?

I have a good job here in Ireland working private sector but my boyfriend has just been laid off construction job and can’t get work here.

He doesn’t have degree.

I do have 3rd level degree

Then I have my mother here who is a widow and other siblings are abroad.

So what do I do

Could you immigrate to Canada at any age!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Benny122 wrote: »

We visited Edmonton and from there we went to banff, Canmore, Jasper. I just fell in love with the place.

So much so that ever since I think about the place every single day. And just dream about it.

I know it’s prob not possible to live in banff but it might be possible to live in Canmore.

I have a good job here in Ireland working private sector but my boyfriend has just been laid off construction job and can’t get work here.

He doesn’t have degree.

So what do I do

If you are 35 then you can apply for IEC before you turn 36. I think so long as the application is complete before you turn 36 then you will qualify for it. Then if you and your boyfriend have been living in a marriage like relationship for at least year (think joint lease, joint bank account etc..) he can get a work permit if you find a job.

Calgary would be a better bet to live in, I don't know what job prospects are like in Canmore. Also, visiting a place is very different to living in the same place.

IEC info https://moving2canada.com/immigration/canadian-work-permits/international-experience-canada/

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Benny122 wrote: »

He doesn’t have degree.

So what do I do

I lived not far outside outside Banff for a while. Many of the jobs in the area revolve around tourism. Hotels, restaurants, ski hills, lakes, biking, retail etc. You'd make enough to get by but you wouldn't be rolling in it. I was in my 20s when I lived there and I loved it but I'm not so sure I'd live that life now in my 30s. Somewhere like Calgary would be better. It's only an hour and a half from Banff and there would be more varied employment opportunities.

I lived not far outside outside Banff for a while. Many of the jobs in the area revolve around tourism. Hotels, restaurants, ski hills, lakes, biking, retail etc. You'd make enough to get by but you wouldn't be rolling in it. I was in my 20s when I lived there and I loved it but I'm not so sure I'd life that life now in my 30s. Somewhere like Calgary would be better. It's only an hour and a half from Banff and there would be more varied employment opportunities.

Just be prepared for the cold!!!

Advertisement