Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with Gold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

If your xbox live subscription expires, can you still play the games you downloaded for free?

I played the main story of tomb raider guardian of light. Enjoyed it. Didnt bother collecting all the weapons, secrets, etc.
    I also downloaded shoot many robots but didnt even load the game once.

Still enjoying deadlight, progressing at a slow rate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Backfire wrote: »
    If your xbox live subscription expires, can you still play the games you downloaded for free?

Yep they're yours to keep

I have both of next months games already on steam but shur I might aswell download them on the 360 as I've yet to play them on the pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

don't like saints row so I won't bother with that
    dust looks like a fun game to chill play with :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    don't like saints row so I won't bother with that
    dust looks like a fun game to chill play with :P

SR3 is a bit different to the previous ones, some (me) might say differnt for the worse though, others prefer it. Worth checking out anyway seeing as its free.

calex71 wrote: »
    SR3 is a bit different to the previous ones, some (me) might say differnt for the worse though, others prefer it. Worth checking out anyway seeing as its free.

It wouldnt be worth my while really as my internet connection is so ****e it would take ages to download a big game like that. Can barely download the arcade games.

Thats good that the games are yours forever. Is that the same case on the psn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It wouldnt be worth my while really as my internet connection is so ****e it would take ages to download a big game like that. Can barely download the arcade games.

Thats good that the games are yours forever. Is that the same case on the psn?

Yes, as long as you keep subscribing to PS Plus.

You could start the download, and stop it. That way you can keep the game for when you do get a faster broadband connection. It will be remembered that you had downloaded it (or tried to).

Allyall wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you keep subscribing to PS Plus.

You could start the download, and stop it. That way you can keep the game for when you do get a faster broadband connection. It will be remembered that you had downloaded it (or tried to).

Thanks for that tip. Didnt know that.

So you need to keep your psn subscription going to keep playing your free games? So xbox is better since you can continue to play them even after your subscription ends yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

PSN reputedly has "better" (or more recent) games per month (e.g. Bioshock Infinite is free at the moment afaik), and more than just the two Xbox Live has... but yes you need to pay the €40 or whatever per year to continue playing them.

Then again Xbox Live has started receiving some better games of late, but still not quite up to the PSN level of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I think when the Xbox One starts doing the Games with Gold it'll follow the PS+ method - rentals and better games than they have been giving on 360 I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It wouldn't be worth my while really as my internet connection is so ****e it would take ages to download a big game like that. Can barely download the arcade games.

That's good that the games are yours forever. Is that the same case on the psn?

Yeah, you can even just 'purchase' the free download on Xbox.com and it's yours to keep.

I've sold my 360, but keep doing this for the games I'd be interested in (just in case they ever bring in backwards compatibility through emulation or a streaming service on Xbox One)

• Advertisement

Finished playing deadlight tonight, good game, i enjoyed it, died a few too many times towards the end though. Cant be bothered collecting all the secrets and diary pages.

But still an enjoyable game that cost me nothing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Finished playing deadlight tonight, good game, i enjoyed it, died a few too many times towards the end though. Cant be bothered collecting all the secrets and diary pages.

But still an enjoyable game that cost me nothing :)

Same as .. finished it earlier. Was a good game to pass the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

To celebrate the one-year anniversary of Games with Gold for Xbox 360 and as a thank you for helping shape this program, members will receive an additional free Xbox 360 game in June. The Games with Gold titles for Xbox 360 in June are “Dark Souls,” “Charlie Murder” and a bonus game of “Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.” We’re pleased to bring Games with Gold to Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox One in June. Members will have subscription-based access to free games ranging from top hits to breaking indie stars. The program will launch on Xbox One with “Max: The Curse of Brotherhood” and “Halo: Spartan Assault.” A single Gold membership will get you access to the free games for both Xbox One and Xbox 360.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,371 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Street Fighter should be fun :)

Dark Souls being free is great even though I already own it, but I can get all my friends to get it now too and the online should see a boost for a few weeks. Jolly Cooperation ahoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Dark souls is a game I never would have bought for fear of being put off by the difficulty - looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about now!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

http://www.totalxbox.com/76395/first-free-xbox-one-games-with-gold-revealed-will-release-in-june/

Already have Spartan Assault but I'm looking forward to trying Max and the Curse of Brotherhood

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,371 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dark souls is a game I never would have bought for fear of being put off by the difficulty - looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about now!

Rally once you get through the first few hours it's not that hard at all, just unforgiving more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Finally GWG can match Plus

• Moderators Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Azza

If you guys are interested in playing with the Irish community in Street Fighter 4 when it goes free, head over to the fighting game forum. Be a few of us there willing to help out if your interested in learning the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Azza wrote: »
    If you guys are interested in playing with the Irish community in Street Fighter 4 when it goes free, head over to the fighting game forum. Be a few of us there willing to help out if your interested in learning the game.
    A few easy wins for you, if I start playing, so :)

• Advertisement

I take it you don't need a 12 month Gold subscription for this and a 1 month will be fine? Mine has run out but I don't really use it beyond getting the Games with Gold

I just use the PC for multiplayer now tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Well they say "Members will have subscription based access to....." which sounds like they're switching to PS+ kind of system and you'll only be able to play the games if you have a live subscription. But you should be able to access with a 1-month code yeah.

maximoose wrote: »
    Well they say "Members will have subscription based access to....." which sounds like they're switching to PS+ kind of system and you'll only be able to play the games if you have a live subscription. But you should be able to access with a 1-month code yeah.

Hmm I thought the subscription based access was only for Xbox One?

Sorry I should have mentioned I have a 360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

maximoose wrote: »

I read it the same, looks like you'll now need an ongoing gold sub to keep playing - at least for Xbox one. Guess MS will clarify soon.

Yeah actually you could be right, maybe that is just for Xbox one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Hardly a big deal wouldn't you agree, considering the large majority is going to need it for MP anyway

** Free Games Offer: For paid Gold members only. On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded

http://majornelson.com/2014/05/13/delivering-more-choices-for-fans/

So I'm guessing just Xbox One will require membership... which makes sense since the games are so new. Xbox 360 still to continue getting the oldies I guess...

Yeah I don't see the problem. If it means the calibre of games offered improves then I'm happy with "rentals"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

mrcheez wrote: »
    I take it you don't need a 12 month Gold subscription for this and a 1 month will be fine? Mine has run out but I don't really use it beyond getting the Games with Gold

I just use the PC for multiplayer now tbh

Ya one month is grand for the games with gold. I reckon even a 24-48 hour code will do to get access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Ya one month is grand for the games with gold. I reckon even a 24-48 hour code will do to get access

I had that free week Live from Skittles end of last month in an attempt to get the free game, but wasn't available on a 'trial'.

Just saw tonight that under the changes you no longer need Gold for Netflix and other apps, which is a change for the better.

Advertisement