Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with Gold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

#IDARB is up for download now for anyone who is waiting for it

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Another **** game with gold for xb1

How will you cope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Definitely disappointing when you see what Sony are doing with PS+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

calex71 wrote: »
    Brothers is not a happy game :(

But a brilliant game, and its got heart (if a game can have heart that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

That IDARB looks like it could be a bit of fun.

Looking forward to giving it a go. Read somewhere it could be as addictive as bomberman live. Bomberman Live was class.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Shows you the self entitlement of modern gamers when they complain about free games.

That's modern Ireland for you! :eek:

Shows you the self entitlement of modern gamers when they complain about free games.

Comparing the relative merits of two similar competing paid services isn't exactly "complaining about free games".

Comparing the relative merits of two similar competing paid services isn't exactly "complaining about free games".

But someone saying x game is rubbish or another month of crap on XBOX1 is complaining... There's been plenty of good games given away for free, hasn't there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭maximoose

PS+ hasn't exactly been great of late either tbh

Their PS3 offerings are better than GWG for 360, PS4 games have been meh.

daUbiq wrote: »
    But someone saying x game is rubbish or another month of crap on XBOX1 is complaining... There's been plenty of good games given away for free, hasn't there?

I could count on one hand the number of good games on Xbox One that have been part of Games with Gold - there have been only two games with a Metacritic rating higher than 80 (Guacamelee and Super Time Force). And again, when put alongside what PS4 owners have had with Playstation +, there's a big disparity. Along with that, there have been 30 PS+ games for PS4 compared with 11 Games With Gold for Xbox One.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »

Decent this month though - Thief on ps3 and Transistor on ps4. I'm very happy to have gotten the Witcher 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

All the good games are coming out on the 360. Brothers and sniper elite this month , they are games i would actually play. Unfortunatly i dont think i would play idarb:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

maximoose wrote: »

Would agree here. The 360/PS3 offerings are where the best games are.

If I power my 360 back up do I need to re-download the profile from the XO or will it just update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I could count on one hand the number of good games on Xbox One that have been part of Games with Gold - there have been only two games with a Metacritic rating higher than 80 (Guacamelee and Super Time Force). And again, when put alongside what PS4 owners have had with Playstation +, there's a big disparity. Along with that, there have been 30 PS+ games for PS4 compared with 11 Games With Gold for Xbox One.

To be honest, I'm quite happy with the games with gold, mainly because they're titles I'd never spend money on.fair enough, panzer dragoon or whatever its called was terrible but Guacamelee was fantastic, as was max: the curse of brotherhood, Worms is always a good laugh, and I'm told chariot is pretty enjoyable too. Likewise, I was interested in D4, but never would have paid money for it. Its a bit much to expect them to give away AAA titles for free on a console thats just over a year old - most of which I've probably bought myself anyway. And fair enough if you want to compare it to Sonys service, but I didn't sign up to xbox live for free games when I first joined 9 years ago, I see them as a bonus - nothing more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

logik wrote: »
    Would agree here. The 360/PS3 offerings are where the best games are.

If I power my 360 back up do I need to re-download the profile from the XO or will it just update?

There shouldn't be any difference, your profile should just continue on.

CatInABox wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any difference, your profile should just continue on.

Think I will do this later and download Brothers. Cheers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Think I will do this later and download Brothers. Cheers

Another way of doing it is going to Xbox.com and getting it from there. Once you click download on the game on Xbox.com, then you've got it on your purchase list. You can download it at any time then.

The Games with Gold page is here.*

*It hasn't updated yet for me, but will in a few hours.

Comparing two services which arent like for like isnt useful. Look at the mess that that PSN network has been over the last year or so.

to be fair, xbox live isn't exactly covering itself in glory lately either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Free? When did a Gold subscription become free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

to be fair, xbox live isn't exactly covering itself in glory lately either.

I keep saying that stone it's issue after issue very infuriating seems every day there's some live problems

• Advertisement

Free? When did a Gold subscription become free?

I've subscribed to xbox live for 7 years and for most of that time no games were given away so I see them as free games. Maybe you are new to xbox live?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

daUbiq wrote: »
    I've subscribed to xbox live for 7 years and for most of that time no games were given away so I see them as free games. Maybe you are new to xbox live?

Patronisation aside, what you see them as is fairly irrelevant, as is the length of your xbox live gold membership.
    Games with Gold is a selling point of xbox live gold, brought in as a direct response to psn's own initiative to offer games as part of it's online service.

These games are not free, you are required to have an active gold sub to avail of and continue using any games from the games with gold catalogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My 2 cents: I still see them as free and would still happily pay for Xbox Live without them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    My 2 cents: I still see them as free and would still happily pay for Xbox Live without them.

Of course, what's been given so far has been shockingly poor compared to its rival service :)

Of course, what's been given so far has been shockingly poor compared to its rival service :)

but you'd have to wonder, did the rival service only offer free games to get people accepting of the yearly subscription model?

most certainly.

And If you cruise the PS4 forums, they complain about their free games as much as we do, the usual moaning about too many indies, old games, etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Annnd unfollow thread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Your not buying Gold to get the free games.

I only buy Gold for a month whenever I want the particular games available. I don't play online.

I get 2 months worth of games by joining at the end of the month.

Have only opted for this 2 times in the last year (largely due to indifference regarding the games on offer) so worked out cheaper than paying for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MOD: Knock it off guys , whether or not games with gold is good or poor is an argument that always ends up going around in circles.

There is borderline childishness here from several posters who should really know better, any further posts in this manner will result in warning or a week off.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Another way of doing it is going to Xbox.com and getting it from there. Once you click download on the game on Xbox.com, then you've got it on your purchase list. You can download it at any time then.

The Games with Gold page is here.*

*It hasn't updated yet for me, but will in a few hours.

Thanks for the link. I see the Witcher 2 is still there. That worth getting? Not played the series at all.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,383 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks for the link. I see the Witcher 2 is still there. That worth getting? Not played the series at all.

Brilliant game. If you like rpgs like Dragon age or mass effect it's a must buy (it's better than those though!)

Advertisement