Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with Gold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I downloaded Might and Magic last night and it's good craic alright

My wife likes puzzle games and this has a local multiplayer so it's a game we can play together.

It took a few minutes to get the hang of it (we didn't bother with a tutorial, just dived into the multiplayer) but it's a very strategic game but simple to pick up and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Great game, well worth a play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Is Halo 3, the last of the Games with Gold, or is there more next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Is Halo 3, the last of the Games with Gold, or is there more next month?
    The "Games with Gold" program will be running through to the end of the year.

The "Games with Gold" program will be running through to the end of the year.

Cool, hopefully get something from it so. All I got so far is that Might and Magic game.

• Advertisement

Looks promising for the continued lifecycle of the 360 after 'One' releases.
    Engadget wrote:
    Microsoft's Xbox 360 monthly free game promo, "Games with Gold," is being extended indefinitely. The program is essentially Microsoft's response on Xbox 360 to Sony's PlayStation Plus initiative on PlayStation 3 and Vita: members who pay the monthly or annual fee to the programs receive a variety of free games each month. Sony announced an extension of its program to its next game console, the PlayStation 4, back at E3 2013 -- anyone who already pays for PS Plus on PS3 or Vita is automatically a member on PS4.

Microsoft, however, won't say if "Games with Gold" will extend to its upcoming game console, the Xbox One. "We're excited to announce we are extending Games with Gold for Xbox 360. We will share more details on the program soon. Stay tuned for our plans on Xbox One," a Microsoft spokesperson told Engadget. There are, of course, many other benefits to paying for an Xbox Live Gold account on the Xbox One, the least of which is the ability to play online multiplayer games.

Games with Gold kicked off in July 2013 with the aged Xbox Live Arcade title Defense Grid, and has since offered a smattering of other titles, from Crackdown to Dead Rising 2. This month's free games are Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes and Halo 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭klose

Never played halo before but downloaded it anyways and its good fun although i do suck at it. Much different to the other shooters around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

klose wrote: »
    Never played halo before but downloaded it anyways and its good fun although i do suck at it. Much different to the other shooters around.

thats why people liked it ;)
    new one is bit crap IMO

Any speculation on what Novembers 2 games might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Can halo still be downloaded today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Can halo still be downloaded today
    Yep it's free until the end of the month

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

"A World of Keflings" and "Iron Brigade". I know nothing about either.

See here.

Edit: Iron Brigade is a Double Fine Productions game, so that's certainly got my attention.

CatInABox wrote: »
    "A World of Keflings" and "Iron Brigade". I know nothing about either.

See here.

Iron Brigade could be worth getting, Giant walking tanks in a WWI setting.
    A World of Keflings, I think is like a super basic version of The Settlers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Ugh, A world of kefflings and Iron Brigade are the 2 free games for November.

Iron Brigade (or Trenched) looks kinda good but I've no interest in the Kefflings game.

Overall I have to wonder why bother to continue this offer if this is the kind of offerings they are willing to go with. Should they not be trying to rival the PS+ system in some way?

http://majornelson.com/2013/10/31/games-with-gold-a-world-of-keflings-and-iron-brigade-free-in-november/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Bit of a poor offering alright. They're both not bad games, but as has been the case with Games with Gold so far, its laughable in comparison to PS+.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

mise wrote: »
    Bit of a poor offering alright. They're both not bad games, but as has been the case with Games with Gold so far, its laughable in comparison to PS+.

A world of Keflings looks absolutely awful! Iron Brigade looks meh.

Well its blatantly obvious that MS don't give a toss about competing with PS+ or about what anyone says about their Games with Gold offerings.

Ancients games, and obscure XBLA tiles seems to be the best the service has to offer, and costs MS nothing, as they properly aren't selling any of these anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

I have both of those games already :/ I didn't much care for Iron Brigade I'm not really a tower defence type of person

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Well its blatantly obvious that MS don't give a toss about competing with PS+ or about what anyone says about their Games with Gold offerings.

Ancients games, and obscure XBLA tiles seems to be the best the service has to offer, and costs MS nothing, as they properly aren't selling any of these anymore.

I'd be absolutely shocked if they've sold a single copy of either of those games in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

another bloody tower defence game
    have they not learned anything from the 1month :L god I ain't gonna bother with this anymore
    theirs free then theirs given away because no one buys these games
    pure scabby bastards haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I have never even heard of those games. I was hoping for Lost Planet and maybe King Kong. What a terrible service. Four years of gold membership and this is what the offer, Microsoft deserve to lose the next gen competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Moan moan moan. 6 months ago we got nothing for the sub. Three games out of this I didn't have but enjoyed (AC, Halo 3 and Crackdown) which is more than I got in the previous years of having Xbox live.

Anyway, it was obvious next month was going to be **** with Halo this month and the One releasing next month. I would expect the December 16th freebie to be a good one for Xmas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The way I see it, if MS are going to keep giving away sh!te of this calibre, they may as well not bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Rascasse wrote: »
    Moan moan moan. 6 months ago we got nothing for the sub. Three games out of this I didn't have but enjoyed (AC, Halo 3 and Crackdown) which is more than I got in the previous years of having Xbox live.

Anyway, it was obvious next month was going to be **** with Halo this month and the One releasing next month. I would expect the December 16th freebie to be a good one for Xmas.

But, tbf, if you're going to do something at least try to make a good go of it and not just give freebies that noone would consider buying anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The way I see it, if MS are going to keep giving away sh!te of this calibre, they may as well not bother at all.

I rather suspect that's the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I played Keflings on my other account and it's been a while but to anyone who gets it save often and to different slots there were some serious game breaking bugs when I played it hence me not doing it on my main account, i knew there were bugs, i got totally screwed around 75% in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Rascasse wrote: »

We are entitled to moan. If these are the paltry offers MS think they can rival PS3 with, well they deserve to get their ass kicked when they face off with PS next gen.

Don't get me wrong I am a staunch 360 supporter but if they want to rival PS3 (and rival PS4 with the XB1) then they need to at least have parity with what the PS3 release every month.

This program is a bit like Sonic the Hedgehogs games. You're always looking forward to the next one thinking they've finally got it right, but end up feeling somewhat disappointed.

Its probably a way to keep publishers sweet (they get 'x' amount of dollars for a game that really isn't selling much any more, possibly some DLC will be bought by customers as well).

We get to play some games that we mightn't have bought before (sometimes with good reason). And, heck, might even enjoy for a bit.

Or, if there's enough stink on the internet you might get a decent game like crackdown or dead rising.

But, by then we've already renewed our Gold sub, so there's always next month.

Next month they'll get it right. Won't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

If PS+ didn't exist, this would be fine. But when the direct competition is bringing out Far Cry 3, Remember Me and MGS Rising ( just to name a few of the recent PS+ entries) it just seems lazy on microsoft's part

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

If PS+ didn't exist, this would be fine. But when the direct competition is bringing out Far Cry 3, Remember Me and MGS Rising ( just to name a few of the recent PS+ entries) it just seems lazy on microsoft's part

Lazy? I'd call it downright stingey on their part as they won't pay the dollars to get the good games, instead we get unknown xrap titles, and titles from half a decade ago.

Advertisement