Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with Gold

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Not letting me get it for free, it keeps asking to confirm the payment, I've checked my region and everything, no problem getting Force Unleashed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Not letting me get it for free, it keeps asking to confirm the payment, I've checked my region and everything, no problem getting Force Unleashed though

get the free version here

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/live/games-with-gold?xr=shellnav

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah, but is the payment "Free"? It goes through their system as a "purchase", despite costing nothing.

No, it was giving the amount, I've sorted it now though, threatened the computer with some water in its circuits if it didnt comply with my request :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

New to the whole Xbox live gold thing as only just got Xbox one....currently downloading project cars without issue and was hoping to download Star Wars also but it's telling me it's 14.99 rather than free....any suggestions???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    New to the whole Xbox live gold thing as only just got Xbox one....currently downloading project cars without issue and was hoping to download Star Wars also but it's telling me it's 14.99 rather than free....any suggestions???

Try this link, and make sure that you're signed in?

CatInABox wrote: »
    Try this link, and make sure that you're signed in?

Signed in alright but still saying 14.99 when I click in to buy....why isn't it coming through on the Xbox itself as free though??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Signed in alright but still saying 14.99 when I click in to buy....why isn't it coming through on the Xbox itself as free though??

Are you in Ireland? Sometimes I get the same problem presumably due to time difference, just wait one day and try again.

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Are you in Ireland? Sometimes I get the same problem presumably due to time difference, just wait one day and try again.

Right, should have mentioned that I've set my console up as being in Ireland but my actual location is the Middle East...ill check in again and see if it's caught up....project cars is working fine anyway! I don't remember car games being as tricky back in the day using a joystick or a bit later keys!! Maybe I just gotta get used to the game pad!!

Right, should have mentioned that I've set my console up as being in Ireland but my actual location is the Middle East...ill check in again and see if it's caught up....project cars is working fine anyway! I don't remember car games being as tricky back in the day using a joystick or a bit later keys!! Maybe I just gotta get used to the game pad!!

Ah, the region difference could also be the issue, Xbox One games are region free, which is why you can get that one fine, but 360 games are still region restricted, so that's caused issues for people in the past.

In fact, with my Xbox set to the UK, I couldn't get one of the games with gold for the 360 a couple of years ago. You might need to VPN into Ireland and "purchase" from xbox.com that way.

• Advertisement

Ah, the region difference could also be the issue, Xbox One games are region free, which is why you can get that one fine, but 360 games are still region restricted, so that's caused issues for people in the past.

In fact, with my Xbox set to the UK, I couldn't get one of the games with gold for the 360 a couple of years ago. You might need to VPN into Ireland and "purchase" from xbox.com that way.

so is it a case that not all games are free in certain regions? I thought he whole region thing was gay it either works or it doesn't in a region not whether it would be free or not in gold....but maybe you're right....would make sense that that was why it doesn't work for me...

so is it a case that not all games are free in certain regions? I thought he whole region thing was gay it either works or it doesn't in a region not whether it would be free or not in gold....but maybe you're right....would make sense that that was why it doesn't work for me...

Yeah, there's a few different "region" restrictions in play, I believe Microsoft won't give out an adult rated game in places like Germany and Japan, due to cultural and regulatory differences there.

In your case though, I'd imagine that it's just the plain old region restriction so that you can't buy games from outside your region. Not sure of the exact reasoning behind it, but I believe they wanted to stop people buying it cheaper from other countries. It's truly a pain when you run into it, as it doesn't happen on every game, just some.

I'm just glad they saw sense on it in time for the Xbox One generation.

EDIT: Despite the fact that the game is "free", it's still a "purchase" on their system, meaning it goes through all the same checks as a normal purchase.

Yeah, there's a few different "region" restrictions in play, I believe Microsoft won't give out an adult rated game in places like Germany and Japan, due to cultural and regulatory differences there.

In your case though, I'd imagine that it's just the plain old region restriction so that you can't buy games from outside your region. Not sure of the exact reasoning behind it, but I believe they wanted to stop people buying it cheaper from other countries. It's truly a pain when you run into it, as it doesn't happen on every game, just some.

I'm just glad they saw sense on it in time for the Xbox One generation.

Fair enough....not too pushed anyway. Just trying to build up a small range of games that I can dip into and out of when other commitments and interests allow. Had a go at project cars last night and that'll scratch the racing game itch for free for a while! It's great, can pretty much cover all bases with gold and ea access for modest enough money for the year....could even get by on ea access alone to be honest....some deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

The game will be free for you as your account is based on Ireland, what will happen is that when you try to purchase it will tell you there's a problem and to try again later. If you're seeing it with a price then it's likely the time difference issue. If I remember correctly the Star Wars game is region locked and I needed to VPN (use tunnel bear) to Ireland in order to "purchase" it. Note that with some games after your console downloads you still won't be able to play if you're in the "wrong" region, they'll look like corrupt data on your xbox drive. I haven't tried setting you the VPN on my router, presumably that would fool the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

C5SAU_DWEAIvq49.jpg:small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Nice! Was curious about Evolve when it was going cheap but heard it had been all but abandoned and no player base, will give it a look now.

Layers of Fear looks decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Borderlands 2 is an awesome game.

That's a pretty good month, must try and get back into Borderlands 2, just couldn't get going on it for some reason.

I've wanted to try Evolve myself after the free weekend a while back but I too thought there wasnt that many people playing anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

maximoose wrote: »
    Nice! Was curious about Evolve when it was going cheap but heard it had been all but abandoned and no player base, will give it a look now.

Layers of Fear looks decent

Funnily enough, lots of games with gold dont really get the shot in the arm you'd imagine from going free. I was hopeful that I'd be able to finish the mulitplayer achievements in sunset overdrive when it went free, but it was still a ghost town for the most part.

And sunset was awesome, what I've played of evolve was decidedly not awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Funnily enough, lots of games with gold dont really get the shot in the arm you'd imagine from going free. I was hopeful that I'd be able to finish the mulitplayer achievements in sunset overdrive when it went free, but it was still a ghost town for the most part.

Found the same with Project Cars. Trying online last week, was putting me into lobbies with 3 others.
    One or two of them would quit after a few minutes too, after crashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

3 outta 4 games I've nearly bought in sales. Hurray for not buying for the sake of a bargain. I probably would not have played any of them by now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Heavy weapon one of the ea access games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Sweet, only finished Borderlands recently after getting it free last year. Will enjoy getting stuck into Borderlands 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

layers of fear looks good

I'll pass on evolve was boring when i tried the beta and when it went free on pc ages ago

Hococop wrote: »
    Heavy weapon one of the ea access games?

It is. Knew I'd seen it somewhere, just didn't think it was going to be my ready to install list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Evolve is terrible :/ BL2 is superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Evolve is terrible :/ BL2 is superb.

Evolve Reviews

IGN 9/10
    Gamespot 8/10
    Game Infromer 8.5/10
    PC Gamer 8.3/10

Hardly terrible in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

murpho999 wrote: »
    Evolve Reviews

IGN 9/10
    Gamespot 8/10
    Game Infromer 8.5/10
    PC Gamer 8.3/10

Bought the premium edition at launch, played it for 30 minutes, didn't play it again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

murpho999 wrote: »
    Evolve Reviews

IGN 9/10
    Gamespot 8/10
    Game Infromer 8.5/10
    PC Gamer 8.3/10

You have to wonder how much it costs to buy a good review.

I'm not liking this pattern of putting games GWG in an attempt to boost lagging or disappointing sales. It has a very bargain bin feel to it. We should be getting the odd gem for our money. There have been maybe 3 so far for xbox one: Tomb Raider, Sunset Overdrive... I had a 3rd but I've forgotten. It's not enough.

Advertisement