Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with Gold

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Isn't Evolve completely dead from a dev standpoint?

How long will the servers even be left on for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bought the premium edition at launch, played it for 30 minutes, didn't play it again :pac:

Asymmetric multiplayer is a great idea in theory, but falls down in practice, at least in most cases. It explains the great review scores as well, as every reviewer sees the best side of the game, playing solely with other people that want to get the most/best out of the game.

Played with people who want to get the best/most out of it, it's probably an 8 or 9. Played with randomers that just want a quick multiplayer game, it's probably a 5 or 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

qrx wrote: »
    You have to wonder how much it costs to buy a good review.

I'm not liking this pattern of putting games GWG in an attempt to boost lagging or disappointing sales. It has a very bargain bin feel to it. We should be getting the odd gem for our money. There have been maybe 3 so far for xbox one: Tomb Raider, Sunset Overdrive... I had a 3rd but I've forgotten. It's not enough.

So you think all good reviews are just bought. Very cynical view.

I don't see how giving a game away free will boost sales apart from in game content.

You complain that they should drop the odd gem and then quote 3 gems that they have dropped over the last 18 months. So I don't see what the issue is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

murpho999 wrote: »
    So you think all good reviews are just bought. Very cynical view.

I don't see how giving a game away free will boost sales apart from in game content.

You complain that they should drop the odd gem and then quote 3 gems that they have dropped over the last 18 months. So I don't see what the issue is.

I don't think he feels that all good reviews are bought, but a lot of those sites would be massively advertiser driven, which leads to a certain element of bias. Also, its not uncommon for publishers to have laid on big press junkets to show off their game.

in one way, the recent trend of not allowing games to be reviewed until after launch day, actually serves the purpose of allowing reviewers deliver an unbiased opinion on the actuual quality of the product on the disc, and not some controlled environment test build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

You have to wonder how much it costs to buy a good review.

I'm not liking this pattern of putting games GWG in an attempt to boost lagging or disappointing sales. It has a very bargain bin feel to it. We should be getting the odd gem for our money. There have been maybe 3 so far for xbox one: Tomb Raider, Sunset Overdrive... I had a 3rd but I've forgotten. It's not enough.

We do get the odd gem

Valiant Hearts was great, I really enjoyed The Wolf Among Us

GWG has led to me playing alot of games I otherwise wouldnt have touched

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

I'm sorry but the majority of GWG is pure drivel. I've a massive list of waiting to install games I have no interest in playing. I don't think I am overly cynical or have a peculiar taste in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

I'm sorry but the majority of GWG is pure drivel. I've a massive list of waiting to install games I have no interest in playing. I don't think I am overly cynical or have a peculiar taste in games.

If the free games they give out are all game you like you probably will own them already and be giving out bout that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

I'm criticizing the system they have. It's a digital bargain bin. I think it could be better. 4 free games a year of better quality. Or even a choose of 4 so called AAA games or 8 indie games. you get to pick and choose what games you want out of a stronger catalogue. Have all the previously GWG titles permanently available for selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wanted to like Evolve, in fact I was looking forward to it immensely considering it's from the Left4Dead crew, but I actually hated it. There have been a few OK games on GWG but I agree that generally it's a poor offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,506 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

naughtb4 wrote: »
    We do get the odd gem

Valiant Hearts was great, I really enjoyed The Wolf Among Us

GWG has led to me playing alot of games I otherwise wouldnt have touched

Brothers a tale of 2 sons, Battleblocks Theatre, The Rayman games, Dungeon Defenders, Battlefield Bad Co 2, Terraria... Dead Space...Grid 2All great titles, and thats just an example of some of the great gwg games just for the 360

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Akrasia wrote: »
    Brothers a tale of 2 sons, Battleblocks Theatre, The Rayman games, Dungeon Defenders, Battlefield Bad Co 2, Terraria... Dead Space...Grid 2All great titles, and thats just an example of some of the great gwg games just for the 360

Ah, if the games don't do it for you, then they don't do it for you. Personally, I'm happy enough with four free games a month, possibly because I still remember paying for Gold back when we didn't have "games with gold" at all.

Layers of Fear is free now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I see on xbox.com that Microsoft are bringing in a new "XBOX Game Pass" for the XBOX One, anyone have any insider information? Will this be the end of Games With Gold?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

SuperS54 wrote: »
    I see on xbox.com that Microsoft are bringing in a new "XBOX Game Pass" for the XBOX One, anyone have any insider information? Will this be the end of Games With Gold?!

There's a thread nearby about the game pass. It's been noted that this is not the end of gwg. I suspect it might have an effect on the quality of gwg but nobody knows yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

SuperS54 wrote:

There's a Games Pass thread already set up here in the Xbox forum, check it out.

But to answer your question, no it won't be the end of GWG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

CatInABox wrote: »
    Layers of Fear is free now.

Ditto Borderlands 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Evolve Reviews

IGN 9/10
    Gamespot 8/10
    Game Infromer 8.5/10
    PC Gamer 8.3/10

Hardly terrible in fairness.

I loved L4D seriously one of my favourite multiplayer series ever but i hated Evolve. played it for about an hour and never touched it again, 3 of my friends were the same.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I loved L4D seriously one of my favourite multiplayer series ever but i hated Evolve. played it for about an hour and never touched it again, 3 of my friends were the same.

Jim sterling did a video recently on it and it's not pretty viewing. I could tell like you with in an hour it was a **** show and thankfully that was in the beta so I spent no money. I mean who thinks it's a good idea to take what is essentially a game mode from a bigger game and make a whole game of it. would have been fine if it was 4 vs the space horde like L4D and this 4v1 was an extra mode and we got left 4 dead in space but no we didn't get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

wexdevil wrote: »

Thanks for that link. I logged into my MS account and under the Games with Gold section there was no information of the currently available links or any download links. Tried with Chrome and Edge and same result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

bajer101 wrote: »
    Thanks for that link. I logged into my MS account and under the Games with Gold section there was no information of the currently available links or any download links. Tried with Chrome and Edge and same result.
    The link above worked for me. Click on the link again once you are logged in.

*Make sure the store region is set to Ireland, bottom left corner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads the evolve freebie is glitched. I was charged 39.99 earlier and ms refunded but said they know about a bug so give it a day or two before trying to buy it again.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Lads the evolve freebie is glitched. I was charged 39.99 earlier and ms refunded but said they know about a bug so give it a day or two before trying to buy it again.

Harsh. I got it without issue, but somethings obviously gone wrong since if you're getting charged.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

CatInABox wrote: »
    Harsh. I got it without issue, but somethings obviously gone wrong since if you're getting charged.

It shows as free but is charging some people. Refund straight away but just be careful when clicking thru lads as ms said the publisher made them aware of the issue.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    It shows as free but is charging some people. Refund straight away but just be careful when clicking thru lads as ms said the publisher made them aware of the issue.

Bad enough that the Games with Gold is Evolve, then to get charged 40 blips for it! Outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

atLFicrl.jpg

Wonder if this turns out to be legit.

oops meant to post this in GwG thread -_-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,320 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

wexdevil wrote: »
    atLFicrl.jpg

Wonder if this turns out to be legit.

oops meant to post this in GwG thread -_-

Today you Ryse would be next month ;)

Bloody game better be good after all this suspense!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Available 1st of April.....1st of April.....

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Available 1st of April.....1st of April.....

They be trollin'

Advertisement