Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT Prep course

Options
  • 01-07-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm going into 6th year, really want to do medicine, and I'm considering doing a HPAT prep course.

Basically my question is: Should I go for the one that includes a 2 day course, or is the one with practice material and solutions/strategies sufficient?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

I'm in the exact same position as you right now. In my opinion it is crazy paying nearly 700 euro! I am considering the course without the 2 day course.....Are you thinking of MED entry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JojenReed

It's totally disgraceful...
    My only logic is that if other people are preparing for it, then I have to as well, in order to compete.

Yep I'm thinking MED Entry. I kind of just want to get the Distance package without the 2 day course as well...
    But if it so happens that I'm convinced that 2 day course is worth it , I'd be up for getting it on the group discount, if you're interested.

I'm wondering if the 2 day course is actually worth the money or do they just tell us what everyone else says , to read more and basically just go through the layout etc ... Yeah I'd be interested ! More than likely tho ill be getting it in September !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

If you can get someone to sign up with you (any random boardsie once you're sure they're legitimately going for it will do), go for the full package as that includes a mock exam under proper exam conditions which is pretty helpful, but if you can't get anyone I don't think it's really worth the extra few hundred, the online stuff is by far the best part of ME.

• Advertisement

That's great news, I think the non verbal reasoning is by far the trickiest section.

I want to get it soon, and I think the distance package will do me just fine; I'd be happy just some practice material.

I'll post here what I think of it when I get it, and if for some reason I think you should get the 2 day course one, I'll let ya know. But, as Slow Show said, the online content seems to be the best part of ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shanrahan

Im going into sixth year in september and I'm looking to do the two day Med Entry coarse in cork at Halloween and get the group premium package. But I don't know anybody who wants to do medicine aswell and there's no way ill pay 300euro more just because I don't know anybody. So if anyone is in the same situation as I am and wants to help each other other out I'd be very happy if you contacted me!

I'm just after talking to one of my friends and they told me that the 2 day workshop is a load of crap and not worth the extra hundreds ! All he got was another exam paper with solutions and did the mock exam and after all that he thinks that the online material is enough for somebody who is willing to out in the sweat ! :) so I think ill just stick with the standard package and forget about the two day course :/// what ye think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shanrahan

I think you're best off doing the 2 day prep course. It's 90 euro more if you do it with a group than the standard and they wouldn't spend two days doing nothing in my opinion maybe your friend just didnt have a good approach to the coarse. Or maybe that's just not the way they learn. I'm definetly gonna do the 2day course because I don't want to be going into the exam at a disadvantage.

So I've thought about it some more, and I think the €90 extra is well worth the 2 day course.

Anyone interested in doing it as well, please message me; we can go for a group discount Platinum package asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 user1995

I would be interested in joining the group for the course.
    Message me back with info so i can the group.
    Thanks.

Sorry I've already activated the group, so it doesn't allow any new members to join...

Best thing would be to start a thread looking for someone to form a group with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shmuel

Hi all, just to let ye know that Career Services do one day courses for a MUCH cheaper price.. http://careerservices.ie/hpat-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bccedahern

Thinking of doing one of these myself... The career services one that is. When is the best time to do it does anyone know? October or January?

bccedahern wrote: »
    Thinking of doing one of these myself... The career services one that is. When is the best time to do it does anyone know? October or January?
    I'm doing M.E course and chosen January as I think if you have a good mind set you will be studying well for this until January and then you can really see where you're going wrong and what's your percentage. Where as if you do it in October you're still fresh at it and I don't think the mock exam will benefit you at that time. Basically I think January will show where you are and I think October can even put you off it of you don't do too well. I know it's near the mocks but I think I'm gonna benefit more doing the January one but hey that's just my opinion :) I heard career services are good but they just don't give enough practice material :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Strongly disagree, October was the perfect time imo. I learned quite a bit about techniques etc.,(For me, having them explained in person worked better than reading the guides) and I was determined to improve as my mock exam was less-than-great, got a predicted percentile of 70-80 which was really like 50th percentile or something 'cos they're annoyingly optimistic about your chances. :p And meh the mock exam put me off for like a day, I went on to prove them wrong anyway and that's the attitude you've gotta have. :)

Slow Show wrote: »
    Strongly disagree, October was the perfect time imo. I learned quite a bit about techniques etc.,(For me, having them explained in person worked better than reading the guides) and I was determined to improve as my mock exam was less-than-great, got a predicted percentile of 70-80 which was really like 50th percentile or something 'cos they're annoyingly optimistic about your chances. :p And meh the mock exam put me off for like a day, I went on to prove them wrong anyway and that's the attitude you've gotta have. :)
    To be honest I was in the exact same position last night trying to choose what date to go and I just went with January because the mock was closer but I guess it's just up to the person , and I don't think I'd be prepared for October anyways :) you're freaking me out now haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Hey guys, did the HPat last year and did Med E, i would definitely say doing the 2 day course is worth it. with something like the HPAT the more information you get the better, and i would advise doing the course as early as possible. however, the most important thing to do is the complete all the online material. and i mean all of it. whatever you do do not go into the actual exam without completely absolutely every question on the LMS.

The course in the institute i also did. it was extremely poor, however, you do get an extra 6 or so practice tests which should be treated like gold dust.

if you are choosing between January and october, definitely go for october. the vast majority of the stuff you wont get right away and waiting till january to discover that there is a section that you are weak at is not a smart move. don't worry how bad you do in the test in october you have a months to improve. my predicted result was 40 or os percentiles lower than the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bzaq

Hello!

I've set up a group on Med Entry Hpat Course and am looking for someone to join so that we can avail of the group discount.

Please pm me as soon as possible if you are interested.

Thank you.

Advertisement