Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 Hours Contract - Much of a Salary?

• 01-07-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,

I've an interview for 9 hours this week and it would be 9 of my very own hours, not a maternity leave. Is this a major coupe these days?

As I am should be on the pre Jan 2011 scale, anyone know how much would that translate to in terms of salary very roughly?

Thanks for your help,

Elaine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

1Elainey1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've an interview for 9 hours this week and it would be 9 of my very own hours, not a maternity leave. Is this a major coupe these days?

As I am should be on the pre Jan 2011 scale, anyone know how much would that translate to in terms of salary very roughly?

Thanks for your help,

Elaine
    Counting your chickens a little early, aren't we? But yes, any hours of your own are a bit of a coup these days. 9 hours should mean you'll get the vast majority of your gross so it shouldn't be that hard to calculate I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1Elainey1

Thanks RealJohn, yeah counting my chickens real early alright!, but I've been teaching in UK for past 3 years, so ive no real lie of the land at the moment. one last question, how do you find out which scale and increment you are on, do you ring the teaching council? or draw battle lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Thanks RealJohn, yeah counting my chickens real early alright!, but I've been teaching in UK for past 3 years, so ive no real lie of the land at the moment. one last question, how do you find out which scale and increment you are on, do you ring the teaching council? or draw battle lines.
    Some of the scales are on the union websites. Haven't looked in a while so I'm not sure if they have all of the different ones though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi all,

Thanks for your help,

Elaine

Add up the point on the scale you are entitled to along with whatever allowance you are entitled to and multiply by 9/22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Well done on getting hours. Keep an eye out for better- even a career break or mat leave. I was delighted with a contract similar to yours but really all I did was sacrifice a year of my life to crap pay. I was there Mon-Fri anyway and I got very little subbing. Realistically if HRA goes through you will have less subbing. I lost the hours after a year due to cutbacks. I am now happier to take a career break over 9 hours. I would take 18 of my own hours because they are all unlikely to be lost the next year but 9 is too easy to be lost to decreases in LS and loss of concessionary hours etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement